Gaming Thread

Please help me you guys.

I'm torn between a Wii, 360, or just a nicer computer.

Zelda on Wii but then after that I don't want a Wii. I've heard mixed reviews about Force Unleashed I could get that on either, I suppose. Fable 2 is coming out on 360. And I never dd finish Shimmering Isles. But is that worth a fourth thourough Oblivion playthrough? I really don't know shit about the PS3.

What to do.

Go for the 360.

The Wii is fun for a while, but the amount of geniunely good games for it is minimal. Upgrading your PC will only ever be temporary as a couple years down the line, you'll just have to upgrade again in order to play the new games.

I gave up console gaming years ago to focus on PC gaming. I budget $50 a month for a new system every 2 years, giving me a $1200 budget to work with. Of course for that price, I could have purchased a Wii, 360, and PS3, with money left over for games and extra peripherals. It really comes down to the fact that the games I want to play are either exclusive to or are much better on the PC platform.

What's the cheapest a 360 goes for with a hard drive these days?

How much would I have to spend minimum if I knew a guy who knows how to build computers to get something at least able to run Oblivion? Dual core is nessesary right? 1000 Ram?

For 500-600 bucks you can get a PC that will run any game in the world right now.

And make coffee!!!!

Depends what you mean by "run" of course. Running a game playably at 1024x768 is not the same as running a game with max settings at 1920x1200. However, I admit that perhaps $200 of the cost of my machines goes into making them inaudible.

I wasn't talking about the entire system, just the PC itself. If you were to spend $600 on just the machine, you would be able to run Crysis, Oblivion, WoW, just about everything. I'm not going to say you can run it at 1600x1200 with 16x antialiasing and all that shit, but it would run and run well.

The monitor is another $250 at least, then you've got speakers and keyboard and mouse...if you want quality components, that's another 200 bucks at least. So all in all, if you spent between $1000-1200, you could get a complete system and run quite well. I spent 1400 euros on mine but I pretty much got everything under the sun. The PC itself only cost about 850 euros and it was loaded.

How much would I have to spend minimum if I knew a guy who knows how to build computers to get something at least able to run Oblivion? Dual core is nessesary right? 1000 Ram?

Look on the dell sight from time to time, on the Sputnik music forums there was a thread about a deal dell had going on that was really good, my comp has a Quad-core processor 6600 4 gigs of ram 500 GB hard drive and even though i bought it seperate a 9600 GT video card and it can run Crysis on almost full graphics flawlessly on 1920x1080.

all for $600

EDIT: minus my excessively large TV/Monitor.

yay tech talk.

You can get a refurbished Xbox 360 for $169.99... a New Xbox Pro w/ 60GB HD will cost $299...an x-box elite with 120GB HD will cost you $399. Since you won't be downloading much i assume, just get a regular 360. (note the refurbished 360's don't have a HD, to bad i don't live down there i have an extra 360 Hard Drive that i don't use...

Now computers...you don't need something high end, like Dead Winter said, $500-$600 with a mid-end Video card and processor, you should be able to run Oblivion.

Oblivion MINIMUM requirements

Windows XP

512MB System RAM

2 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor

128MB Direct 3D compatible video card and DirectX 9.0 compatible driver;

that will be cheap....for realz.

Oblivion is compatible with many ATi chipsets, and ATi has some cheap cards. Like i said you won't need anything great. If you need specifics i can help you out with what you will need.

yeah i dont use the security helmet, makes me look like a damn bug or something. But the katana is cool.

is XBL up yet? i spent all day playing oblivion waiting for XBL to go back online...and now i don't think ill be back on XBL today just because im back having that "Oblivion" phase again where i can't stop playing it...i think most of you know what im talking about.

damn the mages guild and all those bullshit recommendations. but i want MOARRRRRRRR

anyway ill probably be on XBL anyway. I have the next two days off so tyler, swab, heartless (and riverdragon from MSR Cast but she doesn't post here anymore :( Get on and play wif meh.

So THAT'S why I couldn' connect last night.

They were doing a big XBL Update. They said up to 24 hours but i was up till 4am playing oblivion and it was way more then 24 hours. I'm gonna check to see exactly what they are changing.

The TOTALLY changed everything. The look, integrated netflix downloads...download games to your hard drive (which will decrease loading times, this benefits those with the 60GB HD or higher...for me i am screwed till i can get a bigger HD) Marketplace accessable through PC..a new avatar system... players will be able to form parties of up to eight to jump from game to game as well as view Netflix films, share photos, and chat through the Xbox Live dashboard. This community approach will also extend to Xbox Live Primetime, a casual-game portal that features gameshow-like events and contests. The publisher noted that a live host will be on hand for many of the events...adding 16X10 aspect ratio over both VGA and HDMI, as well as implementing 1440x900 and 1680x1050 display resolutions.

im getting this info from a blog at the E3 08 back in July...who knows what else they added and changed.

Cool. Everytime I tried to connect, said my MTU failed during testing, when I know that wasn't a problem.

It would be last on my list, i already know i'm going to spend a fortune on these games already.

Ohh guys what i downloaded yesterday.... a fuckin classic that i use to play a lot at the arcade when i was young.

ss2.jpg