$$$ for MIXING on this forum - > RULES?

Does the world really need more unenforceable rules designed only to protect people who don't exercise enough reason and caution to not get screwed?

Jeff

communism_for_our_future.jpg

Loved that video, hilarious. And I agree both ways, it would be cool to have some guidelines, but for the most part you need common sense. I do artwork too, and a few times I've been screwed sending test art or renders to people I never heard from again, and probably used the art on their album or book or whatever. Sucks, but you live and you learn.

Or maybe the "client" just prefered the sound of other guys mix ?
No offense of course, have not heard any of your stuff.. just kinda got a sour loser vibe from the post :)

But while all OPs points sounds decent I could not see it working in any way.. and so what if some people likes a challenge and put hours into a mix for free, don't see anything wrong with that tbh.

No offense taken, and it's definitely not sour grapes. I had a point in my head that I didn't make, and did a bad job explaining myself. The free mix could definitely be better than my mix...sound is subjective.

Humans have an uncanny ability of picking a louder piece of audio as sounding better. You can take two equal mixes, make one louder, and you'll most likely interpret the louder mix as being better. The same can be said for a crappy mix against a good one (to a point...sound is subjective).

I do my best to avoid trying to compete for mixing jobs because the odds are that the guy who offers to work for free or for $10/song is probably going to win the job regardless of their skill level. That said, I'll mix a song for free if I like the band or song, but it won't be to compete for a job.

very off topic

Im Not a producer by any means..but Even when trying to See it from Both points of view (producer/or bands) i still have some disscomfort talking about a price minimum. Even resonably succesfull metal bands Like cephalic carnage, bands who sell 30-40 thousand copies of there cd's See Zero dollars in return for it. They make there money off Merchandise On tour...and still dont make enough to live off,a greater majority still have a shit job that they have to come back to. from what ive learned If thats the bracket of bands you guys are producing then your not going to be dealing with bands off the streets in your local towns your going to be getting your money from the lables for the recordings and probably dealing with them directly when it comes to expenses.. not the bands... I feel like expenses are the number one reason for good unsigned bands to break up and buy laying a price minimum you are only adding to the problem. I know its not ethical and i know its not The RIGHT thing to do...But why not skip the standard pricing contract with bands you like....Cut Big deals With Good bands and High prices for Shitty bands...Youll help weed out the crap while letting quality slip through...and youll still be able to make a living....You all probably think im a retard and come back saying good and bad is a matter of opinion...but you guys listen to more music then anyone..and even though your probably listening to production more then anything i know you still can tell a shit band from an original. Im in a band that i really care about and i know im being biased but the closer we come to sucomming to The fate of Credit card Debt Sucking us under the More Frustrated i become when i begin to read about how its just a business....makes me wanna quit, Cause if i wanted to be part of a business instead of a band then thats the path i would chosen....I suppose the deeper i dive into the producing asspect...who knows...mabey i will have changed my ideas in two years or so...but as of right now The state Of Metal and its Business Kinda of make me wanna throw up.

I think you can argue that the "shitty" bands by design will end up paying more because there is generally more work involved to get it to sound good...Which means more hours in the studio which means more $$$$.

The rest of your post, like you said, is more of your personal issues.

While I agree with some of your points, I wouldn't go as far as to say that a studio or AE should be the one to lose anything (especially adequate compensation) to make lives easier for a band. Truly, none of the issues in your post really have anything to do with the studio as it's own entity.

Im not offended,

Bands just having a shit time....Had alot of Issues with Labels over money in the past...and we are just In Serious debt enough so that our next release will probably be our last if we cant reclaim some money off it... And being still in the process of oweing our producer more money It just seems pretty hopeless. I shouldnt have written anything at all, It isnt really my place to ask people to do anything especially since i havent produced anything of mentioning myeslf, and regardless of what happens im still going to write and record music myself but it will probably be just for my own enjoyment.

Alot of empty promises have made me skeptical About everything in the Music Industry Especially ones to do with money.....I didnt mean to get out of shape.... and I do Understand that All the bands asking for free mixes Shouldnt be going about it like that.... I think that in the perfect music world bands Would be able to Live comfortably as well as producers with no one getting the short end of the stick especially Since The comon goal is the Love of music. Im still figureing out How to acheive that balance Especially when Label's are involved Doesnt really seem possible...Hence my Frustration whenever money is brought up....

Meee and trust issues

FWIW I fuckin love your band and The Unsettling Dark! You guys and Dave did an amazing job on it! :headbang:

^Sounds like you have some stories about your dealings in the biz. For those of us in bands, might be worth another thread (assuming there's anything you could say on a public forum).

I get pretty nervous about talking about it cause In all honesty we have to get signed again or have someone with some connections get some Major distribution for it. Even if I don't like staying quiet and I want people to know whats going on, Iv'e still got some serious paranoia about burning bridges and Networking is so important that it puts me at a stand still.

Comments like this are pretty much the only thing keeping us afloat at this point.

Well stay afloat man!:headbang:

I was listening to your tracks and they are pretty damn sweet. I went to do a "friend add" and WHOOPS, you are already in my network.:saint: