Pink Floyd

First Metal Bands.

Megadeth
Metallica
Exodus
Death Angel
Slayer

Life Sucks said:
Opeth is not death metal. And I would say that Primordial are more folk metal than anything; they are a great band though.
both bands are not typical for their respective genre...but the main part of Opeth's music is death metal, and as for Primordial, listen to the first song of their latest album or Imrama, their debut.

Nu-Metal: KoRn
Doom Metal: Agalloch (If they count. I don't really consider them Doom Metal though.)
Grindcore: Nasum
Progressive Metal: Opeth (If they count.)
Metalcore/Emocore: From Autumn To Ahses (...or whatever you want to call them.)

I think that's about it.

Thrash Metal: Metallica ("Ride The Lightning") - if that doesn´t count as thrash, it´s Anthrax ("Spreading The Disease")
Speed Metal: Helloween ("Walls Of Jericho")/Agent Steel ("Skeptics Apocalypse")
Doom Metal: Candlemass ("Epicus Doomicus Metallicus")
Progressive Metal: Fates Warning ("The Spectre Within")
Death Metal: Death ("Leprosy" - actually the only death metal album I still listen to)
Gothic Metal: The Third And The Mortal ("Sorrow")
Power Metal: Vicious Rumors ("Soldiers Of The Night")

Worm-Infested Intestinal Tract said:
OK, but you're wrong.
A rare death metal riff accompanied with growls, situated in between several cleanly sang prog-rock acoustic passages, and quite a few gothenburg riffs, does not make a band death metal. They aren't even death metal on the most basic aesthetic level.

Death Metal: Morbid Angel
Black Metal : Emperor
Grindcore: Carcass
Melodic Death Metal: Dark Tranquitly
Doom Metal: Shape of Dispair
Power Metal: Iced Earth
Viking Metal: Moonsorrow
Thrash: testament

thecrimsonchin said:
Yeah, whatever. I don't see how anyone could NOT consider them grindcore, but to prove I'm not alone-I just looked them up on all music guide and it goes on about how they created their own unique brand of grindcore yadda yadda, and labels them as such more then once in the album reviews as well.
AMG mixes Death Metal and Black Metal together...that doesn't really help much with a reputation as a reliable source.

ShadowOfDeath said:
AMG mixes Death Metal and Black Metal together...that doesn't really help much with a reputation as a reliable source.

Man, whatever-I give up. If I'm the only one here who thinks df are even somewhat grind then I'm obviously wrong. To me they bear way too many similarities to not be considered so, but if I argue this further my credibility will be gone completely(as if I haven't lost most of it already)

And to the guy who said I know dick about death metal-your probably right! I've only been listening to metal for like three years, and I just heard death for the first time a couple months ago. I don't even own any of their cds yet. So shoot me. I obviously realize the sheer stupidity in calling them a power metal band after a bit of research, but could you fucking drop it? Most of my cd collection is comprised of death metal, but I haven't exactly done extensive research on the genre. I just know what I like and what I don't. We all make mistakes yknow.

Life Sucks said:
AC DC aren't metal, that's like calling Suck Zeppelin metal. They are cock rock.

Suck Zeppelin? Are you serious? You're a huge dickweed! :tickled:

Anyway, Queen started it all for me (yes, TOTALLY aware they R ENT METTLE!!1). First recording I ever bought was the greatest hits album. I then dabbled in some mediocre readio rock for a bit until metal took over...

Thrash: Metallica
Heavy/Metal in General: Iron Maiden
Death/Black: Old Man's Child
Melodic Death and Power Metal: Children of Bodom and Blind Guardian

And thank hell for that. My salvation from the mall skater/hip hop/pop punk generation.

Death: Cannibal Corpse
Heavy: Iron Maiden
Power: Stratovarius
Thrash: Metallica or Slayer, I don't remember.
Black: Dimmu Borgir (Don't like them that much anymore)
Rock: Rolling Stones

Alex78 said:
both bands are not typical for their respective genre...but the main part of Opeth's music is death metal, and as for Primordial, listen to the first song of their latest album or Imrama, their debut.
The Heretics Age is indeed a black metal song, but many of the other songs, such as Fallen to Ruin and Cast to the Pyre, are clearly not black metal. And Imrama does have a lot of black metal songs on it too. Primordial is one of the few bands that has different songs that actually are so different that they can be classified as a different genre. Regardless, Primordial are a great band with many different influences, and few bands can match their atmosphere and originality. I can't wait till Primordial release their new CD sometime this year. As for Opeth being death metal, they have some parts that sound kind of like slow death metal, especially the death growls. But a lot of their songs are 50% acoustic passages with clean vocals. They also never incorporate blastbeats or tremelo picking in their heavy passages, not that these things are prerequisites for qualifying as death metal. Yes, Opeth definitely have a good amount of death metal influence, but I would not classify their music as death metal. I am not trying to argue here, I am merely stating my humble opinion.