[geek]nerd[/geek]

Rusty said:
Even so, the penguin on Soul's pic doesn't look like a penguin which has stopped moving. :p I'm still a suspicious bastard.
i'll know when my damned penguin has stopped. :bah:
*proofreads "war and peace" for typos while the penguin still goes*

Here, we see a fully legitimate penguin-stoppage:
legit-penga.JPG

Compare with Sole's fully illegitimate and shameless mockery of such an event:
penguin.jpg

As far as I see it,
penguin.jpg
!=
legit-penga.JPG

:p

back to the topic of easy-install-distros. while they surely are not widely used by advanced users, they surely deserve their place among all the others, just because a newbie can install it without much of a hassle. he will surely fuck up the hd partition once or twice even though there are tools for that. give a n00b a copy of debian and he will get plainly frustrated with it, if he doesn't have someone beside him 24/7 holding hands and telling him what to do next. i started with debian too early, i think, and i had loads of trouble during the install (due to lack of knowledge, i admit). And everyone has to admit that the installer is hell of a crap and the packages found on the .iso's are totally outdated (KDE2? wtf?). got back to suse for a while (before was mandrake) but got annoyed with that stupid packet manager. right now i'm happy with arch, since it works like debian, has a rather simple installation process, can use both source and compiled packages in its packet manager, and above all, is very up to date. but if i had to install it when i began with linux, i probably wouldn't have gotten anywhere. compiling kernels, installing xfree manually, all that stuff is a bit too much for a newbie to linux, except if he has a few weeks off.

EDIT: i forgot the most important thing: http://www.alpha-tierchen.de/pinguin/pinguin_blutig.html

i confess, my start with linux was with redhat 5.0 :cry: i learned most of the basic stuff on that, and rh wasn't as bloated as it is these days. debian is outdated yes, so it's not the cutting edge. but for your average tasks and if you're capable of spiffing it up, it's a pretty neat base.

[geek-warning]i love my new mice (logitech mx500)[/geek-warning]

I installed Mandrake 10.0 community last night without any problems. I recommend downloading it (or buying it) and giving it a try.

Hmm, I think I should give Arch another try (the distro, lets not get into the
"happy" thing here too ;) ) *sigh* yet another installation process to learn,
but both Debian and Slackware are a bit too out of date for my liking.

It's funny, I can't remember much anything from the times I used Unix back
in the day, can't even remember Emacs anymore :eek: but it's been um 8 years
I guess, so I think that might explain some of it.

DeepInMisery said:
oh, btw *promote* there is a tech forum on UM now. anyone knows a good program to check what codec an mpeg is encoded with? i'm not running linux right know :bah:
gspot

VultureCulture said:
try it, it's the bast distro i used so far.

Holy crap, Arch 0.6 comes with Linux 2.6.3 right off the bat?
It's the first distro that I could think of using that does that :eek:
I am downloading it now btw, any good installation instructions
anywhere?