Getting the Sunlight Studios tone

Melodeath

Moonbow
Feb 6, 2004
Northern VA
I know not everyone is a fan, but I love the Sunlight Studio-esque guitar tone (Entombed, Dismember, old Hypocrisy, even Bloodbath)

Has anyone here succeeded in getting a similar tone? I've heard rumors about metal zones and boss hm-2 pedals being required, but can anyone clarify or provide any more advice?

Thanks.

they used the hm-2 pedal for sure. I think they linked two of them together. Either that or a metal zone and hm-2 together. I think the amps they used were mostly solid state peavey amps and I also heard (i'm really not sure about this one either) that they turned all knobs on ten. Here is a thread about how the guitars on the first two bloodbath albums were recorded http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...ath-s-nightmares-made-flesh-guitar-sound.html. I too like the sunlight studios guitar sound. Hope this helps.

I'll quote myself from another thread to help in your search :)

Yeah, that's what Dismember uses. I saw them right after they put out Hate Campaign, in this tiny shitty dump here in town. Both guitarist were running JCM 900 heads and cabs with Boss Heavy Metal pedals in front. Everything on the pedals and the heads were DIMED OUT! I swear to fucking shit... EVERYTHING WAS ALL THE WAY UP! It was the craziest shit I've ever seen. I asked David Blomqvist(I think), and he said that that's they way they've ALWAYS done it. Fucking nuts... but that is that Signature Dismember guitar sound.

looks like I was right about everything being dimed. Yeah I was thinking it was either peaveys or marshalls that were used. I want a boss HM-2 pedal but i'm really broke right now.

Thanks a lot for the info guys.

Everything dimed is crazy as shit. I can't imagine the volume

I wonder if the HM-2 sim on boss multi-fx like the gt-8 would suffice?

when achieving a buzz saw distortion sound, subtleties in the sounds don`t make too much of a difference, so i would not limit the possibilities to a boss hm pedal. any type of buzzy distortion box should suffice. you may create a new buzz saw tone

yeah, and I'm not even sure if other Sunlight bands like Entombed even used the HM2... so there is that to consider as well.

I think dismember has the best one i've heard so far. At the Gates had a great tone too on their slaughter of the Soul album even though it wasn't made in sunlight studios, they used a boss metal zone and a hm-2 chained together into a peavey solid state amp with a custom made cab.

At the Gates ... used a boss metal zone and a hm-2 chained together...

what's your source for this? The liner notes in the re-issue a couple years back said both pedals were used, but IIRC didn't say they were chained. The sound on the SotS CD is different between the left- and right-panned guitars, (right side more aggressive and treble-y) I'd always assumed they used a different pedal each side for that effect.

I've read the liner notes in the Left Hand Path reissue, don't have the disk but IIRC it said they used a Metal Zone and a Heavy Metal pedal (didn't say if they were chained or used on different tracks), and the amp used was a small Peavey, about 30 watts - with all the dials maxed. I'd guess Dismember picked up that habit from there when they went to record with Skogsberg.

As far as diming the tone contols goes, in a passive tonestack maxing out the BMT knobs really just minimizes the mid-scoop from the tonestack and increases the level out of the tone circuit. In real terms this mainly means that the tone-shaping is more affected by the pedal eq and the presence in the amp, and less by the tone circuit.

what's your source for this? The liner notes in the re-issue a couple years back said both pedals were used, but IIRC didn't say they were chained. The sound on the SotS CD is different between the left- and right-panned guitars, (right side more aggressive and treble-y) I'd always assumed they used a different pedal each side for that effect.

I've read the liner notes in the Left Hand Path reissue, don't have the disk but IIRC it said they used a Metal Zone and a Heavy Metal pedal (didn't say if they were chained or used on different tracks), and the amp used was a small Peavey, about 30 watts - with all the dials maxed. I'd guess Dismember picked up that habit from there when they went to record with Skogsberg.

Anders told me that.

I believe Tomas told that on the Making of DVD, they used a different pedal for both channels to change to tone a bit, or something like that is what he said.

Edit:
Nope, they only speak about Peavey Supreme 160, the home made cab with 2x12" and 2x10" speakers with broken speakers and a Metal Zone.

Sunlight sound: Boss HM-2 dimed with peavey bandit. later with other amps.