fuck college

The problem with colleges these days is twofold:

1) Highschools don't provide adequate education anymore, and are basically turning into daycare centres for teenagers

2) Because of pressure in society to get undergraduate degrees "or else you won't be successful in life" the university system is flooded with a huge number of kids who either a) just want to party, and have no real ambition of their own to do well in their classes; or b) have no idea why they're taking an undergraduate education, and subsequently go into anywhere from $20,000 to $200,000 in debt, for reasons beyond their own rationale.

The consequences are also twofold:

1) Highschools are no longer able to offer a sufficient level of education to the youth.

2) The value of a University undergraduate degree has been cheapened to a very expensive placemat (if laminated) because of their ever widening proliferation among non-intellectuals.

Education now simply means regurgitation. That's it. Remember chunks of things and pass, with an A. Stimulis to thought has been overlooked. Old fashioned Universities retain the thrist for individual thinking, but they are a meat market for the under achievers. I dedicate 100% of my time supporting the 90% that shouldn't even be here.

Education now simply means regurgitation. That's it. Remember chunks of things and pass, with an A. Stimulis to thought has been overlooked. Old fashioned Universities retain the thrist for individual thinking, but they are a meat market for the under achievers. I dedicate 100% of my time supporting the 90% that shouldn't even be here.

100% Truth.

A major problem, which is perhaps one of the most harmful.

I like college because in high school, you're basically herded through like cattle, the majority of teachers don't care if you learn anything, and neither do most of the jackass students. In college the people that don't want to be in school are (mostly) not there, and I leave a class with the feeling that I've actually learned something.

I like college because in high school, you're basically herded through like cattle, the majority of teachers don't care if you learn anything, and neither do most of the jackass students. In college the people that don't want to be in school are (mostly) not there, and I leave a class with the feeling that I've actually learned something.

well, if you avoid the fraternity and sorority people and the crap associated with them, you're already one step ahead of everyone else.

Could be worse. You could work for a corporately owned online "institution" that has become so focused on numbers your job is to basically convince people to stay in school who are completely incapable. When all you really want to do is tell them that "no, many people are not meant for higher education."

Fucking customer service educations.

Hey Matt, no matter how bad you think the college system is in Canada/America, when I began taking classes here in Germany, man...I really appreciate the system back home now. I don't know about other countries in Europe, but I'm afraid to go to a doctor because I know his or her German education probably took place in Germany. Here are what the different types of German classes want students to do:

1) For this one, one must only attend class. No papers, no tests, but one still receives credit somehow...

2) One presentation is done on a completely random topic within your field of study, and that is your semester grade. The rest of the semester you just go to class and watch other people do the same bullshit assignments.

3) There is one test at the end of the semester that counts for absolutely everything, but depending on the class, you might not actually DO ANYTHING AT ALL and therefore what should one study?

I'm getting bored of writing this but there is another class where you have to write a huge 20-30 page research paper after the semester is over and while you have a break from classes, and that is your grade.

I am extremely critical of the German education system. It has been fucking me over from the start. I hope this year will even count for anything- I hope no one at home realizes how much of a joke my classes have been and deny me credit. There isn't much inspiration to actually go to class either; classes are usually just ONCE per week for a whole hour and a half. Seriously, how can there ever be any decent discussions in class with that amount of time? How do people learn anything here?

Anyone feel free to try and argue with/correct me. This is my interpretation. This is also the interpretation of many other exchange students. We have that special priviledge to view what's going on as foreigners, and we also have it easier than the Germans. We have special classes, if we choose to choose them, that are modelled differently than the standard classes at the Uni. They are easier and one might actually take three tests instead of one. Let me end with a quote from my friend Tyler, who studies anthropology here, also on exchange, "There's a reason why there aren't any well-known German anthropologists- they don't fucking learn anything in school."

I have no intent to argue but I think that European and American educational systems are so different that anyone from Amereica coming to study in Europe and the other way round would find it strange. I've herd a lot of Americans criticizing European ways of education and even more Europeans criticizing American ways. I think both systems work - terminal knowlege is approximately the same. I would never participate in student exchange program to go studying in America but I'll gladly go for a practice after finishing university program though.
It also very much depends on what you study and the university in which you study (so don't be affraid to go to doctors). I also think you should stay at list a year or year a nd a half to get the right feeling about the system

Hey Matt, no matter how bad you think the college system is in Canada/America, when I began taking classes here in Germany, man...I really appreciate the system back home now. I don't know about other countries in Europe, but I'm afraid to go to a doctor because I know his or her German education probably took place in Germany. Here are what the different types of German classes want students to do:

1) For this one, one must only attend class. No papers, no tests, but one still receives credit somehow...

2) One presentation is done on a completely random topic within your field of study, and that is your semester grade. The rest of the semester you just go to class and watch other people do the same bullshit assignments.

3) There is one test at the end of the semester that counts for absolutely everything, but depending on the class, you might not actually DO ANYTHING AT ALL and therefore what should one study?

I'm getting bored of writing this but there is another class where you have to write a huge 20-30 page research paper after the semester is over and while you have a break from classes, and that is your grade.

I am extremely critical of the German education system. It has been fucking me over from the start. I hope this year will even count for anything- I hope no one at home realizes how much of a joke my classes have been and deny me credit. There isn't much inspiration to actually go to class either; classes are usually just ONCE per week for a whole hour and a half. Seriously, how can there ever be any decent discussions in class with that amount of time? How do people learn anything here?

Anyone feel free to try and argue with/correct me. This is my interpretation. This is also the interpretation of many other exchange students. We have that special priviledge to view what's going on as foreigners, and we also have it easier than the Germans. We have special classes, if we choose to choose them, that are modelled differently than the standard classes at the Uni. They are easier and one might actually take three tests instead of one. Let me end with a quote from my friend Tyler, who studies anthropology here, also on exchange, "There's a reason why there aren't any well-known German anthropologists- they don't fucking learn anything in school."

Sounds like it has its own benefits and drawbacks, just like anything else.

I particularly that idea of just going to class, and then giving a presentation or doing a research paper after all of it as a way of proving your knowledge and ability of independent thought as opposed to, as derek said, regurgitating and material on a test and then forgetting it afterwards. However, not having actually seen it for myself, I could be missing the point.

and don't get me wrong, I haven't done any 4th year seminar courses around here yet, so after I take a few of those, my cynicism of the Canadian/American system my change, because those actually look like decent classes to take.

Also, the system is tolerable to work within still, it's just that the corporatization of education (making Universities analogous to factories) is clearly taking its toll on the quality of education being offered.

I decided to take a semester off, and my student loans want me to pay them back.... with my car loan, insurance, and credit card debt, i should be able to pay them all off this year. I'll go back next year for spring classes... pretty much debt free at that point.

I like college. I mean, I go to a fairly small science school in Philadelphia. Basically, the only people that come here a really dedicated to doing well. And those that aren't, most likely, will drop out or transfer after Fall semester as a freshman. Everyone seems to take everything seriously here, and being in the smaller classes, I feel I can learn a lot more from all of my professors. The workload is pretty harsh at times, but i've made it through without any problems so far.

someone was telling me the basic difference is that American high school is easy and college is hard, and in Europe high school is hard and college is easy.

someone was telling me the basic difference is that American high school is easy and college is hard, and in Europe high school is hard and college is easy.

If the high school is really hard, the college may seem easier but it' is not necessarily