Genre Anthems

Death Metal - Death Metal by Possessed
Black Metal - Black Metal
Grindcore - You Suffer
Thrash Metal - Angel of Death
Power Metal - I can't think of a good one
Doom Metal - Black Sabbath

I know mine are so creative right?

"Black metal" isn't even a black metal song.

Death Metal- Pull the Plug by Death
Black Metal- Transilvanian Hunger by Darkthrone
Thrash Metal- Angel of Death by Slayer
Doom Metal- Into the Void by Black Sabbath
Goth Metal- Venus by Theatre of Tragedy
Viking Metal- Baptized in Fire and Ice by Bathory

Death Metal - Chapel Of Ghouls (And about 1000 other songs before Hammer Smashed Face)
1st Wave Black Metal - Enter The Eternal Fire
2nd Wave Black Metal - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Thrash Metal - Angel Of Death
All Of Metal - A Fine Day To Die

And Viking Metal isn't a genre.

Something like that, I guess.

Death Metal - Chapel Of Ghouls (And about 1000 other songs before Hammer Smashed Face)

Really? Did the International Genre Committee reject its application?

https://rateyourmusic.com/genre/Viking+Metal/

This definition works for me.

Viking metal is a subgenre of metal music with roots in Blood Fire Death and Hammerheart albums by Bathory. Those releases created a clean transition from earlier Black Metal music to embody what is now known as Viking metal. Some of the most common features of Viking metal are powerful, clean vocals and "epic" choirs, galloping riffs and drumming, rich anthemic keyboards, the use of Nordic Folk Music instruments such as fiddles, flutes, and blowing horns; as well as a cold, sad atmosphere. Additionally, bands often incorporate black metal shrieks and blast-beats. Also, as the name suggests, the lyrical content of the music is often focused on Norse mythology and the Viking Age.

Aside from the previously mentioned forefather of the genre, Bathory, other notable acts include Moonsorrow, Falkenbach, Thyrfing, and Borknagar (early albums).

I'm inclined to agree with this list as well as the "Viking Metal isn't a genre."

Power Metal: Blind Guardian - "Valhalla"
Heavy Metal: Judas Priest - "Victim of Changes"

Yeah it is. Why's it called Black Metal then huh? And what the fuck is goth metal anyway?

Just because the song and album is called "black metal" doesn't mean the music is actually black metal. Speed metal with Satanic lyrics=/=black metal. By that standard a lot of Slayer's music is black metal too :Smug:

And goth metal is a mix of doom metal and goth rock.

[youtube]DLaxRhpcRtk&list=PLDF240FFC8F2586F1&index=3[/youtube]

Last edited by a moderator:
Just because the song and album is called "black metal" doesn't mean the music is actually black metal. Speed metal with Satanic lyrics=/=black metal. By that standard a lot of Slayer's music is black metal too :Smug:

Yeah except I never said satanic lyrics=black metal. The song obviously had an enormous influence on the genre as we know it today. Just because it doesn't sound like Darkthrone or Burzum doesn't mean it's not bm either. Besides the point of this thread is to determine a given genre's anthem. I didn't see any rules that said the song had to be strictly from the genre it's honoring. So :Smug: to you sir. I still say Black Metal is the appropriate song for the genre of the same name.

I'd say Venom had more of an influence on the image of Black Metal, than it did on the actual music.

Of course it doesn't have to sound like Darkthrone or Burzum, but it can't sound exactly like an entirely different genre either, which it does.