Do you know who your real friends are?

Oblivious Maximus

I am the worm
Nov 5, 2003
Serving time in the middle of nowhere
Well well. It's time for more philosophical drivel from everybody's favorite chest thumping poser. Simple question. Do you know who your real friends are? It sounds easy. Most people would think "yes, i know who my real friends are." Well, in this time and age of shit talking and pussy whipping, it's not so easy to tell. I'll give an example from my own current life. I used to be really good friends with two people. Well, one of these people got a girlfriend, and his balls got cut off in the process. Now, the other one has a girlfriend, and is pussywhipped beyond you're wild imagination. Ok, so these two have been slowly teaming up and their girlfriends are trying to turn them against me, and another one of my real good friends.

I told that because it's a segway to my next story. One of the two "friends" mentioned above is really starting to be a royal pain in my ass because I hang out with my cousins! You heard it right. He's pissed because I'm hanging out with family! Well, I've got news for you, it's none of your fucking business. It's sad when you need to constantly look over your shoulder because you never known when one of your "friends" will stab you in the back. I mentioned pussywhipping. I fucking hate pussywhipped guys. They forget that actually have friends. Sure, they have a girlfriend. Great. But they don't need to have a fucking leash tied to their dick every day of their lives. Those types of people are pathetic. They're too scared that their precious girlfriend will break up with them. Whop-de-fucking-do!

I know that this has absoultly nothing to do with anything. But, call me old-school. I like to know who my REAL friends are. And right about now, I'm really confused. And I HATE being confused. I'm about ready to say fuck it, and not call one of those 2, or both of them my friends. That hasn't happened just yet, but it just might. I hope people will read this and get something out of it. Like I said, it's really random, but I feel it's a good kind of random.

Oblivious Maximus said:
Well well. It's time for more philosophical drivel from everybody's favorite chest thumping poser. Simple question. Do you know who your real friends are? It sounds easy. Most people would think "yes, i know who my real friends are." Well, in this time and age of shit talking and pussy whipping, it's not so easy to tell. I'll give an example from my own current life. I used to be really good friends with two people. Well, one of these people got a girlfriend, and his balls got cut off in the process. Now, the other one has a girlfriend, and is pussywhipped beyond you're wild imagination. Ok, so these two have been slowly teaming up and their girlfriends are trying to turn them against me, and another one of my real good friends.

I told that because it's a segway to my next story. One of the two "friends" mentioned above is really starting to be a royal pain in my ass because I hang out with my cousins! You heard it right. He's pissed because I'm hanging out with family! Well, I've got news for you, it's none of your fucking business. It's sad when you need to constantly look over your shoulder because you never known when one of your "friends" will stab you in the back. I mentioned pussywhipping. I fucking hate pussywhipped guys. They forget that actually have friends. Sure, they have a girlfriend. Great. But they don't need to have a fucking leash tied to their dick every day of their lives. Those types of people are pathetic. They're too scared that their precious girlfriend will break up with them. Whop-de-fucking-do!

I know that this has absoultly nothing to do with anything. But, call me old-school. I like to know who my REAL friends are. And right about now, I'm really confused. And I HATE being confused. I'm about ready to say fuck it, and not call one of those 2, or both of them my friends. That hasn't happened just yet, but it just might. I hope people will read this and get something out of it. Like I said, it's really random, but I feel it's a good kind of random.

I'll make this a philosophical discussion by giving you this link http://classics.mit.edu/Aristotle/nicomachaen.8.viii.html Chapter 8 of Nicomachean ethics, which is a rather in depth conversation of all forms of friendship. It is very relevant still today.

Aristotle...crazy man. I had an undergraduate lecture around 5 years ago that badmouthed the man to hell. I wish i could remember what it said, cause all i can remember is the feeling that maybe aristotle is revered(?) far too much.

I quit hanging out with most of my friends high school friends when I started college. . I don't really care though. I have never hung out with someone who would stab me in the back. I have always been really careful of who I choose to hang out with. I'm not into drama; it's fucking annoying. I always saw all these people in high school that would act like they are best friends, then in another class one of them would be talking shit about the other. That's fucked up. I would never do that to anyone. If I were you I would just talk to those people and if it doesn't work, then they aren't worth it.

Every form of union between people is based on some kind of transfer... Psychological projections, genetical need for a mate, need to express ourselves. I don't think there is really "Friendship for life", "real friendship" or anything like that. Most of the people get friends they deserve, but it is hard to accept that we are responsible for our own lives.
It is funny, so much people are complaining about feeling alone, or do not having real friend that can understand them, and it is most of the time because they want to have something, to take something, and are not interested in giving.

And even if two persons are giving and open, they are not perfect at some point they will change, and their ways will split. Only it will be easy and with understanding, and in those cases people tend to think that "circumstances of life have separated them" but it is themselves, they have changed and lost interest to share life with other one or they are interested more in something else, or some other, new persons.

One guru described love as a "Hormonal contract" and friendship as a "Conspiracy of sleepers (dreamers)", and it is quite truthfull in most of cases.

Most people I know in my program in college just sit around and whine and bitch about other people constantly instead of just getting to work. I really regret making "friends" with them. I like to stick to a few close friends than making friends with everybody anyway.

This goes off a little topic but I think nothing holds true than people generally make the closest friends with people who are closely alike.

Final_Product said:
Aristotle...crazy man. I had an undergraduate lecture around 5 years ago that badmouthed the man to hell. I wish i could remember what it said, cause all i can remember is the feeling that maybe aristotle is revered(?) far too much.
well, he was wrong about matter in the first place. He thought that all objects were not divisible.

Final_Product said:

There is nothing worse than a college prof who hasnt amounted to anything, who feels insecure in the face of a greater mind. To judge most of Aristotle's science by today's standards is ridiculous. Aristotle for god sakes, was for the most part the first real scientist. Of course he was going to make some errors. His Ethics and his Politics are still excellent and relevant. His logic still survives as well.

And it was not his fault, that his scientific ideas, and logic, was by and large the only thing to survive the Christian onslaught of burning and destroying the knowledge of the more advanced ancients.

He is actually an incredibly talented lecturer. I'm not doubting Aristotle's relevance nor the power of his mind. ALL I am saying is that the lecture I had seemed to make alot of sense to me. Even years ago when I was drunk and stoned most of the day.

Plus, please don't insult Dr N. He done alot for me as an undergrad and also as a post-grad. He's at the cutting edge of reception studies within classical history, not to mention a witty and intelligent man, so i apologise if i made him seem like an idiot who randomly flung insults at Aristotle.

Final_Product said:
He is actually an incredibly talented lecturer. I'm not doubting Aristotle's relevance nor the power of his mind. ALL I am saying is that the lecture I had seemed to make alot of sense to me. Even years ago when I was drunk and stoned most of the day.

Plus, please don't insult Dr N. He done alot for me as an undergrad and also as a post-grad. He's at the cutting edge of reception studies within classical history, not to mention a witty and intelligent man, so i apologise if i made him seem like an idiot who randomly flung insults at Aristotle.

The way you phrased, it sounded as if this prof had a inferiority complex. I think constructive criticism is always excellent, but if I was a prof, I wouldnt use my pedestal to argue why fucking Aristotle wasnt anything but a goliath in human knowledge.

Aristotle was wrong about many things - so incorrect were many of his claims that, to some, he seems laughable at this point (e.g. He thought fossils of fish to be evidence of creatures that "swam through dirt and rock").

Fact is, he ranks up there with figures like Socrates, Newton, Descartes and Freud as being responsible for not just introducing new ideas, but actually changing the way in which we perceive the world.

That's huge.

The idea that the world can be categorized and so classified (and as such, understood) is now inseperable from the way we think...thankyou Aristotle.

speed it seems to me you've got it backwards- and you're the one glorifying the man.

imo a true friend is one who supports you when you're right, and stops you when you're wrong. who comforts and hurts you if necessary, for your own good. false friends are friendly only to achieve self-interest, or afraid to contradict for fear of losing friendship. i realize this is not a "logical" or "scientific" explanation, but i'm sure you understand it anyway.

I don't know if their is any defintion of a "true friend" that encompasses all the various elements people would consider to be part of such an idea.

The greeting card psychology of ^ is not what i'd consider to necessarily be a "true friend".

Crimson Velvet said:
Aristotle was indeed a goliath, but he's views on women did a lot of damage in the years that were to come.

Sorry for the completely unrelevant post.

No thats fine. I am just stating even if you dislike some of his myriad of accomplishments, that does not justify condeming him--and to do so is the mark of jealousy.

I only brought that up that lecture because I thought it somewhat relevant. Nobody is condemning Aristotle, only that we can't just accept everything he says because he is Aristotle.

I know that almost all of my friends don't have a "true" bone in their bodies, and I enjoy the company of each and every one for precisely that reason - I very rarely form relationships based on trust and support and deepest understanding (indeed, I tend to actively avoid it), they're usually based on wit and humour.

Have you talked to these people about they way they're treating you? I find alot of times they way I think my friends are interpreting a situation is completely different than they way I percieve what is happening.

I think people change frequently, whether it be their lifestyle or values or interests. That is part of the reason it is so hard to be a good friend over a long period of time. I chose my friends based on how they treat me and other people, and if I enjoy being in their presence.