forest metal....

Whats so good about Agalloch?

Nobody sounds like Agalloch and their music can only be describe as beautiful. Not only that but the metal they play can't be defined as any genre. Check out The Mantle it's my favorite from them. Although Agalloch is not for everybody some people complain that the vocalist annoys them or their too soft for metal; however, these flaws never bother me and most metalheads so you should try them out.

Agalloch - The Mantle
Agalloch - Pale Folklore (I haven't heard their third full length release yet)
Wolfchant - A Pagan Storm
Catamenia - Halls of Frozen North
Negura Bunget - OM

That's it, and I haven't listened to too much music that could be defined as "forest metal" yet.

I would recommend that people check out Dornenreich's "Durch Den Traum" album, truly fantastic.

Also if people like Agalloch, they should check out Gurtholfinn. They've only released a couple demos though, check out "The Forest of Long Awaiting" - probably the best thing I've heard all year. Albeit they could work on a few things in song structure and such but in my opinion the band has a ton of potential. Beautiful music with a lot of depth.

Nobody sounds like Agalloch and their music can only be describe as beautiful. Not only that but the metal they play can't be defined as any genre. Check out The Mantle it's my favorite from them. Although Agalloch is not for everybody some people complain that the vocalist annoys them or their too soft for metal; however, these flaws never bother me and most metalheads so you should try them out.

Agalloch - The Mantle
Agalloch - Pale Folklore (I haven't heard their third full length release yet)
Wolfchant - A Pagan Storm
Catamenia - Halls of Frozen North
Negura Bunget - OM

That's it, and I haven't listened to too much music that could be defined as "forest metal" yet.
:kickass:
Catamenia is awesome, but imo the newer stuff like Chaos Born or Location Cold >>> Halls...

In regards to Catamenia because I hear this a lot...but what makes them a black metal band? Even metal-archives has them down as black metal. To me they sound closer to something like Norther and those melodic Finish bands.

:OMG:

Newer stuff better than Halls!??!?! Dang I gotta check out their newer stuff sometime I haven't listened to any of it yet.
Well, it's a lot more commercial/accessible sound, but the wintry and wolfy atmosphere is still as strong as ever, and they've got way more skill now.
As for the genre; melodic black, or blackened melodeath.
I don't think it's that far off. You can hear a lot of hails to Dissection in the earlier stuff.

Listening to Negura bunget's OM is like traveling in the middle of a cold night trough the Carpathos rly amazing experience

Agalloch the Mantle gives me the "walking through snowy woods" feel everytime. Really opened my mind up to a whole new genre.

Also I cant believe nobody has mentioned Woods of Ypres from Canada. Pursuit of the sun...allure of the Earth has a similar vibe.

Agalloch the Mantle gives me the "walking through snowy woods" feel everytime. Really opened my mind up to a whole new genre.

Also I cant believe nobody has mentioned Woods of Ypres from Canada. Pursuit of the sun...allure of the Earth has a similar vibe.

Not really, I feel it was too forced with the folk stuff. Unlike their demo, which has 3 songs of the finest black metal I've ever heard. Shams of Optimism, Crossing the 45th Parallel, A Meeting Place and Time.