For those who went to the oakland show...

KnowDead said:
Question, how can a band that is so gifted musically with a frontman that goes from extreme metal to progressive rock and smiles at the transition, be too tired to play more than three songs? Opeth, you are CLEARLY the best band in the Gigantour lineup, and we deserve an explanation. After all, we had to endure a lot of mediocre crap, before and after your set, to be in your presence last night in San Diego. How can you justify playing a 25 minute set? Was it a problem behind the scenes? You got turned off by that asshole who threw the waterbottle (or what was that)? I can't accept that a professional band as enlightened as you could stoop to the level of being too tired or disgruntled to play. In many ways, I've thought of you guys as the Death Metal version of Grateful Dead, due to the love and devotion your fans give and the PURE MUSICIANSHIP you guys display. Hearing you live should leave us feeling your greatness, not ripped off by a short set.

kleenex.jpg

KnowDead said:
Question, how can a band that is so gifted musically with a frontman that goes from extreme metal to progressive rock and smiles at the transition, be too tired to play more than three songs? Opeth, you are CLEARLY the best band in the Gigantour lineup, and we deserve an explanation. After all, we had to endure a lot of mediocre crap, before and after your set, to be in your presence last night in San Diego. How can you justify playing a 25 minute set? Was it a problem behind the scenes? You got turned off by that asshole who threw the waterbottle (or what was that)? I can't accept that a professional band as enlightened as you could stoop to the level of being too tired or disgruntled to play. In many ways, I've thought of you guys as the Death Metal version of Grateful Dead, due to the love and devotion your fans give and the PURE MUSICIANSHIP you guys display. Hearing you live should leave us feeling your greatness, not ripped off by a short set.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Just so you will know and stop whining; it was NOT Opeths fault that the set was shortned. Blame your curfews.

KnowDead said:
...and how the hell are you figuring it was their fault exactly?

Kutryer said:
Well overkill and arch enemy both had a longer set than opeth... So I'm pretty sure its not the curfews fault.

They played before Opeth. They were told before they went out that they only had 25 minutes. Same thing happened last year.

House of Seance said:
...and how the hell are you figuring it was their fault exactly?

I'm asking this because I refuse to believe it's their fault. Read and comprehend.

Valarie, thanks for the Kleenex.

Kutryer, you're right, he did say they were tired from playing so much and were going to keep the set short. But I think there's more to it. Tired is tired, but come on. Redbull is cheap, my tickets were not.

San Diego:

I would have to believe that it was time constraints (or some behind the scenes b.s.) that shortened their set.

I've seen them on practically every NA tour since Milwaukee Metalfest and considering the sheer amount of touring these guys do, being tired (which was probably only mentioned in passing during Mikael's regular between song banter....and they're only human...haven't you ever suffered from jet-lag or being tired when you go to work?) is hardly something I see as an excuse they would use to play a shorter set.

You should take that into consideration before making assumptions (I can understand your disappointment, though). Much like an employee has little to no control over the hours they are scheduled, Opeth has little to no control over Gigantour, Inc. telling them they can only play half an hour.

Squeak said:
I was in the photo pit for the whole set....

Sqeak! :D Of course you were :p ....Can't wait to see the pics! And photomistress.com rocks! It's gotten so big!
I wish I could have been at the show...the Coliseum is just a couple of Bart stops from my old place and it was my bday so it would have been great to see Megadeth and Opeth...but I'll be at the Montreal show...
What was Megadeth's set like?

...do people not read? They were told to only play 25 minutes. I would find the link, but I got my 55 minute set and don't care to say anymore on the subject.

Listen to the dozen bootlegs were Mike mentions them being tired etc....never stopped them before.

lim debating on wether to see them at a headlining gig in philly, or to see them with arena sound?....i know everyones gonna say headline...but im not sure

I accept that. I'm over it now. I'll have to see them when they are the headliners in another kind of venue.

IamReptar said:
...do people not read? They were told to only play 25 minutes. I would find the link, but I got my 55 minute set and don't care to say anymore on the subject.

Listen to the dozen bootlegs were Mike mentions them being tired etc....never stopped them before.

Good. Glad to hear it.

IamReptar said:
They played before Opeth. They were told before they went out that they only had 25 minutes. Same thing happened last year.

How do you know this?

Forgive me as I've had too little sleep... and I'm not going to be too specific on purpose...but here's the deal.

San Diego: Opeth played the set they did because they were told to. They went overtime a bit the first couple of dates and they were actually reprimanded. The short set length in San Diego was definately not the choice of the band and had absolutely nothing to do with them being tired I can confirm 100%.

San Bernardino Set:

GOP
Windowpane - Mike: "Dedicated to my lover: Gene Hoglan"
The Lepper Affinity
Deliverance

Out. :devil:

Mr Samsara said:
Forgive me as I've had too little sleep... and I'm not going to be too specific on purpose...but here's the deal.

San Diego: Opeth played the set they did because they were told to. They went overtime a bit the first couple of dates and they were actually reprimanded. The short set length in San Diego was definately not the choice of the band and had absolutely nothing to do with them being tired I can confirm 100%.

San Bernardino Set:

GOP
Windowpane - Mike: "Dedicated to my lover: Gene Hoglan"
The Lepper Affinity
Deliverance

Out. :devil:

So I guess there's no chance for the rest of us to see Godhead's Lament then, is there? DAMN IT!

Mr Samsara said:

I'm curious as to how you can confirm that, but I do believe you and it's definitely good to know. I thought/hoped it would be something like that, because there's no way in hell Opeth would cut a set short because they were tired. Sounds like a fucking WICKED set in Oakland though! Don't take sass from MegaDave, Mikael. You play over as much as you want (but in all seriousness, the restrictions and applications of contract probably suck on a tour like this). Alright, I'm out.

Illidan said:
I'm curious as to how you can confirm that, but I do believe you and it's definitely good to know. I thought/hoped it would be something like that, because there's no way in hell Opeth would cut a set short because they were tired. Sounds like a fucking WICKED set in Oakland though! Don't take sass from MegaDave, Mikael. You play over as much as you want (but in all seriousness, the restrictions and applications of contract probably suck on a tour like this). Alright, I'm out.

Yeah, probably Megagay Mustaine has a thing for Mikael, (is that why he kept saying he was a pussy? WTF? It would be nice if Mikael kicks Mustaines ass, beat the shit out of him. :lol: )