Flyod Rose tremelo bar problems????

Warmoose76

Apr 11, 2007
my friend has a bc rich with a floyed rose tremelo bar and we tried to tune it but we screwed it up. Its like stuck locked down so you cant use it and we cant get it to come back up. Also its almost imppossible to tune it 2 steps down with out it going out of tune while trying even when we put the locked bridge back on after each 2 strings are done and we try tuning it with the bottom tihings? So plz help us. :erk::worship:

I'm having trouble deciphering what you're asking. Have you been adjusting the screws in the back of the guitar
Mean_Street_Guitars_Trem_Stop_Installed.gif

or have you only used the tuning pegs? Next time try googling these things first.

Well, me and my friend had a problem with a BC Rich whammy bar to.. I used the Whammy bar, and kinda broke his guitar :Smug:.. Bc Rich's is, in my opinion, some bad quality guitars.

reason 353467 why i wont use a floyd rose.

technogoat brings up a good point. every time you tune (especially when you change tunings) you have to adjust the springs in the back
~gR~

not in my experience. even using same guages, ive come across problems.

its best just to stay away from them
~gR~

its best just to stay away from them
~gR~

:lol: Learn how to use them n00b :p

j/k

Seriously though, flloyds are no hassle if you know how to use them. If you really don't want to mess things up just take it to your local guitar store.

@threadstarter what were you trying to do? I don't really understand.
Were you just changing tunings? Changing strings then changing tunings? Changing strings then tuning back to original tuning?

reason 353467 why i wont use a floyd rose.

technogoat brings up a good point. every time you tune (especially when you change tunings) you have to adjust the springs in the back
~gR~

First of all this is actually what G R said and its very true. If you use the same strings and dont leave them on too long it will remain the same....but extreme temp changes could play games with you. However just a few weeks ago I found I had gone quite a bit flat and as I brought myself up to tune..... guess what?.... screwdriver time. I'll admit the strings are about a month over due for changing and I hadnt put it on a tuner for over a month, just playing alone.

Floyd Rose is the best tremolo on the market and always has been, thats why they are the tremolo of choise. I'll be getting a Kahler for one of my hardtails soon so we'll see how it goes but frankly if I wasnt concerned with routing 20% of the back of my guitar away I just cant justify the cost of a Kahler.

Anyhow, similiar to what Pheonix and Technogoat has said.... what the hell are you talking about? Stuck down in the back ?

Floyds are very easy to deal with, step one is being smarter than the tremolo. Figure out what its hooked into that makes it "stuck down in back" and fix that first. I cant believe you'd have the springs so tight that it wouldnt work at all.

Brand of guitar has nothing to do with the tremolo. The BC R prolly has a "licenced by" which simply meants it was a die cast plate rather than a tool steel plate. Otherwise the dynamic are the same. It just floats on two falcrum pins. Excessive abuse or years of use can chip or ware into the die cast plate at the falcrum points, that and some tone qualities are the issue with the "licenced bys" other wise its all the same.

A Floyd or any other tremolo will not stay in tune while your tuning it. As you increase tension on one string to come up to tune you pull the springs a bit which will flatten the previous string you just tuned. So strings and spring tension must come up together and a bit at a time until your in tune and the plate is flat or parellel to the surface of the guitar. Its tedious but easy once you figure it out. Just remember step one is being smarter than the chunks of steel you are dealing with..... :)

Also - If you have a "bridge lock" first thing you do is take that and throw it away, then get smarter than the steel.

Seriously, anyone I know that has played with a double locking system for years, will never go back to a hardtail. This hard tail I just bought drives me nuts because it goes slightly out of tune and I dont have the fine tuners to make quick and eazy fine adjustments. Thats just another reason its gettin a Kahler, that and the fact that I use a tremolo from time to time.

I agree with razoredge. At first FR may be tricky but if you know what you are doing its matter of a few minutes to make everything you like.

:lol: I must have left everyone speachless at any rate. Seriously though I just dont see what everyones problem with a Floyd Rose is. I played hardtails for over a decade before I got my Kramer, I refuse to go back. It took me a bit the first night I changed string gauges to figure out what was going on.... but I did, without any help or instructions. Its just simple mechanics.

Another time saving tip is dont get all fussy about tuning to perfect pitch while you bring strings up to tune. Just run through the strings quick back and forth, all the while keeping base plate level with the guitar, screwdriver in hand.

another - if you have a few strings sharp, just check through others quick and see if one or more of them are flat. While you bring the flat strings up the sharps strings will flatten some, or visa versa.

there is no doubt if you dont get the picture of whats happening you can chase the strings and springs around for hours and still not be close to tune.... but at that point you might wanna consider a job working for the government and forget about being a rock star........ :heh:

In my considerable 30 years of playing guitar, I'll say this: Floyd Rose's are good but can be very finicky. I much prefer a good old vintage style strat tremolo, set up with all five springs and tightened down all the way. You really have to muscle it for the dive bombs but everything pops right back in tune every time. I like a lot of resistance.

as can be witnessed in any Hendrix clip as you see him constantly tuning his guitar while playing and singing.... all at the same time

A Floyd always comes back to pitch, unless you havent broke your strings in

regardless thats still an issue, all the string above the nut and the windings as well as the threaded through lenght

they say the kahler is nice and eazy action, Im about to find out. I wouldnt want to have a 5 spring non locking falcrum when I can have a Floyd double lock

Seriously there has never been any issues with mine and I've had it since '90.

The edge is identical to a floyd in function. No difference what so ever. Thats why its licenced under the floyd patent. Its a different casting which has more mass, slightly different feature set up, profile is no different, unless your talking about the shape, they are both routed in. A few early models were not routed in due to the neck angle, would have been the same deal if they used the edge. As for being more stable. That is completely incorrect, it is the same exact mechanical operation.

regardless thats still an issue, all the string above the nut and the windings as well as the threaded through lenght.

It all depends on what you prefer, and what your are used to. I have a couple of Jacksons with Floyd Rose units, and they're OK, but not my favorite. I still maintain that a properly set up stock Strat tremolo will stay in tune without a locking nut. I guess it may depend on how aggressive you get with your tremolo action, but I can use it a lot, even doing full dives occasionally, and my guitars stay in tune. Others would agree with me. Look at Malmsteen, Blackmore, SRV, Eric Johnson, etc.

I actually prefer the Bisgbys on my Gretsch 6120s as the best tremolo overall for smooth vibrato action, but they have a limited range for metal use.