For those who might know...

Oct 17, 2005
Kinnear, Wyoming
Someone I know came up to me and wanted me to find some information on something he found in the foothills on the reservation with his metal detector.

(These are bad quality pictures)

0418092043.jpg

This says

WJ Bailey CO, Newark NJ
0418092043a.jpg

This is what I found out, it is a copper civil war button. Here is a picture of a brass type of button on a civil war coat, as you can tell there are some differences.

CloseupofButtonsonIkeJacket.jpg

I also know that WJ Bailey CO is a factory that made metal buttons, but I need specifics. Can anyone help me with this?

Yeah, I can't find anything on it. I been doing research on it since he brought it in to show me. What the hell is it doing clear over here on the reservation?

Maybe the guy wanted to travel to the west. Over where he found it, he said that there was a small battle. He has found bullets and stuff as well.

With that button, I can't really see the top part with the circle and the stars around it. The button on that coat has starts in it.

That is the only difference that I can tell between the two.

That button you posted is in bad shape. It looks really really old, but then again i see dots around the button on your picture.

Urgh I'm just gonna have to tell this guy to take it the antiques road show or some shit lol.

Thanks though Emily!

Ah, I see what you mean. Yours doesn't have the ring of stars around the other edge.
Legit antique people should be able to tell you the time period. There are countless books and records on every division, battalion, and corps that moved during the Civil War. No doubt, with a little hard work, you can found out what it was doing there.
Money wise, they're not that rare. :shrug: