Fun with Metal!

Grunge didnt kill Hair Rock

what killed it is the kids who stopped buying it because they wanted bands that sounded different from each other and wanted their own music instead of what they had forced on them for the past almost 10 years
There is truth to that, I agree. For me ( and I was in my mid teens when Nirvana hit ) there was room for both. Not the glam rock because as you said that music just got worse and worse, but hard rock. So I never understood the dropping of it all. Those bands were still selling out arenas and then boom, gone lol. Not many of those Grunge and Alternative bands sold very well and were gone after one album. So in a way..more than one way really, the industry tanked itself.
I can only think of a couple that really turned into something. Pearl Jam, Soungarden and Nirvana. We'll never know if Nirvana could have kept it going. Pearl Jam did but they kinda turned into a family sing along band. Soundgarden imploded, after being in the spotlight for only a few years..unfortunately. And maybe..Smashing Pumpkins? I don't count AIC as I see them as a Metal band, Not Thrash obviously. But Metal. I do even remember them saying that on Headbangers Ball "just a Metal Band" But anyway, the whole movement really only had a few years. And then everything got dropped for rap and hip hop which was very cheap to make and have less fans that don't really care about too much I think.

Reactions: Trodden
that was the other thing that killed it, was the hair rock bands felt like they would be there forever, got comfy, the music got (even) worse and the labels did nothing to prevent it

I know Nirvarna gets a lot of credit for killing those bands, but Id have to give it to Soundgarden

they were already doing their thing and were a smooth transition for music fans who were beginning to realize what they were buying really sucked and they could get good music by people who knew how to play instruments and had talent

Blame Soundgarden, not 'No Head' Kurt
Soundgarden was the best of them:headbang: and they had more Sabbath in them than the others. IMO.

Reactions: Trodden
That has some truth to it, grunge and pop music was marketed way better than metal ever was, it still is and realistically you can't blame record companies for that, they are simply doing what all businesses do. They are a business, they are in it for themselves, they are in it to make as much money as quickly and as easily as possible, why would they put shitloads of effort into a genre that often self implodes when they have an almost certain money winner on another genre.
They are absolutely in it for themselves. The thing I think backfired for them about that was that they lumped in more extreme metal along with the rock bands. The metal bands that got any sort of attention at all like a video or radio play blew up in success. Every single one of them,without fail. The problem was outside of just a few bands the record companies didn't keep at it. That along with the shuffling of labels and staff spelled doom for real success with our bands. But! as Eric Peterson says, it weeded out the weak. That's what's great about Thrash. They really are in it for the music. They kept going with no support.

Reactions: Slammed and Trodden
The publicity wagon did move into a higher gear in the 90's and trash reporting became more of the thing but I don't even think they helped grunge that much. You're right about sales though, record companies changed instead of during the 60's 70's and 80's where they looked at bands who could pump out three or four albums of what they were signed for record companies looked for bands that could make one or two albums that they could flood the market with in an effort to beat the opposition doing the same thing. Why they choose grunge I would imagine has more to do with what their market research told them the kids of the time would buy.
They really did flood the market didn't they?! Seemed like every week there was another 10 bands that came straight from the garage lol
And I agree, when that stuff came out I didn't really see it as very different to what else was going on. Outside of some of the alternative bands who were trying to look as weird as possible and there playing made me wonder if they knew anything at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slammed and Trodden
They are absolutely in it for themselves. The thing I think backfired for them about that was that they lumped in more extreme metal along with the rock bands. The metal bands that got any sort of attention at all like a video or radio play blew up in success. Every single one of them,without fail. The problem was outside of just a few bands the record companies didn't keep at it. That along with the shuffling of labels and staff spelled doom for real success with our bands. But! as Eric Peterson says, it weeded out the weak. That's what's great about Thrash. They really are in it for the music. They kept going with no support.

After the birth of grunge and the resurgence of pop came the massive insurgence of all those 'core' bands. The record companies may well be controlling what gets market share but they are doing it because they know it sells. Metalcore bands are nothing new, their music is often a mix of hard rock and re-hashed riffs then they add some emo lyrics and a growly voice occasionally and the kids eat it up. Worldwide record sales might be down but kids don't care about CD's they just want music. Record company's know they can flood the market with 10 metalcore bands that all sound the same and sing about loosing their girl friends and being depressed all the time and the kids will buy it. They might not always buy albums but they will buy songs.

I agree that it's bands like Testament that just keep ploughing along that are still enjoying success even if it's not world domination, but the big difference between some of the 80's trash bands and all these new core bands is that the longer serving bands will be remembered. Kids today have a short attention span and if todays band doesn't produce something for 12 months they are forgotten and replaced. Metal fans might look at new music but they don't forget a band like Testament and have more forgiveness for them if it's a few years between records.

Reactions: redfly
They really did flood the market didn't they?! Seemed like every week there was another 10 bands that came straight from the garage lol
And I agree, when that stuff came out I didn't really see it as very different to what else was going on. Outside of some of the alternative bands who were trying to look as weird as possible and there playing made me wonder if they knew anything at all.

It's a bit of a naive way to look at things and say all grunge bands were basically the same and we'd probably defend trash metal bands if someone said the same thing but it is true. I'm sure someone could point out a million differences between all the grunge bands, the same with today's metalcore bands but at the end of the day when so many new bands are introduced at the same time and they all look the same and sound the same it's hard not to make that comparison.

Occasionally I will do a hunt of websites and look for new thrash bands because with the world so open and easy to access now there is so many thrash bands to discover. Some are new, some are just releasing new stuff and I haven't heard of them before and others are just from countries that get little air play. But I only do it every six months or so and I note the bands down and listen to them over a few weeks because I don't want to be constantly inundated with new music and get into a position where it all starts to sound the same, or to a point where I can't tell which band I'm listening too as happened with both grunge and metalcore which I didn't really chose to listen to but heard everywhere anyway.

Things are ok, I'm still going back a bunch to do things. But it looks like it's going to sell fast. Freaking boring here though, everything closes at 9-10!
Wassup with you?

Reactions: Neptune
Well @ least you have the new ride and some road time tunes,good for the soul!Me,pretty much working and taking care of my parents and trying to keep up my own household talk about boring!On one hand I guess it’s a noble thing because you gotta take of the parents ya know but little time for anything else fun lol!

Good for you man, A lot of people don't take care of their parents!
I can't remember the last time I had real fun lol
Wait a minute,really?You have been seeing that girl from Maine right?