Friends that are gear-retarded (You know, that one friend worships the metal zone)

I assume you are referring to the tonestack being before the distortion/second preamp tube. Yeah... it's explained in the manual though, but who reads those? :D I have a Studio Preamp and if all three knobs (bass, mid, treble) are turned to zero, there is no sound at all. Not sure if this was the case with Mark IV.

Well, I read the manual and read online a LOT and just guess I couldn't grasp it. I havent tried turning all knobs to zero, but I will have to try that. I just felt that the Bass knob should add "bass"....but ....it just added crappiness to the tone.

"Friend" of mine sold his 5150 + Marshall MF 4x12 + Boss GT10 for a 2x12 Line6 Bogner Spider Shit. "It's easier to handle and it has also tubes in it". Too dumb for music!

10 Years ago he was that Metalzone-Guy too.

fb0.gif

See I know guys working the opposite way, as in working up from Line6 to something better with a 5150 being the goal in sight... but hell... why would you downgrade that way?? is he retiring??

Don't ask me. I don't get it. :err:
Maybe he's just dumb :D

Ways of thinking like these made us quit our band.
That Metalzone-Guy isn't acting illogical only in gear terms.

I would go further and bring in the following thesis:
Show me your gear & I show you who you are! :loco:

Cheers

Don't ask me. I don't get it. :err:
Maybe he's just dumb :D

Ways of thinking like these made us quit our band.
That Metalzone-Guy isn't acting illogical only in gear terms.

I would go further and bring in the following thesis:
Show me your gear & I show you who you are! :loco:

Cheers

Dude same here... well this guy isn't my friend but his parents are high on cash so got a rr24 (he partially destroyed the floyd the first day...) and a peavey 6505. Now he's got a crappy Line 6 combo...

I think we all know what has to be done about line 6 :devil:

For my case, i only went from a bugera 6262 to a randall RH150g3+ only because the bugera was too powerful for my use... Couldn't crank it enough so there was no point... It's a shame because it had a sweet sound, but i love the randall and i'm keeping it for sure ! flank it with a maxon od808 and i could play for days. Lurking on the trirec coming out (soon i hope).

Just read a thread on a famous audio gear french forum in which a guy was asking if he could get a modern metal tone out of a HT5 and a TS, mentioning Ola's video about it, and almost every single response was "nop man, get a Guyatone Metal Monster, the TS is not a metal distortion." ...
Para%2BIsma%2Bel%2Bfacepalm%2Bdefinitivo.jpg

Having had a standard set-up of a fender standard strat going through a metal zone into a marshall valvestate for years and actually thinking it ruled for metal and hardcore, I used to be pretty much a total gear-retard. Now I still think a marshall tsl isn't all that bad, just so you know where I'm coming from. ;)
That being said, I know a guy who owned a couple of marshall anniversary edition amps and used only the clean channel with a boss gt 8 in front of it for distortion. When asked if he liked the distortion of the boss over the amp, he couldn't tel, because he never tried it. Now he has upgraded his amp to a Kerry King signature model, only to find out it has only one channel, so now he has it on clean with the boss gt 8 in front of it again...
I used to know another guy who went from london city to engl powerball to line 6 vetta. And he was in a metalband as well.

Another dude comes to mind......Dude was rocking a 5150. Apparently, he spilled (multiple) beers that were SETTING ON TOP OF THE HEAD down into the vent. I guess he didn't bother to check the tubes. But "the amp's not working right, so I'm running it on the Lead channel with the gain on 10 and a distortion pedal in front of the amp to get the amount of distortion I need"...... =/

Then, said amp just stops working. I offered to take it home, try to fix it, and buy it off dude. Get it home, open it up - at least 2 of the power tubes were cracked and broken. Totally fucked. Popped in new tubes and replaced the main fuse - good as new.

Some people......

I have had my share of mistakes. I once ran my Mark IV SPEAKER OUT (instead of recording out) into a buddies old reel-to-reel and fried one of the input channels.

heh...i remember when i almost had you talked into selling that thing to me. would've been one of my finest moments, for sure!

gotta admit, my first rig was a cheap-shit indonesian strat into an MT2, and then into a 20W rogue combo amp

i thought it was pretty awesome...but i was also only 15

heh...i remember when i almost had you talked into selling that thing to me. would've been one of my finest moments, for sure!

Hehe, yep. I remember a few of you guys from LoG board were battling for it. Still have it, though it barely gets use. Just enjoy the Mark IV much more.

My very first "rig": Hondo (Strat knock-off) into a Roktron distortion pedal (I'm pretty sure it was Roktron....cheap, plastic piece of garbage), into a MARLBORO Soundworks 40watt amp....Think it was a 15" speaker. Disgusting!!

Just read a thread on a famous audio gear french forum in which a guy was asking if he could get a modern metal tone out of a HT5 and a TS, mentioning Ola's video about it, and almost every single response was "nop man, get a Guyatone Metal Monster, the TS is not a metal distortion." ...
Para%2BIsma%2Bel%2Bfacepalm%2Bdefinitivo.jpg

Which forum is that ? :D

Love dat picture !

Also, just to update.

The same kid buying the bass cab for guitar, who also made me start this thread, just texted me saying he bought a BC Rich Virgin bronze series.
I've lost hope.