From the beginning.

Mendel

Lag Arkane
Jun 11, 2005
The Netherlands
www.mendelb.com
ok guys, i have a amp and let's say i buy a mic then what.
i have nuendo and how do i hook the mic up ? i have a little mixingboard ( see pictures ) but how do you hook something up to your pc ?

like:

amp -> mic -> mixing pedal -> then what ?

THX GUYS !!
here are some pic's of the mixing pedal:

You will need some kind of an audio interface, such as the M-Audio Audiophile (if you're on a budget.) Don't use a consumer soundcard. But that mixer looks pretty cheesy, and it very likely will degrade the overall signal quality of anything that passes through it.

I'd suggest getting a dedicated firewire breakout box interface that has a mix of 1/4" and XLR ins, phantom power, etc.

Kazrog said:
You will need some kind of an audio interface, such as the M-Audio Audiophile (if you're on a budget.) Don't use a consumer soundcard. But that mixer looks pretty cheesy, and it very likely will degrade the overall signal quality of anything that passes through it.

I'd suggest getting a dedicated firewire breakout box interface that has a mix of 1/4" and XLR ins, phantom power, etc.

ah ok thx !

let's google what: M-Audio Audiophile is, and firewire breakout box interface that has a mix of 1/4" and XLR ins, phantom power.
sorry im a noob with micing. but thx anyway !!
anyone else has some info ?

An audio interface (firewire-connected or otherwise) is how you connect audio equipment to your computer. The M-Audio Audiophile is a low cost interface made by M-Audio, who is a good semi-pro audio hardware manufacturer. However, rather than the Audiophile, I'd say your best bet is a more full-featured interface such as this:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FireWire410-main.html

Microphones (almost always) are connected using XLR cables (you know, the ones with the fat ends and the 3 pins.) 1/4" cables are instrument cables (guitar cables.) This interface supports both!

Some mics (usually condenser mics) require phantom power to operate. This means that whatever you plug them into needs to be able to send 48 volts of electric current down the XLR cable to the mic, otherwise known as phantom power.

If you are getting a mic for the sole purposes of recording your guitar cabinet, just get a Shure SM57. You don't need a condenser mic and you won't need phantom power to do this - but it's good to have phantom power available in case you ever need it (condenser mics that require phantom power are great for recording vocals, acoustic guitar, etc.) Just make sure you turn off phantom power when you're not using it, the 48v can potentially damage passive mics like SM 57s!!

You will need to have a Firewire 400 port on your computer. If you don't have one, you can pick up a Firewire PCI card for typically around $40 USD. Any interface worth using will connect to this.

Kazrog said:

Hello Kazrog. It's funny you mentioned the M-Audio Audiophile as I'm seriously considering buying one. Which mixer/mic preamp would you advise?

Thank you.

Nuno

no i wasnt that'why i made it so big :D:D !! haha sorry. i don't know how to make digica pic's smaller. and to fabz: that scni schna schnappi krokodile is still here on television. it mkes me nuts.

thx for the link !!

AND IF I KNOW HE CRAZY FROG !?!?! IT'S EVERY GODDAMN DAY HERE ON TV !!
AND THEY GOT SOME MANY VIDEOS, I HATE IT !!! i with a rocket 1 with a dj.
always that penis omfg i hte it. i wanna kill him.

Forge Farm said:
Hello Kazrog. It's funny you mentioned the M-Audio Audiophile as I'm seriously considering buying one. Which mixer/mic preamp would you advise?

Thank you.

Nuno

It's not like the Audiophile or anything else M-Audio makes or that I would recommend is the gospel, it's just that they have the best entry-level pro digital audio hardware out there. As for a preamp, there's lots of great stuff out there, but it is seldom cheap. I'm looking into getting a Presonus Eureka soon, which is about as cheap as you would ever want to go and still have a quality preamp.

Kazrog said:
It's not like the Audiophile or anything else M-Audio makes or that I would recommend is the gospel, it's just that they have the best entry-level pro digital audio hardware out there. As for a preamp, there's lots of great stuff out there, but it is seldom cheap. I'm looking into getting a Presonus Eureka soon, which is about as cheap as you would ever want to go and still have a quality preamp.
i have a friend who has a eureka and its really sweet on pretty much everything. i mean obviously there is better, but not in this price range. i own a digimax with 8 presonus preamps built in and they sound really good to me. i will also get a eureka at some point. first though i want to get a vintech x73 though. i just started using one of those at the studio i am working at and it absolutley slays for recording guitar. and probably anything else for that matter. its like 1500.00 and worth every penny.