Sep 20, 2003
New Hampshire
firec0re.net
from each genre

Power Metal: Hammerfall
Death Metal: Nile
Melo-Death: Opeth
Nu-metal: KoRn
Black Metal: Covenant(now the kovenant, the gay experimental band)
Grindcore: Napalm Death
Thrash: Megadeth or Slayer

Power Metal: Death...I think.
Death Metal: Entombed
Melo-Death: In Flames
Black Metal: Emperor
Grindcore: Dying Fetus
Thrash: Slayer

I like this thread.

ShadowOfDeath said:
Nice bands.

I thought Death was a Death Metal band :oops:

Yeah, actually Korn and In Flames were what got me into metal, and then I found the others as I began to get more immersed in the genre. Most people aren't lucky enough to have Emperor be their first black metal band, or Death their first power metal, but I didn't start listening to either scene until I heard all sorts of great things about those particular bands. Actually, cradle of filth was probably my first black metal band but I only listened to a couple minutes at a friends and was turned off. And then I was enlightened...

You have a nice list yourself.

I used to live a sad life where i risked bands by hearing their name, grabbing their album and listening to it. Usually i was satisfied, a few times it was lame trash, Like Purge D.I. - Grounded....gets boring after a while, or Foo Fighters, who just plain suck IMO.

Luckily i heard names like Nile and Opeth pop up and found this site, which gave me a lot of good music

KoRn, slipknot, Disturbed, and a few other bands were the first i ever got into myself.

And yes Emperor is an amazing band, one of the best in black metal, i would've enjoyed them as my first...or Dimmu Borgir at least...but Covenant(the kovenant) - In times before the light was a good album nonetheless, they should've stuck with black metal though, S.E.T.I. was a piece of horse shit.

thecrimsonchin said:
Yeah, actually Korn and In Flames were what got me into metal, and then I found the others as I began to get more immersed in the genre. Most people aren't lucky enough to have Emperor be their first black metal band, or Death their first power metal, but I didn't start listening to either scene until I heard all sorts of great things about those particular bands. Actually, cradle of filth was probably my first black metal band but I only listened to a couple minutes at a friends and was turned off. And then I was enlightened...

You have a nice list yourself.

Hmmm, don't have time to post my list at the moment... but Death is not a power metal band, man... just thought i'd throw that out there

Destroyer Of Orden said:
Hmmm, don't have time to post my list at the moment... but Death is not a power metal band, man... just thought i'd throw that out there

Alrighty, then. I don't like power metal, but I thought Death was similar enough in style that they might be. I guess my first power metal band was nevermore then, since they hail from my city.

Power Metal:None
Death Metal:Nile
Melodic Death:Opeth
Nu metal:Korn
Black Metal:Emperor
Grindcore:Napalm Death
Thrash: Metallica (but do they really count?)
Doom Metal:My Dying Bride
Funeral Doom:Shape of Despair
Gothic Metal:Tristania

Power Metal: None. Hate it.
Death Metal: Deicide
Death/grind: Malignancy
Melo-Death: None. Hate it.
Nu-metal: None. Hate it.
Black Metal: Abigor
Grindcore: Carcass
Thrash: Testament. One of the only thrash bands I actually like.
Doom Metal: October Tide (they're doomish)
Viking Metal: Månegarm

Hardcore: Biohazard
Heavy Metal: Black Sabbath
Death Metal: Cannibal Corpse and Obituary
Metalcore: Lamb Of God
Nu-metal: Korn (yes, I am ashamed)
Sludgecore: Crowbar
Thrash Metal: Sepultura

Good idea for a thread. For me what I find is that I love bands that I start off with in a genre and I dont get sick of them.

MURAI said:
Hardcore: Biohazard
Heavy Metal: Black Sabbath
Death Metal: Cannibal Corpse and Obituary
Metalcore: Lamb Of God
Nu-metal: Korn (yes, I am ashamed)
Sludgecore: Crowbar
Thrash Metal: Sepultura

Good idea for a thread. For me what I find is that I love bands that I start off with in a genre and I dont get sick of them.

Don't be ashamed of Korn, once upon a time we all liked them and if anyone has ever had the slightest interest in nu-metal obviously korn was probably their first.

Power Metal: Nevermore
Death Metal: Cannibal Corpse
Melo-Death: Soilwork
Grindcore: Circle of Dead Children
Thrash: Slayer

Death: Morbid Angel
Black: Either Immortal or Emperor...too far back to remember
Thrash: Metallica
Folk: Finntroll
Viking: Bathory
Melo Death: Either In Flames or Hypocrisy
Melo Black: Naglfar
Doom: Empyrium (If they count as doom)
Power: Blind Guardian

Power: Blind Guardian.

Are they power metal? I like that singers voice-and I listened to them way before nevermore. Hmmm, my lack of interest in the power metal vein is starting to make me feel ignorant.

Even though Blind Guardian are also frequently considered speed metal, the fact that you thought ANY Death was power metal kinda makes me think you're not wrong in feeling a little ignorant, hehe.

Power Metal: hammerfall
Death Metal: Obituary
Black Metal: Marduk
Thrash: Sepultura

Power Metal - probably Helloween
Death - Death or Morbid Angel (Where The Slime Live :headbang: )
Black - Dimmu
Thrash - Metallica and Slayer
Nu-Metal - i hate it
Melo-Death - In Flames
Grind - Hate It
Doom - .....ummmm.....Candlemass

Power Metal: Hammerfall was the first I ever heard. I didn't like to have my ears tortured.
Death Metal: Death
Melo-Death: Amon Amarth/Dissection
Nu-metal: ....
Black Metal: Darkthrone/Emperor/Ancient Rites
Grindcore: Carcass
Thrash: Sodom

Power Metal: I'm not into it.
Death Metal: Deicide
Nu-metal: Mudvayne
Grindcore: not really into it