Game of Thrones / A Song of Ice and Fire

I don't know if that's true. It's been a while since I've read the book but I was more emotionally attached with these characters when reading the book than in the series.

Not using names so I don't spoil it for those who haven't seen it...

What I was getting at is that only 1 of the 3 characters killed in the show was an actual POV character in the book. The male character was definitely given more attention in the show than in the book. The producers mention this in one of the behind-the-scenes shows. The third character (the one who was not killed in the book) was MUCH more front and center in the show than in the book, and this character's death is the most gutwrenching of all (at least visually)....no pun intended.

Not using names so I don't spoil it for those who haven't seen it...

What I was getting at is that only 1 of the 3 characters killed in the show was an actual POV character in the book. The male character was definitely given more attention in the show than in the book. The producers mention this in one of the behind-the-scenes shows. The third character (the one who was not killed in the book) was MUCH more front and center in the show than in the book, and this character's death is the most gutwrenching of all (at least visually)....no pun intended.

[Spoilers ahead]

I seem to remember that both Rob and his mother were POV characters in the books. Rob may have been given a little more screen time in the series but it was mostly about his relationship with his wife which I didn't really care for. It definitely didn't feel like something George Martin would write, way too cliche. It didn't really help to develop his character or make me care more about him. In the books we also get much more background information and somehow his presence seemed more important and meaningful to the story.
I don't know, it just didn't have the same impact for me as it did in the books. Rob's wife's death, like you said, was mostly shocking visually, but I won't really miss her from the show.

Still pulling for Arya above all the rest... the Starks are getting their fuckin asses handed to them over and over again though... ridiculous.

Seems like a matter of time till that blonde and her dragons cross that sea to lay down a pretty total asswhoopin though.

[Spoilers ahead]

I seem to remember that both Rob and his mother were POV characters in the books. Rob may have been given a little more screen time in the series but it was mostly about his relationship with his wife which I didn't really care for. It definitely didn't feel like something George Martin would write, way too cliche. It didn't really help to develop his character or make me care more about him. In the books we also get much more background information and somehow his presence seemed more important and meaningful to the story.
I don't know, it just didn't have the same impact for me as it did in the books. Rob's wife's death, like you said, was mostly shocking visually, but I won't really miss her from the show.

[SPOILERS]

Rob wasn't a POV character. We hear about him primarily from Catelyn's chapters, and for a while we didn't really hear about him at all. His death in the book didn't really affect me, but Catelyn's death had me pretty gutted. I agree about not caring too much about his wife, but I think we are probably the minority.

I'm amazed at how many chicks are into the show, btw.

Just watched the episode. Amazing, completely sensational, but amazing. I love how you just wouldn't expect it. I was somewhat expecting something to happen because there were a lot of tension right from the moment they entered the castle, and a few clues were given during the minutes previous to the final scene.

Still pulling for Arya above all the rest... the Starks are getting their fuckin asses handed to them over and over again though... ridiculous.

Seems like a matter of time till that blonde and her dragons cross that sea to lay down a pretty total asswhoopin though.

I have not read the book, but my guess would be there are some surprised to be expected about her. It seems too straightforward and too easy if she wins with her well trained of ex-slaves, she will certainly have bad surprised, or someone is gonna stab her in the back or something of that fashion !

I have not read the book, but my guess would be there are some surprised to be expected about her. It seems too straightforward and too easy if she wins with her well trained of ex-slaves, she will certainly have bad surprised, or someone is gonna stab her in the back or something of that fashion !

Yes, that is the beauty of the books, it's next to impossible to predict what will happen most of the time.

As has been noted, Robb was not a POV character in the books, as a matter of fact the writers thought Richard Madden (the actor playing Robb) brought so much to the role that they wrote much more screen time for him than originally planned. They took quite a few scenes from the book that were hinted at, or only expressed in others conversations about Robb, and made scenes from them for him in the show.

SPOILER ALERT (if yo have not seen the episode)

Last edited by a moderator:
For the third time. Martin is only a Tolkien ripoff in regards to his namesake.

I still feel as though I'm missing something in your commentary.

Is it simply that he goes by George "R. R." Martin with the two R's used in his name?

If so it would seem to be coincidental as he does have two middle names and authors in many cases use their first initials and/or middle initial(s) or middle names (or both) in their credits to ensure they are differentiated from other authors that may either share a name or have similar names - mostly for legal reasons.

It also seems to be overly prevalent in sci-fi and fantasy in particular - as in:

Arthur C. Clarke
Robert A. Heinlein
Stephen R. Donaldson
R. A. Salvatore
V. C. Andrews

But truth be told it's all over the place in all forms of writing - even TV and movies.

Also it should be noted that many women authors have chosen to use initials so as to avoid the initial bias that unfortunately may exist from some with certain genres of writing.

Nothing strange here at all - more of a common practice if anything.

I explained pretty clearly that I know his actual initials are GRRM, and I am well aware of how authors use initials in their writings.

I'm also pretty convinced that nobody on earth (let alone a high-fantasy author) goes by "Joe R. R. Schmoe" without knowing that it will harken back to Tolkien whenever read. He's doing it on purpose.

Maybe he would have gone by George Martin if there wasn't another already famous one? No need to explain yourself, Jeff. It exists, so you'll complain about it. It's part of your charm, no harm there.

Too bad he has that second "R" and not an "I" for a name... like Isaac or some shit... then he could be George R I Martin... or fucking GRIM...... that's some legit shit right there.