[geek]nerd[/geek]

Malaclypse

Oct 18, 2001
i know you are out there, dangling from the cables of your computer(s), coding freaky stuff, of whatever. i couldn't find the old coding/geek thread, so why not make a new one.
my geek story today: i tried to reduce twiddling on my comps, so when i set up this comp w/ linux, i decided to only get 1 thing done per day. today, i got the multimedia keys on my keyboard working :) i am so 1337! w00t!

Slightly off-topic: VC, or anyone else, can you give me some links to find out how Linux works? It would be very useful to me, I'm planning on installing it, learning its ins and outs as an extra advantage in my Net crime module :)

installing it is the best thing to learn. at first you'll have hassles with everything you want to do, and have to lookup every single thing on the net. so at first i would recommend an easy-to-install distribution such as suse/mandrake/fedora. after that, you probably need www.google.co.uk a lot :) another good place to search/ask questions would be www.linuxquestions.org, for beginners.
the problem with most programs is actually that you don't know that they exist, or so i found.
if you want to choose and download a distribution, check out www.linuxiso.org, they have quite a big list downloadable for free, plus a small description for each. if you want to get into details, there's www.distrowatch.com.
generally, you could at first download the knoppix distribution from the location above; it fits onto a single cd and is fully bootable, meaning you don't have to install anything. if your hardware isn't all too fancy, you can try it out a bit without getting your hands dirty. and if you have more questions, you know where to find me ;)

btw, choosing a distribution seems to be a little random at first, but it tends to lead to an elemental choice once you learn something about the whole stuff. there's commercial distros, free distros, old, new, stable, unstable, fancy, plain... i guess you could argue endlessly about a distro choice, mine for instance is arch linux (yes arch, your linux ;)).
and that wasn't even off-topic, geeks like to talk about things like that :)

yeah, if they know what they are doing they will probably have an edge on (above)? windows users, though you could do many stuff with win as well. but you are right, linux is easier to customize, especially in terms of security.

DeepInMisery said:
you're not planning on hacking NASA by any chance are you ? :p ;)
:lol: Nah, like I said, I'm studying Internet crime as part of my law course, and this is the area I want to work in when I graduate, and so I figured I would have better chances in the field, and would understand better if I had a better working knowledge of Linux. And lo and behold, a geek thread appears on the forum. My lucky day :D

Speaking of geeks/nerds, I don't suppose anyone feels like writing a C++ program for me by Sunday, do they??

heh, depends on what you need, since i am trying to learn a bit more of c++ and i actually could need a task :)

To be honest, I'm not even sure what's needed. He's so incredibly vague it would be funny if it wasn't reasonably important. Although it's really my fault for not really bothering with uni for the past 4 months. But I'm going to blame him all the same. And also I'm going to not bother handing anything in and trying to make it up in the other assignment and exam.

9.2 is shite. didn't even install on my comp, which is quite generic. 9.0 was good though...

which reminds me of SuSE. that's a pretty welldone distro right there. did you ever run it? to me, such dists are cool, but uncomfortable to work with, lots of gui stuff and customized setups, so it's not the easiest thing to configure them by hand. pros and cons anyone?