Folkmusic in early Vintersorg albums?

amf

Feb 28, 2004
Dalarna
Vintersorg's first three albums are often labeled as folk metal, and I have been wondering why. Admittedly, I am greatly handicaped when it comes to discern different genres from each others, but I really can not hear the folk music in these albums. I hear black metal, acoustic, symphonic and epic parts, but no folk.

So I turn to you, more musicaly able people. Where is the supposed folk music in the early works of Vintersorg?

Well, those parts you talk about, acoustic, symphonic etc., are folk.
Music and vocal compositions of the songs are themselves folkish. (using of the major 3rd's and such things...)

I'm not completely sure, because I live nowhere close to the far north, so I'm not acustomed to their/your folk music, but from what I know, I would say that that's it...

Horz said:
Well, those parts you talk about, acoustic, symphonic etc., are folk.
Music and vocal compositions of the songs are themselves folkish. (using of the major 3rd's and such things...)

this is exactly correct

listen up:

VFTSG:

vem styr symmetrin?
spegelsfären
the explorer

TFB:

the essence (acoustic guitars too folk)
a sphere in a sphere (to infinity?) the chorus is awesome dude (listen up the guitar... is totally folk)

the vocal style is different, the sound is different, but the basic lines of song structures are the same than always.
(more complex, but the essence still remain)

For me, the ultimate Vintersorg folk song is Rundans. :)
But that's almost pure folk, if it weren't for that distorted guitar part in the middle (or even with it) it could be considered a scandinavian neo-folk song.

I haven't put much research into various folk music of the world, but you can hear a difference between various parts of the world or even nations/countries.

folk melodies (from northern europe) have constantly moving lines that don't deviate much from the chord structure.

I could follow a melody on Till Fjalls on penny whistle and it would sound cool (and folkish). But if I followed something from the top 40, it would be boring.

Symphonic??? Only bits and pieces from The Focusing Blur and Terra are symphonic. you need violins and stuff for that ;)

I find the folk parts are in the nature related themes and sound, I don't know much about Folk (would certainly like to hear more since Odenmarkins Son got me interested in it) but I can certainly here a folk style element.

Horz said:
No you don't. :D
What about the chorus on For Kung och Fosterland? Totally folkish melody, and it sounds epic and symphonic!
ah, you are correct.
(but that IS a string synth in the background)

Yeah, of course it is, but you mentioned solo violins and they are not my thing exactly... :)
I much more prefer violas, cellos and contrabass', but when they all are present, I don't mind the violins (so I don't like the standard string quartet, so what? :p ). And I simply ADORE pizzicato strings... I'm aware that not many band's can afford a whole orchestra, and you can achieve great semi-realistic sound with various synths and keyboards, so I'm totally for symphonical elements in metal, just do it!!! :D