Five Movies - questions/spoilers/whatever

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Kill Bill vol. 2: Holy crap, was this disappointing or what? Way too much banter. Training sequences were good, and the fight with Elle Driver was excellent, but no showdown with Budd? And the whole build up to fighting the BIG BOSS, Bill, was over in 30 seconds? WTF? Granted, I've yet to see the deleted fight sequence with Bill, but still....

I think I'll stick to the awesome vol 1 and just flick over to either The Good the Bad and the Ugly, Battle Royale, or City of the Living Dead each time vol 1 ends.

(Oh and what the fuck happened to O-Ren Ishii's lawyer after Beatrix cut her arm off and dumped her in the trunk of the car at the end of vol. 1?)

Bubba Ho-Tep: Can Bruce Campbell do no wrong? Probably, but not here! He is brilliant, and worth seeing the movie if you're a fan of his, otherwise it's B-movie madness which will obviously go ignored by the masses. The best sequence is Campbell (as an aging Elvis Presley) fighting an evil Egyptian Scarrab with a bedpan.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: It's mindless entertainment, completely based on the fantasy world set within the comic, but did it really deserve all the harsh criticism from the press? Geez, I've seen a lot worse. For an HBO viewing when nothing else is on, it 'aint that bad at all....

Aliens vs. Predator: Who's seen it? Just tell me, is it worth seeing on the big screen or can we wait for the DVD?

The Exorcist (Prequel): That trailer shits me up. I must see it when it comes out this Friday. Anyone else going to see this at the theater?

I have seen none of those. I will rent KBII soon. I want to see AVP, but reviews are lukewarm at best, so it looks like another rental.

Here are 2 good reviews: www.joblo.com, one coming from a regular joe, and one from a horror movie buff.

Kill Bill 2 is (of course) great. I wasnt dissapointed, it was different than vol 1 and there wouldnt be any point on making the same movie again. Loved many of the dialogues (Bill and Black Mamba talking beside the fire for example).
I really want to see the Exorcist prequel..unfortunately it will come here in November ....

IOfTheStorm said:
Kill Bill 2 is (of course) great. I wasnt dissapointed, it was different than vol 1 and there wouldnt be any point on making the same movie again.
Well, that's just it. It's not a separately made movie - Kill Bill was just one big movie cut in half by the studios. I dunno, I guess the split down the middle killed the momentum for me. Oh well....I still think that considering parts of the film were an homage to Bruce Lee's Game of Death, with the main actor going through several bosses, the lack of any 'proper disposal' of either Budd or Bill was just lame. Especially Bill - I was hoping for a good ten minutes of blitzkrieg action at least!

I really want to see the Exorcist prequel..unfortunately it will come here in November ....
Yeah, I'd like to see both versions, but for now, I'll def see this one in the theater.

IOfTheStorm said:
Oh and O Ren's lawyer was the most beautiful of all the females of both movies.
Yeah, I'd agree to that.

But come on man, you don't think the showdown with Bill was over a bit too quick? I wanted the whole Kung Fu shit to kick in before going to sword play, some gun action, and then ending with the "Five Fingers of Death" or whatever. He could have at least thrown out some Grasshopper quotes or something too.

What's the total running time of both films back to back? It would be about 5 hours right?

The Exorcist prequel looks good ... the trailer looks damn good actually.
I am just afraid though that with Renny Harlin, Mr. Cliffhanger at the helm, there will be some cheese factor to it. Hope not though.

Kill Bill 2 ... have it on my quoue list on Netlfix, the first one was my least favorite QT movie, so I am not holding my breath for this one.

The League ... will have to catch this on HBO this week. Looks good, in a Wild Wild West kinda numbing way.

JayKeeley said:
Aliens vs. Predator: Who's seen it? Just tell me, is it worth seeing on the big screen or can we wait for the DVD?

I quite enjoyed the Alien and Predator films, so i probably wouldn't mind seeing it but from what I’ve heard, it has being getting plenty of negative reviews from critics and the public alike.

JayKeeley said:
But come on man, you don't think the showdown with Bill was over a bit too quick? I wanted the whole Kung Fu shit to kick in before going to sword play, some gun action, and then ending with the "Five Fingers of Death" or whatever. He could have at least thrown out some Grasshopper quotes or something too.

What's the total running time of both films back to back? It would be about 5 hours right?
Well, to be honest i would consider their whole debate (while their daughter was asleep) to be that SHOWDOWN. It wasnt just katana blades, but more than that. It had to be different. And i was expecting something more than another (extraordinary) fight.
Total times for both films: less than 4 hours and 30 minutes i think

lurch70 said:
The Exorcist prequel looks good ... the trailer looks damn good actually.
I am just afraid though that with Renny Harlin, Mr. Cliffhanger at the helm, there will be some cheese factor to it. Hope not though.
I think there will be some cheese. Apparently they shelved the original (meaning they made a whole movie and decided it didn't have the 'summer blockbuster appeal' for teenage kids because it was too 'arthouse') and called Renny Harlin in to make a mainstream horror flick with the same crew of actors instead. I'll still see it, but I'm definitely not going to ignore the original if it ever makes it to DVD one day.

I know I'm in the minority when I say I prefer arthouse or indie movies anyway.

Here's the skinny on AvP - it's probably slightly better than Predator 2 and slightly worse than Alien 3 (of course, most people hated that one more than me). It easily demolishes the abomination that was Alien 4. It has awesome F/X, especially the stuff with the Predators vision modes (so much cooler than the original), mediocre to bad acting, and enough lame moments to make you annoyed, but there's some cool fights to balance it out. It's basically what I expected from Paul WS Anderson, who is a mediocre director and terrible writer.

Verdict: wait for the rental or see it in the $1 theater

Under a Stone said:
I quite enjoyed the Alien and Predator films, so i probably wouldn't mind seeing it but from what I’ve heard, it has being getting plenty of negative reviews from critics and the public alike.
So far, Paul W Anderson has delivered average movies at best so I'm not holding my breath. That review link J posted summed up my fears with the PG-13 rating for what seems like a teenage MTV audience. Why they gave him this job is beyond me. How he got the Resident Evil gig with lashings of $$ budget over George Romero is even more ludicrous, but I digress...

Kill Bill 2: liked it more than Part 1. I love how Tarantino messes with his audience, not giving them what they want and/or expect (i.e. Jaykeeley).

Bubba-Ho-Tep: funny and enjoyable; I loved JFK.

League...: haven't seen the movie, but Alan Moore is godly. Just read Watchmen and tell me that it isn't one of the greatest works of literature of the past 20 years.

Black Winter Day said:
Kill Bill 2: liked it more than Part 1. I love how Tarantino messes with his audience, not giving them what they want and/or expect (i.e. Jaykeeley).
Yeah true. Just like when I went in to see Jackie Brown wanting and/or expecting something half-decent, and what I got was a steaming turd.

Anyone else watch that curse of The Exorcist special last night? I felt guilty for enjoying something on E! (stands for Exploitation) so much... I also prefer Kill Bill vol. 2 to its bloodier half, though I agree the final confrontation was a gigantic dick tease.

JayKeeley said:
Bubba Ho-Tep: Can Bruce Campbell do no wrong? Probably, but not here! He is brilliant, and worth seeing the movie if you're a fan of his, otherwise it's B-movie madness which will obviously go ignored by the masses. The best sequence is Campbell (as an aging Elvis Presley) fighting an evil Egyptian Scarrab with a bedpan.
I love this movie. It's got all the humour I'd expect from a Bruce Campbell film made by Don Coscarelli and written by Joe R Lansdale :). Now, throwing Ossie Davis in the mix is just pure genius. I just ordered the DVD. I have to see the audio commentary where Bruce pretends to be Elvis watching the movie :D.

Still haven't seen any of the other films you mentioned. But I do know that both versions of Exorcist: The Beginning will be released on DVD.