Fredrik and Mattias leave Katatonia

Don't take it too bad. I wish the Norrman brothers good luck in sorting out whatever personal issues they have. Yet, I am sure that Katatonia will continue to make good music and deliver good shows.

I recently thought about what Anders said in those interviews that he had trouble writing new material for what ended up to be NITND. Jonas even went as far as calling it Writer's Block. I thought maybe he needs some fresh influences, a change of direction, or just something to stir him up. The Norrman brothers leaving wasn't exactly what I was thinking about but maybe a change of personnel also has a positive effect in this direction. New people bringing in new views, fresh ideas that might put Anders back on (a new) track. This happened to Opeth twice, once when Nordin and DeFarfalla left, and (to a lesser extent) when Lopez and Lindgren left.

You may argue that Anders is already back on track considering how great NITND has become. But I recently noticed that the credits on the tracks go mostly to Jonas and the whole of Kata while on previous albums Anders was credited on 95% of the tracks. So, maybe this phase isn't yet over for him.

I recently thought about what Anders said in those interviews that he had trouble writing new material for what ended up to be NITND. Jonas even went as far as calling it Writer's Block. I thought maybe he needs some fresh influences, a change of direction, or just something to stir him up. The Norrman brothers leaving wasn't exactly what I was thinking about but maybe a change of personnel also has a positive effect in this direction. New people bringing in new views, fresh ideas that might put Anders back on (a new) track. This happened to Opeth twice, once when Nordin and DeFarfalla left, and (to a lesser extent) when Lopez and Lindgren left.

I do remember him saying in the interview that he wished the other guys would write more ...

Loss is always rough, but they must forge onward into battle.

Well that's a bummer...

Great musicians, and hard to see them not in Katatonia, but I think the songwriting is safe with Jonas/Anders, so it's not such a major loss...These guys will move on.

l_d8c13c1eb4dd9901708ad80a474ade1d.jpg

Godspeed!....my twin :(

Wow. I was really shocked when I read this thread. Always a bummer but sometimes you have to prioritize, and family does come first. I wish them all the best, and I'm just happy that I managed to see them all together live a few times. Hopefully at some point when the time is right, perhaps they will re-join the band.

I remember meeting Fred on the Melloboat last year and after speaking with him, I kind of expected this day. I did not expect that Mattias would leave at the same time though.

But when speaking with Fred; they had just played in Spain a couple of days before. I think I asked him how it was and such. He probably said it was alright, but he did not like the plane ride. I said something like it probably was not a long flight and he said: "Yeah, but it is flying". My thought after that was that he must really hate US tours, ha. So, with more touring and a US tour on the horizon, I cannot say I am surprised about Fred leaving, but not Mattias, and as he said, he does not want to be away from his family and that is totally understandable.

At first, I also thought it was a joke, even after reading part of the text, I still thought it was a joke... but it does not seem so. It's not nice news at all, of course, and I, as many other fans, am shock because these are totally unexpected news. However, I understand and respect Fredrik and Mattias decision and I really wish the best to both of them in whatever they do... They will surely be missed after all these years.

:(

Wow, this is the worst news i've heard in awhile. I can't think of many musicians that can fill their shoes but it will be interesting to see who auditions.

Yeah, this is sad news. I never got to see them live, but when I finally do it will be a bit sad knowing the two brothers are gone. But this is easier to accept than if Anders, Daniel, or the worst, if Jonas left! Those 3 guys MUST stick together!! Even though I love the new Katatonia cd I sincerely hope Anders has more credits in songwriting on the next cd, because I love his songs! Idle Blood is an amazing song by him that provided a much needed color to NITND. (as well he contributed on 2-3 other songs in NITND).

My best wishes go out to Mattias and Fredrik though. You were still very important and helped make the band who and where they are today because of your fine contributions!