game music

dreigrasheir

New Metal Member
Jul 21, 2003
hey. i'm a big fan of SX, and have heard rumors that they had done a few songs for castlevania: symphony of the night, one of the best game soundtracks ive ever heard. I have to admit a lot of the music on there sounds like SX stuff. Can anyone confirm/slay this rumor?

I saw a bunch of stuff under Symphony X on Kaaza that is similar. I didn't get a chance to download it, though.

I highly doubt it is Symphony X. It probably just sounds a lot like them (their music would fit REALLY well into the Castlevania games).

for those who have not, i'd higly reccommend downloading some of the castlevania: symphony of the night soundtrack. even if it isn't SX, it sounds a lot like them, and i think you would all like it. music like that made the game one of the best ive ever played, plus the game is just plain awesome

LOL.....funny! I was thinking not too long ago that it would be cool if the ps2 Castlevania (coming out in November) would have cool metal music in it like in Symphony of the Night but with some actual metal bands doing tracks for it. And of course I thought Symphony X would be one of the best bands they could get. I thought that since metal/prog has such a great following in Japan it might happen. To my own dissapointment I read that the chick who writes all Castlevania music is not going to use any guitars.........its a shame cause a ps2 can easily play high quality music and is fit to do so. She is still implementing the dark baroque classical sounds that still makes the music great just no guitars. The reason you find Castlevania music when looking for SX is that in Japan the series is called Dracula X, therefore the Symphony of the Night title on the ps1 game is probably mixed with the Dracula X title so ppl know exactly which game is being reffered to (Symphony X........X Symphony just doesn't sound right). So no, all music on that soundtrack is done by Japanese guys. Yes, they do an excellent job and outside Japan they are usually underappreciated.

theres a CD out in Japan of Castlevania songs done by a metal band with this SICK Japanese Yngwie style player named Katsu. I heard some of it, and if you ever thought Castlevania music couldn't be better, wait until you hear what it sounds like with top notch shredding in it :D

But my favorite video game composer is without a doubt Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy games)

nah. those songs aren't by SyX at all. but that game on the PlayStation has a lot of kicking tunes...try checking out the theme for the "Colosseum" stage for some classic guitar interludes...really cool.

lol when i first started getting a little SyX..i got that castlevania-requiem of gods.. bloody cool music but i figured out after a while that its wasnt actually by SyX..it just comes up coz of the name Symphony in it.

So what is the name of that cd of the guy named Katsu who shreds Castlevania music......sounds cool, is it kinda like what The Black Mages do for FF music? Oh....and Yngvai, Uematsu is great but my fav game music composer would probably be Yasunori Mitsuda, he did music for games like Chrono Trigger/Cross, Xenogears, Xenosaga: Episode I, and Breath of Fire V. I like how his style changes with each composition and he really uses a charade of instruments to keep things fresh and new. Uematsu never really leaves the techno keyboard sound too much and gets repetitive sometimes. In this day and age of game music he just doesn't use as much string and wind arrangements as Mitsuda.
BTW.......any gamers heard of a game called Guilty Gear X or Guilty Gear X2? It is a 2d fighter with a killer metal soundtrack........actually, the whole theme of the game is based on metal music. For example, there is a char named Testament (band) and another named Slayer (band). Another char named Axl Low (Axl Rose). A char has a move called Shadow Gallery while another has one called Hammerfall. These examples are just a very tiny nudge of metal references this game has. Those Japanese really do love their metal (japanese game).

symphonyXjapan said:
So what is the name of that cd of the guy named Katsu who shreds Castlevania music......sounds cool, is it kinda like what The Black Mages do for FF music? Oh....and Yngvai, Uematsu is great but my fav game music composer would probably be Yasunori Mitsuda, he did music for games like Chrono Trigger/Cross, Xenogears, Xenosaga: Episode I, and Breath of Fire V. I like how his style changes with each composition and he really uses a charade of instruments to keep things fresh and new. Uematsu never really leaves the techno keyboard sound too much and gets repetitive sometimes. In this day and age of game music he just doesn't use as much string and wind arrangements as Mitsuda.
BTW.......any gamers heard of a game called Guilty Gear X or Guilty Gear X2? It is a 2d fighter with a killer metal soundtrack........actually, the whole theme of the game is based on metal music. For example, there is a char named Testament (band) and another named Slayer (band). Another char named Axl Low (Axl Rose). A char has a move called Shadow Gallery while another has one called Hammerfall. These examples are just a very tiny nudge of metal references this game has. Those Japanese really do love their metal (japanese game).

hahahaha, I might have to rent Guilty Gear X2 to pick up all those metal refferences even tho Im not a big fan of fighting games...as far as the Castlevania metal CD...I dont know the name off the top of my head (I'll ask my friend who has it tho when I see him online next) but from the tracks I heard its MUCH better than Black Mages. For one thing, Katsu can really play. Seriously he sounds JUST like Yngwie sometimes. So picture Castlevania music with Yngwie shredding over it. The guitar solos in Black Mages I thought actually detracted from the songs, they were just uninteresting.

If you don't want to rent the game just to find the references to it just go to www.gamefaqs.com and look up Guilty Gear X2 under the ps2 category. There is a particular faq that tells all the references in the game to metal.......and there is a lot! But if you also want to hear the music then maybe renting it would be not too bad.

symphonyXjapan said:
If you don't want to rent the game just to find the references to it just go to www.gamefaqs.com and look up Guilty Gear X2 under the ps2 category. There is a particular faq that tells all the references in the game to metal.......and there is a lot! But if you also want to hear the music then maybe renting it would be not too bad.

I checked it out and HOLY SHIT man!! I can't believe some of the bands that are refferenced...Silent Force?!?! Royal Hunt?!?! Edguy!?!? friggin SHADOW GALLERY!?!?!? More than 1 Yngwie refference too...more video games need to do stuff like this :D

Yngwie also influences a lot of the music in the game. Ky Kiske (Kiske referenced to Michael Kiske-ex Helloween singer) has a theme song called Holy Orders that is very baroque/malmsteen/Adagio like. There are still a few pretty fruity tunes but as a whole the soundtrack is pretty cool. I even bought a cd of it where an actual japanese band (Lapis Lazuli) covered a lot of the songs and put lyrics to them. Some songs they did twice (one with and one without lyrics) and the lyrics are japanese though. Some songs to recommend if it is too hard to find songs just by looking for Guilty Gear on Kazaa. Awe of She, Midnight Carnival, Writhe in Pain, Still in the Dark, and Holy Orders.

It's Dracula Battle - Perfect Selection
and
Dracula Battle II

Both feature Castlevania songs redone with heavy guitar and full shred solos

Are you sure it's just one guy? To me it sounds like an Yngwie type player (he has a very similar tone) paired with a differently guy who uses more blues stuff and has a thicker tone. Unless it's the same guy with different guitars. I always thought it was two guys though.

Anyway, the first is way better than the second. I got mine of gamemusic.com like 4 or 5 years ago

They may be out of print....
:(

I just went to game music.com and found both you metioned. They were out of stock though and were priced at 15.99 each. I hope they are not out of stock forever? Seeing that I don't think those 2 cd's just recently got a huge amount of orders, they have prob been out for a long time now. Maybe if there is a request for them they might get more in stock? Oh well. And Yngvie.......I never knew there was another member named Kai Hansen since I never have really listened to Helloween, guess it is another reference to metal that the guy who wrote that faq missed.