the Sunlight Stuios tone

Jan 14, 2003
Pennsylvania, USA
Visit site
I'm still obsessed with the old Sunlight guitar tone. Those buzzsaw guitars on Clandestine kill me everytime. Anyway, I started playing again recently, but the only amp I have is an old Peavey Supreme halfstack. I'm still kicking myself for not buying a blockletter 5150 head (which was on sale, new, for $550 at time I bought this peice of junk).

Anyway, from what I've gathered (mostly from a post-Neonism interview with Solefald), the Sunlight sound was kind of a studio trick. It was just an old Peavey Bandit practice amp, thrown in a wooden box filled with styrofoam peanuts, and a mic. Then they would link two distortion pedals together to get that mechanical sound.

Since a Supreme is just a glorified Bandit, I'm gonna give this a go. Any recommendations on a couple of stompboxes? I figure it would be best to get one actual distortion pedal, and an overdrive pedal (like pairing a Metalzone with a Tubescreamer).

I figure I'll end up spending more than I should, as I'll need a noise gate and an eq to sort through the mess, and I'd be better off just saving a little more for a XXX or something, but what the hell.

another thing you can do with a peavey supreme is put a metal zone through it and get the "slaughter of the soul" sound because that's the setup they used for that