Folk recommendations

username345

Jun 6, 2007
Wales
Can anyone recommend me something like Nick Drake, Leonard Cohen, Neil Young and John Martyn?

Click my sig to see what I have already, but it's not more than that.

Well, Bobby D, of course.

Other than that, check out Gordon Lightfoot and Tom Waits (his older material generally sounds more like what you're looking for; his newer stuff is really more percussive and strange)

I have Rain Dogs, but you might be right about it being an acquired taste because I don't like it much. I'll give it more listens though.

Anyway, lots here I don't know, thanks!

I have Rain Dogs, but you might be right about it being an acquired taste because I don't like it much. I'll give it more listens though.

Anyway, lots here I don't know, thanks!

Rain Dogs is the record when he started getting really weird. If you want more traditional, folky sounding stuff, check out his older records (i.e. Closing Time, The Heart of Saturday Night, etc.)

Rain Dogs was the first one I bought and I like it.

It's still one of my favorite Waits records! Clap Hands, Singapore, all awesome songs! Oh yeah, and...

"It was 9th and Hennepin;
All the donuts have names that sound like prostitutes..."

Can anyone recommend me something like Nick Drake, Leonard Cohen, Neil Young and John Martyn?

I'm not sure if this fits here, but since you mentioned Leonard Cohen, this might be of interest to you:

15 years ago, a Norwegian record label released an album titled "Hadde månen en søster - Cohen på norsk" (i.e. "If The Moon Had A Sister - Cohen In Norwegian") which contains 12 songs by Leonard Cohen, sung in Norwegian by different female singers from Norway. You can listen to samples of the songs from this album here.