Flu and mixing a gig tomorrow, what to do?

ahjteam

Anssi Tenhunen
Hi Guise,

I have to mix a gig tomorrow, guess I'll try to go as low as possible and play by hunch because my hearing is pretty much fucked at the +12khz range. I usually get these sinus problems in the fall time, but I woke up today and almost fell down because my sense of balance was fucked up because my ears and sinuses are being sabotaged by a flu. My nose is running constantly and when I hold my nose and blow, I can hear my sinuses pop and ears lock.

It's about 8pm here so I can't get any meds today anymore. Any suggestions?

Sinus irrigation ...

if you don't have any saline solution to do this with and can't buy any right now, make your own and snort it

seems fucked up at 1st but once you get over the snorting water thing you'll be amazed how well it works for clearing your head out

just don't drown yourself ... save that for your Finn spring parties ;)

Done it and it's no fun. Not much you can do other than try to drink lots of liquds, having a hot cup of lemony water or tea at hand helps. It sucks cause you've no idea of how it actually sounds- well for me my hearing was just so stuffy I couldn't really judge the low end.
Guaranteed to not be your best sounding gig! any way you can someone fill in or do you need the money badly also?
I once had to pull out of doing sound for a mates band on the biggest gig of their career (main support to pentagram) at a nice venue. I was just too sick.

If you've got a netty pot, use that for this. If not, any teapot or cup with a spout will do Mix warm water with a bit of salt (or saline solution) and tilt your head so your nose is parallel to the ground, pour into the upper nostril and let the solution run through your sinus and drain out of the bottom nostril. Do this for both nostrils. Once you're comfortable with fluids in your sinuses, gently try to pop your ears with the drip still going; this will help unclog your eustatian tubes.

I had a really shit cold a few months ago that basically sealed off one of my ears shut and this really helped.

Edit: too slow!

Sinus rinse is good, but i find it doesn't last very long. results may vary. but hell just do the gig, i've puked on myself and then done a gig. usually i feel better after doing a show. it's weird.

I just tried the neti pot thing with an empty soap bottle that I first washed like 30 times... Damn that thing made me water my eyes, kinda like when you get shoved a cock in your throat, but my left nostril is still all clogged up and my ears are locked.

(I know you boys love to quote me out of context so there you go!)

i tried that water to the nose thing as well and it fucked up my sinus big time...

what i do to prevent such things is take "sinupret" in advance when being on stressful or long tours... on a day, or when it gets ruff up to three a day. just herbs nothing fancy available in europe.

when it gets really fancy i stop taking painkillers and sinus snot stuff and switch over to wick daymed. its sort of a last resort thing but it saved two tours so far. be careful with those you wont feel any of the flu anymore. your nose and ears will pop free after short time. but be aware that if you take sinus-snot-away-pills (like sinupret) together with daymed you can drown on your own snot... so keep it seperate.

i have a friend who got him self an ear infection on tour (big tour, up to 25000ppl venues). he had to see a doc, got medicine, for the shows he made screen shots on his analyzer to compare the levels and frequency range. he made it.

good luck on your thing there

I'd much rather mix a gig than play one sick.

Had the stomach flu a few weeks ago and gigs right in the middle. Worst live experience ever. Colds and sinus stuff is one thing, but a stomach flu like this was horrible. Thankfully we had friends at the show who loaded my gear in. I couldn't lift anything afterwards from being weak and ended up puking rest of the night due to exhaustion if I barely tried to move. I lost 15 pounds that weekend due to the sickness...

I've had hell of a lot of sinuses problems in the past, until i got a surgery, but from time to time i still feel that fucking annoying thing you describe when you feel your sinuses pop, i use this thing called "Dazolin" and the drug is called "Nafazolina" (i'm from Argentina, and don't have any idea if the names would change or nothing) it's like small drops of that thing drain the life out of your sinuses and you breath like human again, then i drink a hot tea with lemon and honey (tasty shit) and then a red bull, and man i can work for 12 more hours non stop with no problem, but then... oh.. the pain. Everything gets worse. (yor throat aches and ... you go totally sick actually) but it's a life saver when you just CAN´T miss something. I know you don't have access to medicine now but, for the record i guess :p

Btw, i would never EVER do that crazy shit with my nose. I would die. For a fucking cold!