Getting that nasty guitar tone

JustinShreds

intuit Studios
Apr 21, 2012
San Diego, CA
So I listen to a ton of Joey's mixes and I've noticed with a lot of the more recent ones (Emmure, Asking Alexandria) the guitars sound very distorted, like the gain/drive was just driven up the wall. Whenever I seem to do this, the image of my mix becomes blurry and cloudy. When Joey does it, everything is crisp and clear and sounds heavy. What am I doing wrong here?

So I listen to a ton of Joey's mixes and I've noticed with a lot of the more recent ones (Emmure, Asking Alexandria) the guitars sound very distorted, like the gain/drive was just driven up the wall. Whenever I seem to do this, the image of my mix becomes blurry and cloudy. When Joey does it, everything is crisp and clear and sounds heavy. What am I doing wrong here?

Honestly I think a lot of it is in the playing, as well as possibly quad tracking. I've noticed a huge difference when i use 4 guitar tracks with the gains relatively low. But i am still struggling to get this sound as well.

Honestly I think a lot of it is in the playing, as well as possibly quad tracking. I've noticed a huge difference when i use 4 guitar tracks with the gains relatively low. But i am still struggling to get this sound as well.

Does he quad track now? I thought it was all double tracked. That must be a quantizing nightmare.

I dont know if he does, but i feel like on some of the higher gain albums, like the new emmure album, theres a chance that he did. those guitars are nasty.

He doesn't quad track anymore. He did that for Relentless, but that's the only album I know of. He stopped quad tracking because it's too much of a hassle and is unnecessary unless trying to achieve a certain sound or layering for a chorus.

He doesn't quad track. And guitars sound are not very distorted. Just not too much drive and gain. Compare it with death metal or like slipknot, that's how guitars sound are very distorted much more than Joey does.

Try some surgical eq at about 4-5k. Really tight bands sucking out harsh frequencies.

Also try using multi and compression to tame those lows and highs and if you're micing a cab you can tame and suck out the low mics to clear everything up.

I'd say try surgical cuts at 3.5 kHz. 4.8 kHz

Try some surgical eq at about 4-5k. Really tight bands sucking out harsh frequencies.

Also try using multi and compression to tame those lows and highs and if you're micing a cab you can tame and suck out the low mics to clear everything up.

I'd say try surgical cuts at 3.5 kHz. 4.8 kHz

I typically use multi-band compression when mastering, and regular compressors on my tracks. I'll have to give that a shot. I used to use barely any distortion but then my guitars were lacking that oomph that is needed. Back to the grind!

Lately I've been listening to a lot of sturgis and chango mixes and I'm noticing that the guitars aren't that powerful by themselves, its the way the kick is mixed that's driving that guitars. During breakdowns the kick makes the guitars sou.d like monsters. And of course bass plays a big role. Joey has said that most people would hate his guitar tone on its own.

honestly ? its the combination of the kick, bass guitar and electric guitars.
I know exactly what you are talking about when saying "nasty guitar tones", the guitars are NOT driven up the wall at all, its just the way that everything sounds combined..
you have to work with that and hopefully you will get there..big tip is to do another distorted bass track and play around with the frequencies of that distorted bass track and let the distortion come through in the mix. and one last thing (and probably the most important thing), TIGHT PLAYING WITH LESS GAIN..PICK HARD AND PALM MUTE RIGHT ! That is your key.
I was trying to achieve a similar sound to what you are talking about with my band, check it out -
http://www.youtube.com/user/AMomentToCapture
The songs are not the final mix, they got much better since than, the final mixes are going to be released in the EP !