Flyod Rose tremelo bar problems????

The edge is identical to a floyd in function. No difference what so ever. Thats why its licenced under the floyd patent. Its a different casting which has more mass, slightly different feature set up, profile is no different, unless your talking about the shape, they are both routed in. A few early models were not routed in due to the neck angle, would have been the same deal if they used the edge. As for being more stable. That is completely incorrect, it is the same exact mechanical operation.

i dont see any patent on mine( edge 7, for universe guitar)

and also, forget it. there is a great difference between teh bridges

It all depends on what you prefer, and what your are used to. I have a couple of Jacksons with Floyd Rose units, and they're OK, but not my favorite. I still maintain that a properly set up stock Strat tremolo will stay in tune without a locking nut. I guess it may depend on how aggressive you get with your tremolo action, but I can use it a lot, even doing full dives occasionally, and my guitars stay in tune. Others would agree with me. Look at Malmsteen, Blackmore, SRV, Eric Johnson, etc.

I actually prefer the Bisgbys on my Gretsch 6120s as the best tremolo overall for smooth vibrato action, but they have a limited range for metal use.

You forget Jeff Beck :). Most of those guys werent real wammy dudes, some of my favorite guitarists, make no mistake but as far as using whammy no comparision to EVH or Vai. THose two were instrumental in the devolopment of the double locking systems due to their abuse of the device and need to come up with systems that would hold up in a live performance or just for practicing for that matter.

Im glad you mentioned the Bigsby, I have been wondering about them. I've actually been researching tremolos alot recently as I have a guitar without that is going to get one. I mentioned earlier I found a used Kahler and settled on that because I dont want to remove the wood necessary for a Floyd on this particular guitar. Then I decided I didnt want the bulk/look, or lack of range of the Bigsby. Anyhow... are they fairly nice to use for real tremolo and come back into to tune everytime ? If you dont abuse them ?

i dont see any patent on mine( edge 7, for universe guitar)

and also, forget it. there is a great difference between teh bridges

Heres some photos: On the Edge 7 you can read the "licenced under Floyd Rose patents". The pics of the Floyd Rose are of a cheap "licenced by", I had a hard time finding proper size photos of the real Floyd and didnt want to spend much time on it. The main difference between the cheap licenced bys and the real floyd is materials. A real Floyd is hardened tool steel as opposed to die cast, which is more prone to wear or chipping at the falcrum points, they are also alot frompier, cheap fine tuner screws, string lock screws stick out further... little thing like that, that do add up. Something to think about if you ever base you opinions of a $180 real Floyd Rose as opposed to a $90 licenced by.

Edge system
tremedgepo5.jpg

(cheap)Floyd system
floydrosexh8.jpg

Edge 7
egde7of8.jpg

(cheap)Floyd
floydc1lu9.jpg

Im glad you mentioned the Bigsby, I have been wondering about them... are they fairly nice to use for real tremolo and come back into to tune everytime ? If you dont abuse them ?

I have Bigsbys on three guitars I own: two Gretsch 6120s and a '65 Silvertone Hollowbody. I love them. There is no smoother tremolo on the planet for what it was designed to do, which is true "tremolo" action. It's no good for dive bombs or other aggressive whammy acrobatics (although it can also raise the pitch as well as lower it). But for quick dips or glistening vibrato without a loss of sustain, a Bigsby can't be beat. Plus it doesn't alter string height or scale length during dives like a fulcrum type tremolo does, so whole chords stay truer. Listen to some of Brain Setzer's live recordings the hear the full range of abuse a Bigsby will take and still stay in.

I have one of the Setzer big band CD's. Need to dig it out again, lots of fun. The Bigsbys look right on an archtop, just wouldnt on this Hummingbird reissue I have. The Fender Jag/Jazz type tremolo is great for that surf type vibrato too. Have an old 60's solid body here with that design that works well like that. The Mosely is the pertyest of the top mounted coil spring type, in my opinion. Apparently was viewed as a good reliable trem too, nice roller bridge.

Since starting playing 25 years ago, I have played straight bridges, Kahler and Floyd Rose vibrato systems.

My preference is for straight bridges, but when using vibrato systems, I prefer to use Kahler's Pro series units. When pulling up or down on the strings, the strings stay at the same level, as opposed to the Floyds which lift off of or fall closer to the fretboard depending on how you use it. You also have less wood to route from the body of the guitar. However, you get a wider diving range and can do some other tricks with the Floyds that you can't do with Kahler.

Also, if you get Sperzel locking tuners, you can get rid of that annoying nut clamp that you use with either the Floyd Rose or Kahler and have to spend less time tuning the guitar and can spend more time actually playing. Believe me, I can divebomb 80's style and pull all the way up on the Floyd Rose with Sperzels and not have to worry once about not coming back into tune when I let go of the bar.

I never saw where the locking nut was a hasstle or the need to tune the guitar much, once before practice thats all and just from the fine tuners. The few times I've had to loosen the lock nut was due to being over due for a string change. Expensive tuners are'nt even necessary with a lock nut.

Expensive tuners are'nt even necessary with a lock nut.

But, the need for a lock nut is completely negated when you have locking tuners that aren't much more expensive than regular tuners (about $10 more for the set) - plus, you don't need extra tools.

I understand but typically a floyd equiped guitar comes with a lock nut and average tuners, so there is no need to spend any money. Plus why deal with the slack string above the nut when with a locker its a non issue. Why take a lock nut off and deal with the special routing, buy a new nut and locking tuners. Why would Kahler also sell lock nuts ? And why would EVH the 2nd origional whammy abuser work closely with FR to develope the double locking system if it wasnt necessary ? I do have to keep reminding myself that I have a real Floyd Rose II and decent enough guitar so maybe Im lucky and have fewer problems than others. I really have had no issues with it what so ever. Well, I do have a floppy trem arm that needs a new assembly so it will stay put.

The guitars I purchase come with Sperzel locking tuners standard. I also don't order the locking nut, so it's not installed; also, I use nuts that are teflon-impregnated so they don't bind in the groove to cause additional tuning problems.

Remember, the locking nuts by both Floyd Rose and Kahler were developed because there was no way prior to then to be able to (ab)use the vibrato system without causing tuning problems. The introduction of locking tuners made the locking nut optional, which I find to my advantage when playing low on the neck since I don't have a block of metal interfering with my hand.

actually they were developed to stop the string lenght at the nut and bridge. This is why a floyd clamps its strings in the bridge rather than having the strings thred through the bottom as the origional Fender Strat tremolo was. This eliminated this area of unused string to cause a change in their tension. Also why they added fine tuners, which is so handy words cant describe. Then they locked at the nut so the only area changing tension was the totally free, bend free area above the body and fretboard. Not completely genious because it becomes apparent that that was what needed to be done, but nobody did it before.

Implying that the floyd nut interfers with the hand at all is totally silly. Or that having the strings slide back and forth through the nut is a positive thing.

I wonder how many shredders in the past thirty years have been wailing away on guitars with a floyd rose on them, having no problems.

Thanks for the help guys but now we have decided to bring it to some one who knows how to use it and not try and change tunings again. We ended up really screwing it up and taking the springs out and stuff. Because of this I will probably never get a guitar with a tremelo bar. But thanks anyways guys I aperrciate it :)