Foods from around the World, lets hear em!

OH!
And i might be a Swede, but when i was in Poland(trip with my school to see the concentration camps.), i always went out and bought freshly baked bread from the bread wagons, and to this day, its the best bread ive evar iitin!

bread.jpg

And there was also this bread looking kind of like pretzels that where awesome! VERY salty though.

To you Swedes: Det är i princip barkis... fast MYCKET bättre! ;)

I guess our country has nothing else to contribute than this :lol:

We also have pyttipanna here, it's just called pyttipannu. Actually, I think many other foods are totally similar between Sweden and Finland, they just have different names, e.g. köttbullar and lihapullat.

I'm a vegetarian (I do eat fish and eggs etc. though) and there's really almost nothing Finnish I can mention, except mämmi of course! Goddamn that it looks bad in that picture though, it almost looks like someone came on top of his turd :lol:

To me, Makkara deserves a place on its own.
I know it just means sausage, but seriously, compare Finnish sausage to Swedish(Gay alert !!).. Swedish sausage is made out of everything thats not edible in an animal.. you guys actually put some real meat in yours! :lol:

Swedish sausage tastes like spiced water.. Makkara tastes like real food!

And i might be a Swede, I know it just means sausage, but seriously, compare Finnish sausage to Swedish.. Swedish sausage is made out of everything thats not edible in an animal.. you guys actually put some real meat in yours! :lol:

Fuck are you talking about man? :D

Swedish sausage tastes like spiced water.. Makkara tastes like real food!

Svensk körv > Finsk körv

Bullens korv ftw! :worship:
I love eating cowheart/lungs/stomach/etc

poutine.jpg

Poutine. Also known as the "Canadian Coronary."
Fries, Gravy, Cheese. Looks disgusting, tastes amazing. I make sure my American clients try it out & they all wind up addicted.

oddly enough i wanna try the pyttipanna

Chop an onion, cube a few potatoes and some sausage. fry on a pan. done.

I'm a vegetarian (I do eat fish and eggs etc. though) and there's really almost nothing Finnish I can mention, except mämmi of course!

BUT OF COURSE WE HAVE! The finnish kitchen is really vegetable poor, but here are some:

Ruisleip%C3%A4.jpg

Ruislimppu, a hard ryebread

662823.jpg

Näkkileipä, a dried ryebread from Western Finland. It stays edible for a few years, which is why schools and the army uses it a lot

karjalanpaistiAML_uu.jpg

Karjalanpaisti, a meatdish, from Eastern Finland

8nk0004000.jpg

Pekoni-herkkusieninyytti, a mushroom filled with cheese and wrapped in bacon

puukkokukko.jpg

Kalakukko, a fishdish baked in a ryebread, from Savo

180px-Vesirinkelit_-_2.jpg

Vesirinkeli, a tasteless bagel

pulla.jpg

Pulla, a cinnamon flavoured sweet baked goodie

mustamakkara.jpg

Mustamakkara, bloodsausage from Tampere, usually eaten with lingonberry jam

leipajuusto.jpg

Leipäjuusto, a sort of cheese

rukiinen_karjalanpiirakka.jpg

Karjalanpiirakka, a very tasty ryebread with rice filling, from Eastern Finland

maksalaatikko-readymade.jpg

Maksalaatikko, livercasserole with raisins, maybe the most disgusting christmas food we have.

250px-Salmiakki_-_Halva.jpg

Salmiakki, a salty sweet

377702.jpg

Runebergintorttu, an almondtart eaten on February fifth

lauantai.jpg

Lauantaimakkara, A traditional veggiefood with a hint of meat. B-quality sausage in other words

19520_6317_0_33_210_300_210x300.jpg

HK Sininen, Another B-quality sausage

we have this everywhere in England, though its not normally eaten unless you've had a long night on the booze… though it is tasty with some garlic or chili sauce...

I tried out the "doner" in London when I was there last New Year's, gotta be honest man... does not even compare in the least, as I'm sure you found out having the real thing in Germany with a good pilsner!

The biggest letdown for me was the lack of hänchen (chicken) choice... just lamb or beef. :cry:

+100 to everything said about gyros....but didn't I already post about it earlier in this thread? I guess my pictures weren't as appetizing :mad: :p.

I actually totally ruined my diet yesterday and got some souvlaki with gyros to eat because of this thread. Damn you all!

@Felix:
Ich hab wirklich mal ein Lied über Braten mit Spätzle und Soße geschrieben...
und ich glaub Breschdleng haben ein Lied über Sauerbraten oder so.

we've got fucking awesome bread here in Germany, not like the English or Scandinavian bread (I mean real bread)
that's like a bit sweet and really soft and stuff, actually Germany is the country
with the most different kinds of bread.
The father of a good friend of mine is a baker who bakes the bread in an 100 years old
wood fired oven...god damn, that's so fucking tasty (and the pizza he makes, too).

reinsdyr.jpg

Cut the throat on one of these, and chop it up into small pieces..
serve with sauce, mushrooms and mashed potatoes..
"Finnbiff"
2161872341_a03a47df9f.jpg

:kickass:

I ate moose bacon once, was really tasty.

If somebody has nice and easy recipes (something untalented students could cook) send them to me.
I am actually writing a cook book for students (easy and cheap stuff) with a friend of mine (he's a cook) at the moment.
Would be cool to get some nice and original foreign meals for the book.

I'm surprised noone's mentioned surströmming yet....
most disgusting thing ever....
they just take herring and let it rot/ferment for a month....(either just in some plastic barrel with a bit of salty water, or they bury it somewhere)
then they but it in a can and let it ferment and mold even further until the lid and base of the tincan is round from all the gasses in there...

if you open that can you'll experience THE WORST smell in your entire life!
surstroemming.jpg

also for StefD: here's your recipe....
take a herring...throw it in some corner in your backyard....pick it up after a month or two....eat it.
bon appetit

some facts:
* Germany Christmas 1981... a tenant got evicted from her home after having spilled some of the "water" from the can in the hall....she went to court and in court they opened a tin of surströmming (as evidence for the smell) and the judge enforced the eviction after having smelled that.

* it's stricly prohibited to transport surströmming on Air France and british airways, because of the danger of explosion!

I think there are a few things that are worse, like Durian, it's a fruit, and it smells so bad
that you aren't allowed to move them around in busses or trains in Singapur.
And there's Hakarl, it's fermented flesh of the Greenland shark.
The meat itself is venomous normally, due to the fermentation (sometimes 3 months) it isn't venomous any longer.
The urea transforms into ammoniac, so no urea, just the smell of really dirty public urinal.
But, goddamn, my uncle once wanted to test it and he wasn't even able to taste it because
he had to vomit before, and he's a really tough guy when it's about food, he even likes Durian...

Oh-did I mention that it's almost normal that you get diarrhea after you ate it?

I'm not surprised that noone has mentioned the everlasting awesomeness that is White Castle.
Raise your hand if you've never had a Slyder.
white_castle.jpg