Flash harddisk anyone?

Curse9

Jun 10, 2008
Germany
Is anyone of you using these new flash disks which are very expensive right now? I thought it would be cool to load a notebook with a flash disk because its much more faster. Advantages I read in the net are: no failures because of no moving pieces, reactiontime <1ms, battery of the notebook will last longer and so on, system ready to use in ca 10 sek.

Any experiences?

They look awesome but through some research...

Write Endurance: - The number of write cycles to any block of flash is limited - and once you've used up your quota for that block - that's it! The disk can become unreliable.
-Source

That goes for reading as well as far as I know. I wouldn't want to use one for something like audio production.

Yes. I have read where it say that a disk might last for 51 years (worth of read write cycles) but you know....

The thing with the read/write cycles really ain't nothing to worry about if it's a half decent product. They'll outlive basically any HDD.

It seems like it'd be a good idea to get a relatively small HD to put your OS on, and DAW, then get a normal harddrive for the actual audio files. At least until these come down in price. That seem about right?

It seems like it'd be a good idea to get a relatively small HD to put your OS on, and DAW, then get a normal harddrive for the actual audio files. At least until these come down in price. That seem about right?

Yeah. I'd be doing that. But as Slash said, it can outlive any HDD, so I guess what I said before doesn't really matter.

EDIT: Oh your talking about price.

i'm planing to get a SSD for the system and two 500GB HDD's in RAID0 mode...WEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

I have 2-300GB Western Digital Velociraptors in RAID0 in my Mac Pro as my main OS drive. My computer boots up in less than 20 seconds.

I keep Time Machine running a 1:1 backup of my system though in case one of the hard drives fails. These drives are cheaper than SSD drives and pretty much just as fast.

128gb Crucial SSD user here. Windows 7 installs in under 10 mins, boots up in about 15 seconds, and just about everything else is pretty much instant.