FX chains confuse the SHIT out of me

professorlamp

I are Joe
Nov 2, 2009
Wales, United Kingdom
Seriously what goes where?
I was just working on a bass tone and decided to put the EQ before and after the distortion, this channel was highpassed at 200hz so I though 'I'll put the EQ first to filter out the lows and then the distortion to amplify what i want'

Is that the right way or the wrong way?
I know there's many variables to this stuff, which is what makes it so confusing. It also pisses me off when people say
'do you want to distort your wah or wah your distortion'.....WHAT!? :lol:

I need a life lesson in these things they are the bane of my existence :(
Help a man in need :tickled:

That would depend on what you're doing with the bass signal. I'll assume you're distorting a multed signal from your bass for that bit of gel, no? In that case, you're doing it right. Myself, I'd EQ first. hp @ like 300, lp around 2k, add overdrive, then go back and adjust my EQ to distort what I want, maybe another EQ after distortion to sculpt or remove a little more. Blend to taste.

Others would distort to hell, EQ after.

I think you're thinking too hard. Stop thinking right now.

If you filter the lows out before the distortion then you'll get a thinner and cleaner sound but the distortion will add lows back in. If you filter the lows out after the distortion then you might get a dirtier, messier tone, but without the lows. Maybe you want to filter out the lows both before and after, to get a really 'clean', tight distortion.

Heyy guys, i need to ask a stupid question, but it's important :)
If i use buses for recording from an audio track to a new audio track, like drum triggering, or pitch correction ... is it important to have a good quality sound card with a good internal clock to do that, or it uses the CPU, so the sound card doesn't matter? :)
I want to do recordings at home with PT-Apogee and other stuffs i need to do anywere i am, so i need to use my laptop for things like drum triggering, pitch correction to a new track with the poor built in sound card, if it's possible with buses :)
Any help appreciated ;)

Heyy guys, i need to ask a stupid question, but it's important :)
If i use buses for recording from an audio track to a new audio track, like drum triggering, or pitch correction ... is it important to have a good quality sound card with a good internal clock to do that, or it uses the CPU, so the sound card doesn't matter? :)
I want to do recordings at home with PT-Apogee and other stuffs i need to do anywere i am, so i need to use my laptop for things like drum triggering, pitch correction to a new track with the poor built in sound card, if it's possible with buses :)
Any help appreciated ;)

Bussing is completely internal and none of the audio is actually fed through your device to achieve this.

So no, sound card doesn't matter when printing tracks through a buss.