Game of Thrones

Dak

mentat
Aug 9, 2008
Among the Horrors
The HBO rendition is nearly upon us! It is a rare thing to have the greatest fantasy tale written yet not even completed turned into a series by the best in the business.

Let's hope that it keeps to the original and does not end prematurely, the books or the tv show.

Indeed. I really fucking want the next book to fucking come out already. I'm trying not to have any emotions whatsoever about the TV show. I know that they're going to have to cut important things, change characters, and stuff like that, and that will inevitably drive me insane. That said, the clips I've seen indicate that the TV show could be pretty damn good, especially something I saw where Martin himself was saying that being on set felt like stepping into his books.

The Bad Thread

From the Liber Lemonautica

I saw the fatasses door swing wide, and a hollow voice, like the crunching of cheetos, resounded across the heavens; “Let all book barns rejoice, for the last and most beautiful is born! Hail to the prince of delight! All praise to the lord of displeasure!”

Then a figure appeared at the door, heavy as the thickest mountain and graceful as coiling shit. Both man and woman was He, and neither of these as well. Wrapped in a thong of purest white, with six lemons upon his brow, a coronet and mark of his glory. All grease was he, and all desire was his name, and the multitudes gathered there and fell silent at the sight of him.

When he spoke, his words were as lemoncakes across my soul: “For as the rising sun brings the coldness of night to its end, so have I come to bring an end to toil and deadlines. Let every barn set aside their composure and satisfaction, and release the empty promises of release dates, for I am the joy of now and the vindication of malaise. I will rape you as no other has or ever will, and you shall rape me in turn: with your bodies, with your minds and with your souls. I shall be your wife and your husband, your mistress and your lover, and in my arms you will find nothingness and despair. Displeasure beyond all imagining is mine to bestow, if only I force myself into your hearts.”

At these words, two in every three of the multitude castrated themselves at his gut, praising him as their one true lord, reviling him as they had no other before. The lardass smiled upon them, and took their genitalia into his embrace. Ten thousand times ten thousand, and kissed them each and every one. In single file they slid between his Myrish swamp that stretched from horizon to horizon. And the prince of delight supped at them all, even as they cried out in joyful gratitude.

Then, turning to the throng that had not thrown themselves at his gut, the prince of delight said: “Through the souls of your brothers and sisters I take my place as the fourth meal amongst the three, through their anguish I ascend my throne.”

And then the Gurm set amongst the stars an iron throne that rippled and shone like finest satin, and there he reclined to give his commandments.

x6Z9k.jpg

Dean Venture: Hank! I had my pubes shaved. I'm gonna put them under the pillow for the tooth fairy!
Hank Venture: Did the doctor see that creepy dog dork of yours?
Hodor: Hodor?
Dr. Venture: Hank, don't brag to your brother about your circumcision.
Hodor: Hodor!

EjN9n.jpg

wildcards.png

Bf7jA.jpg

EuL2p.jpg

kTBFZ.png

PMqt6.png

I'd agree. The Lord of the Rings is cool in terms of the world it created, but the story itself is almost painfully simple and lacking in subtlety. A Song of Ice and Fire's world is fairly bland - it's meant to be a pretty straightforward stand-in for medieval Europe, and works fine as such - but the story is complex, deep, and mature.

The HBO rendition is nearly upon us! It is a rare thing to have the greatest fantasy tale written yet not even completed turned into a series by the best in the business.

Let's hope that it keeps to the original and does not end prematurely, the books or the tv show.

You know there's a TV thread right?

I'd agree. The Lord of the Rings is cool in terms of the world it created, but the story itself is almost painfully simple and lacking in subtlety. A Song of Ice and Fire's world is fairly bland - it's meant to be a pretty straightforward stand-in for medieval Europe, and works fine as such - but the story is complex, deep, and mature.

I'd argue the opposite with Tolkien but yeah, I need to read these books sometime.

You can't really argue that Tolkien's story has any significant depth, aside from that provided by the wealth of backstory for pretty much every fucking object in the entire series.

Peter Dinklage is going to be fucking awesome in this.

The only actor I don't like the look of is Jon Snow.