first band you got into?

Power Metal: Never really been into it but I liked some songs by Dragonforce (formerly known as Drangonheart...damn power metal bands with cheesy names :p )
Death Metal: Morbid Angel
Melo-Death: Dark Tranquility
Nu-metal: I was able to listen to an entire KoRn song once...does that make me into Nu-metal...don't think so. :D
Black Metal: Emperor
Grindcore: Nasum (I'm not a big fan of grindcore though)
Thrash: Slayer
Viking Metal: Enslaved

thrash - Metallica (actually the first metal band I ever got into in general)
death metal - Entombed (this was back when they actually were death metal)
melodeath - At The Gates
black metal - Darkthrone
doom metal - Paradise Lost
gothic metal - Lacuna Coil
grind - Napalm Death
power metal - Helloween

Im surprised how many of you got into the underground heavy stuff so fast. The first metal i ever heard was Ac Dc, and then I heard Ozzy. Both bands were always on the radio etc, and well known. Without the internet, one couldnt just discover all these bands unless one had some serious hardocre fan friends.

speed said:
Im surprised how many of you got into the underground heavy stuff so fast. The first metal i ever heard was Ac Dc, and then I heard Ozzy. Both bands were always on the radio etc, and well known. Without the internet, one couldnt just discover all these bands unless one had some serious hardocre fan friends.

I heard Naglfar many years ago without the internet and without friends introducing me to them.

I guess some of us just kick ass.

Trash: Metallica (also first band)
Black: Dimmu borgir
Power metal:Hammerfall
Viking metal: Bathory
Melo-death: Dissection(or are they black ??)
Doom: Candlemass
Avantgarde: Arcturus

My point is I didnt have the internet until i guess 5 years ago- and I am 24 about to be 25, so when I was a impressionable 16 year old, the best I could do, was to listen to metallica, megadeth, or Ozzy, as they were well known and on the radio( Americans in the 90's had really almost no metal scene, and with no internet, metal was hard to find). I always wondered ad asked people, what bands are heavier, and then I was introduced to Slayer, and my musical tastes changed quite dramatically.

The first band I ever got into was Silverchair but if you're talking about first metal band, then the first metal band I got into was Metallica and I just started listening to metal (in general) from there.

thecrimsonchin said:
Your a moron. Dying Fetus is the fucking embodiment of good grindcore.
*stunned* o_O

No, they aren't. They are not grindcore. Plain and simple. If you call DF the "embodiment of good grindcore" then you obviously know absolutely nothing about the genre. It's like me saying that Cradle of Filth are an awesome death metal band - sure, there might be a death metal-ish riff and a growl here and there but that doesn't make it death metal.

So who else are your favourite "grind" bands? Cannibal Corpse? Nile? Dimmu Borgir?

Have you even heard "Scum"?

Yeah, whatever. I don't see how anyone could NOT consider them grindcore, but to prove I'm not alone-I just looked them up on all music guide and it goes on about how they created their own unique brand of grindcore yadda yadda, and labels them as such more then once in the album reviews as well.

What is all music guide? Look them up on Metal Archives and it will list them as death metal. Grindcore generally has much shorter songs (usually under two minutes), mostly simple tremelo picked riffs over near constant blastbeats, and very raw production. That does not describe Dying Fetus.

I too would consider Dying Fetus grind, but that's just me.

I find it funny how people call both Napalm Death and Circle of Dead Children grindcore when they clearly sound worlds apart.