For those of you that enjoy female led metal.

Stream of Passion - Embrace the Storm and the double live CD, particularly given that I'm a big fan of Arjen's stuff.

And since you didn't list them, you're likely aware of these classics:
After Forever
Epica
Lana Lane
Nightwish
Therion
Tristania

Also, there's a cool new album I really like with great chorals - Dol Ammad "Star Tales"

:headbang:

I thought I would point out my favorite specific disc from each band below to narrow down your search:

Angtoria- God Has A Plan for Us All: One of the best releases of 2006, all genres.
Listen: "Hell Hath No Fury..." http://www.myspace.com/angtoriaofficial

This has been in my car CD player all week! Great Disc.

Delain- Lucidity: Within Temptation style with guests such as Marco from Tarot/Nightwish
Listen: "The Gathering" http://www.myspace.com/delainmusic

Recently got this from Ken, seems promising.
Xandria- Ravenheart: A bit lighter than I like unless I'm in a total wuss mood.
Listen: medley http://www.xandria.de/english/index.html

India is much heavier.

The Gathering hasn't released anything close to Metal since 1997, but they are still the best female-fronted metal band out there :)
Well.. Whatever they are today! Trip-rock or whatever people label them...

I just heard some of the new Sirenia album.... Two thumbs down from me. Don't like the new female vocalist at all. A fairly big style change, too. Which is kind of nice as his forumla was getting really old. But I don't think it was in the right direction.

I just heard some of the new Sirenia album.... Two thumbs down from me. Don't like the new female vocalist at all. A fairly big style change, too. Which is kind of nice as his forumla was getting really old. But I don't think it was in the right direction.

I think the new SIRENIA is kick ass! I've always liked Monika's voice (ever since she was in Sinphonia), and I think the songwriting here is better and much more focused compared to the older Sirenia discs - besides, it's good that they no longer sound like Tristiania.

DELAIN is another awesome disc in this style. It really took me by surprise. Sure, there's a lot of WT worship on it, but who cares :)

I actually didn't like the STREAM OF PASSION album, but seeing them live in January has made a big fan out of me.

New WITHIN TEMPTATION is brilliant beyond words. This band can do no wrong. Been listening to it 20 times since yesterday. Sharon Den Adel is THE best singer in this style of music!!!!

c.

I think the new SIRENIA is kick ass! I've always liked Monika's voice (ever since she was in Sinphonia), and I think the songwriting here is better and much more focused compared to the older Sirenia discs - besides, it's good that they no longer sound like Tristiania.

Issue with that is Tristania doesn't sound like Tristania. Kind of like how Epica is more along the lines of what After Forever used to sound like while AF has moved on to a new sound. They moved on from that formula 2 albums ago. I didn't like their new album, Illumination, at first. It's a very laid back album. Only 1 song with a few growls which were my favourite part of Ashes. Though the clean vocalist has grown on me this album. The Ravens, Down, & Fate are all awesome songs.

Beautiful Sin! I bought their cd in Atlanta last year and had it in my bag while I was talking to Jorn Viggo Lofstadt. I didn't realize until later that he played on it. The cd totally kicks ass!

Lunatica - Fables & dreams is the better album overall but Edge of Infinity has some great tunes. I have Atlantis but never really got into it.

Lullacry - Saw them a few times in France (flew over for and followed Edguy/Heavenly/Lullacry/Nostradameus/Freedom Call/others around the country for 3 shows) and got to hang out with them (back in '01 with the old singer). Very cool guys. Crucify My Heart was a great cd. I never really got into the latest cd.

Xandria - Ravenheart

Within Temptation - I am SO excited for the new cd! Can't wait!

Here's a few bands I didn't see mentioned

Silentium - Seducia & Sufferion - Hamartia Of Prudence are both albums to check out
Distored - Memorial. Your basic B&B type band but with middle eastern flare.
Diablo Swing Orchestra - Butcher's Ballroom. It's an odd mix off genres but wonderful and also quite fresh considering the number of clone bands.
Haggard - any album. Symphonic metal. 16 band members. Nuff said ;)

If you're into industrial music at all, I highy recommend Die Form. Inhuman is a masterpiece. It was the first part of a diptych but I was fairly dissapointed by Exhuman. Had the albums been a little more intermingled I think I would have enjoyed the songs on Exhuman a bit more. It's essentially an eletronica album and lacks vocals for the most part.

Surprised nobody mentioned Amaran:Shedevil: I know technically they're broken up BUT great stuff especially Pristine In Bondage :kickass:

I like Darkwell-Suspiria. It is a good gothic metal album. They did a mini album after that one and then the first lead singer left. I don't have the third album by them. Samples sound promising.