Gear Talk (begginer)

FreakAss

New Metal Member
Dec 9, 2008
hey everyone...
Im here wih some gear questions... Im a begginer...(yah i know that sucks) I have BC Rich Px3t with emg 85/81.. Roland Cube 30x and Boss ME50... but i cant seem to get those thick creamy metal sounding riffs... why is this? can it be that i want too much out of my gear or what...? maybe its just a bad setup? one guy said that i need a valve amp...that would blow my head off or so... But im playn in my 2 bedroom flat and i have neighbours down below... so cant go too loud... is valve amp going to be any good if i cant go too loud?

and another one... My other guitar... BC Rich KKV... the one with bolt on neck... Would dimarzio pickups feel any good in it?

Bass in round 8
Mids 2-1
treble - 7

Im not chasing some band tone or something like that.. cause their gear is damn badass lol anyway ''All That Remains'' would be the sound im after... but how to get anything like that?

yeah it woild be great to play with someone together... just problem is.. theres nobody around ... lol

Turn bass down/Turn Mids up, IMO. 5/6/7. I usually go somewhere around 3/6/10, but thats my own taste.

Your Boss fx should be the one running the show to get the sound you want. Switch that rolland cube to a clean effect, no distortion then setup your boss fx. After you find the right distortion in your fx processor I'm sure there are a hundred ways to tweak them out. Thats just a trail and error thing with you and the fx that can take awhile to get just right. After it sounds pretty good then go back to the cube and play with the bass, mids and treble.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but you're trying to get a small practice amp to sound like a cranked up valve head sitting on top of a 4x12 cabinet in a professional studio tweaked by a professional sound engineer. You're just not going to be able to get the tone you're after with the gear you have. If you follow the advice the other guys gave you should be able to get a more satisfying tone. And please, add some mids to your amp. You may think your amp sounds better with hardly any mids but you'll change your mind when you actually play with a band. Scooped sounds tend to get swallowed up by the bass guitar and the cymbals on the drum kit. Once again, not trying to crush your dreams but it's the truth.

Roland Cube 30x and Boss ME50...

First of all the ME-50 is pretty limited in the disortion area. Your going to really struggle to get some great metal tones out of it. One thing you should try, is plugging your guitar straight into the Cube and try tweaking the distortion on that and see if you can get any better sounds than the ME-50 can. And if thats the case, try using the Screamer option on the ME-50 as a boost to improve the tone and give more gain etc on the Cube.

Personally, your asking for too much from your gear and id ditch the ME-50 and go for maybe a LINE6 Pod, either the XT or X3 would be fine, whether it be the Live or not is also a matter of choice. That will at least give you access to the more "Metal" amps such as Mesa and Peavey to help you get a more creamy sound.

(Note I personally own an ME-50, and its great for everything except the distortion i feel).

Regards
Jason.

And as others said, More mids does help, but remember, if you like your sound scooped, keep it that way. There is no wrong way of creating a sound, whatever sounds better to your ears is what you should keep.