• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

flying_whale

Rome 64 C.E.
May 17, 2006
Seattle,Wa
www.myspace.com
what about we start a forum solo competition. Steve starts if he wants by posting a backing track, we improvise over it, upload it and in a poll we vote which one we like best. the winner gets to come up with the next backing track. the solos should be annonymous i mean labeled solo1, 2,3 whatever, and at the end the winner is revealed.
I copied this idea from JP's forum kinda and from metallicabb's musicians corner, they did this a while ago, but it stopped cause some retard mod banned some people.
what do you think?

it is a copy/ paste from the other thread.

A rule would be that the poster of the backing track (can be with no drums or bass, just guitar would be ok) tells us the key signature, tempo , time signature. The solo lenght should be between 20 seconds to a minute.
What do you think?
Steve do you wanna start, if you have time, since it is your forum or someother person should start.
Any other rules should be discussesd here, and keep the other thread on topic.
We can make a separate thread for Steve's challenge (playing a steve solo from tge).
We should do this weekly , vote for 2 days, and do it again.

Hey guys, great idea!
I was about to bring that up here, so good thinking Lord.
Allright, a backing track I can and will do, just give me a few days.
See the above thread entitled update to find out what's up, and you'll see why I need a few days. It'll be something real simple, so please don't expect too much, but it will be challenging. i've got a few ideas for this actually.... You guys ready?!:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Steve Smyth said:
Hey guys, great idea!
See the above thread entitled update to find out what's up, and you'll see why I need a few days. It'll be something real simple, so please don't expect too much, but it will be challenging. i've got a few ideas for this actually.... You guys ready?!:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

I hope the backingtrack will be evil! :heh: evil things kick ass...
If I manage to come up with something good... I might join this thing.

Steve Smyth said:
Hey guys, great idea!
awesome!
I'm ready, although my solo won't be that great, or even good at all, i dunno. I think everyone in here should play for fun, is not like the winner wins the superbowl.
METAL

FretsAflame said:
anyone know a good cheap way to record this kinda thing? I'd like to participate :D
my microphone that i s really cheap and i use for online gaming if placed correctly will give you pretty decent, listenable quality, i paid 14 for it, but don't except great tone out of it

Steve Smyth said:
Hey guys, look out for the backing track to go up later tonight early tomorrow. Getting it together!:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
RAWR.
So a few rules before we start.
The solo cannot be no longer than a minute and 20 seconds, but not shorter than 20 seconds.
We should advertise this on nevermore's board so people actually come and vote, in the case that most of us play.
The puprose of the competition is not to win candy, but educational.
We have 3 days to come up with a solo.
Should the solos be anonymously posted, or under the name?
We should have 2 days to vote in this thread which solo wins. Winner does the next backing track.
what does everyone think about the rules before we start.
Peace,
Paul

Not sure how anonymous would work, unless we just make a user for the post, share nick and pass in PM, and all put up a link under that name (and number them 1 through whatever the last is, going by order posted). Anyone with a better suggestion?

Jeff

JBroll said:
Not sure how anonymous would work, unless we just make a user for the post, share nick and pass in PM, and all put up a link under that name (and number them 1 through whatever the last is, going by order posted). Anyone with a better suggestion?

Jeff
send a pm to a chosen person with the thing, and that chosen person will post them in a thread as solo1,2,3,4,whatever OR we do them publicly, we all publish them under our regular screename. I have no problem with either way.

I doubt we have such high tensions on this forum as would interfere with fair judgment of a solo, and if anyone gets points from popularity it won't be me, so I'm tempted to just assume the least out of all of our organization skills and go with the easiest option - unless anyone else would like to protect their names/egos/reputations with an anonymous posting, I think just posting under our regular handles will suffice.

Oh, and one request for soloists - please don't use anything but MP3 or OGG for your posts, as things like WMA, QT, RM, et cetera are not accessible to users of some operating environments.

Jeff

Ok, the backing track is done! :kickass:
Lord, I agree with most of your "rules" you have outlayed for this competition, all pretty good ideas. My modifications, as follows:

I feel 3-5 days would be sufficient for anyone to get their tracks done, and sent off to be uploaded.

I think the poster of his/her solo should not be anonymous. My argument is, when you're doing a solo, you're not anonymous, so why should we not know who you are? Let's hear ya!!!

I do agree we should have a voting poll of some kind, and all comments will be closely watched by me, as to keep the whole thing fair and impartial. I'll be looking for constructive criticism comments. We should keep the poll open for 2 days, as to give anyone who wishes to vote, time to hear all tracks, and then vote. You guys spread the word to whoever you want to, and we can also bring the Neverboarders over here; seems like a fair amount of them come on here anyway!

JBroll brought up a good point as well...I feel the solo should be sent in mp3 format only, so as everyone can easily download it.

And yes, the winner of the competition does the next backing track, sounds like a good prize!

EVERYONE AGREE ON THIS?

The backing track is a song from my recent past, and Seed Awakener, I think it's eeeevil enough!:lol:

Get your corpse paint and_ your grim face on kids, we're gonna have you solo over a song from Dragonlord!!!:devil: :hotjump: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

More details coming with the backing track( Key,time sig,tempo,tuning,length of track).
Hoping to get this up there sometime tomorrow.... stay tuned!!!:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

P.S. This thread will be a "sticky"as soon as the backing track gets on there, for easier reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.