FS: Peavey 6505+ head with Road Case

Kazrog

Kazrog, Inc.
Mar 6, 2002
California
kazrog.com
So I'm finally selling my 6505+ (and road case) after a few months of threatening to. I've decided to go with an Engl e530 preamp for my tone in the studio, and I use a Line 6 HD 147 live for convenience.

EDIT - sold to somebody in my hometown. I will post Engl clips as soon as it arrives!

Hahahaha... well man I've given it some serious thought and I'm serious about it. I are serious cat. And I may take your advice later, who knows, in the mean time, the 6505+ really isn't fitting in well for me live or in the studio due to the fact that it's a tube head, and I really don't need one of those anymore.

How come you feel you don't need one in the studio dude? I would think that for any recording you'd do you'd want to mic a cab rather than just use impulses (which I assume is all you'd be able to do with the e530).

How come you feel you don't need one in the studio dude? I would think that for any recording you'd do you'd want to mic a cab rather than just use impulses (which I assume is all you'd be able to do with the e530).

Not going to be miking cabs on the next Backmask album, for a variety of reasons. I am totally stoked on the Impulses I've created, and if I need to make more impulses myself I still can use the power section of my Line 6 HD147 to get sweeps pumped through my cabs to create more.

I know you guys think I'm crazy for doing this but if I can't prove you guys wrong I'll just pick up another 5150 as DSS3 suggested.

post your impulses! Pretty please?

Posted these a while back, here they are again. See if you like them, I have some newer ones I haven't uploaded, that I think sound subjectively better with the various things I've tried, but sometimes these older ones sound good too. It all depends on what the preamp is, the guitar, the desired sound, etc. Maybe I'll upload the newer ones at some point. :loco:

I also like the GuitarHack impulses, and some others I've found floating around. Lots of cool stuff out there, most all impulses benefit greatly from post processing though.

most all impulses benefit greatly from post processing though.

What kind of post processing do you do? CurveEQ, compression, etc? Can you give us some examples of a pre and post processed recording snippet done with one of your impulses (for those of us still struggling to use them with success) and then give a brief description of what you did?

Thanks man.

hmm I don't understand how to use them. The other impulses i've seen are .wav files. These arn't. I use revalver mk2 to load impulses. Are these only for a certain plug in?

Edrums too?

We are going to start gigging with drum tracks, since we don't have a drummer at the moment. We'd love to get a drummer who uses electronic drums, though, as it would make setup a lot easier and sound much cleaner. We've done shows where my guitar and doc's bass were direct, so the only mics were on our other guitarist's cab and our former drummer's kit (and of course vocal mics.) We found that the direct stuff sounded the best and most reliable at a variety of venues in the Los Angeles area.

hmm I don't understand how to use them. The other impulses i've seen are .wav files. These arn't. I use revalver mk2 to load impulses. Are these only for a certain plug in?

It's actually just one impulse I realized (hadn't downloaded it and checked in a while) - This was created with Altiverb, but it will work with Revalver and any other impulse supporting software. If need be, convert the audio to a wav file in your favorite editor: first, rename the file "6505 IR-2" to "6505 IR-2.sd2" (it's in the main folder after unzipping) and then it should open up in most editors and DAWs (it's a sound designer II file recorded with Digital Performer.)

The "Mesa Oversize v30 i5 mic" folder and its contents are Altiverb-only and you can ignore/trash it if Altiverb is not your program of choice.

I probably could have made this more friendly to people who aren't Altiverb/Mac/DP users... sorry!

What kind of post processing do you do? CurveEQ, compression, etc? Can you give us some examples of a pre and post processed recording snippet done with one of your impulses (for those of us still struggling to use them with success) and then give a brief description of what you did?

Thanks man.

I'll post some clips once I get the Engl, but in general my answer is "whatever works." Top shelf EQ emulation is key. Use a Neve, API, or Pultec emulation plugin and your guitar will sound much better, impulses or otherwise. Sometimes I use more than one of these, such as a Neve+Pultec (in that order - usually...) The Waves C4 is always a useful tool as we all know, in moderation...

I don't compress guitar signals other than using some careful, subtle multiband compression, otherwise it gets that annoying overcompressed nu metal sound - see the band Three Days Grace for the most vomit-inducing examples of compression plus hard/lazy edits ruining a guitar sound. :lol:

hmmi may already have that then. I downloaded the marshall impulses splatt made and it had a "Mesa4x12IR" impulse with it. That package also had two carvin legacy impulses.