Getting the Sunlight Studios tone

what's your source for this? The liner notes in the re-issue a couple years back said both pedals were used, but IIRC didn't say they were chained. The sound on the SotS CD is different between the left- and right-panned guitars, (right side more aggressive and treble-y) I'd always assumed they used a different pedal each side for that effect.

I think the difference more depends on the difference between the two guitarists playing. Anders is one hell of a rhythm player!

I personally love the tone on Amorphis' Tales From the Thousand Lakes and Elegy albums.

The snare on TFTTL is propably my all time favourite and I love the guitar tone.

See, what gets me is the Wacken Carnage DVD, same buzzy tone, but they've got 5150's on stage, and that's just so wrong lol. Having a 5150, and then dialling it in for buzzsaw tone. I think Bloodbath would kick even more ass with a nice thick tone.

See, what gets me is the Wacken Carnage DVD, same buzzy tone, but they've got 5150's on stage, and that's just so wrong lol. Having a 5150, and then dialling it in for buzzsaw tone. I think Bloodbath would kick even more ass with a nice thick tone.

The whole idea of Bloodbath is that they are a "tribute" of sorts to bands like Entombed, Dismember, Grave, etc. That "buzzsaw" guitar tone, as you guys are calling it, helps them pay that tribute and get their point across.

BTW... I think Dismember may have been the only one's who Dimed-out the heads and tracked with tube amps as well. When you listen to something like "Indecent And Obscene" and compare it with the guitar tone on the likes of "Clandestine", the Dismember guitar tone is much more wide-open and raw. I think it gives them a much more "signature" sound, whereas the Entombed sound is more controlled, though not in any traditional sense. It has a lot of the same qualities, but is not as "in your face" as Dismember. That may be why I always liked Dismember just a little bit more.

Hmm, I can't dial in that tone on my 5150.

Well I'm not saying they definitely used those heads, but they are on the stage, and I don't think there was any other amps showing. I'll check again when I get some time at home.

They, as always, used Boss HM2's at Wacken. You have to have that pedal to get the Sunlight or Unisound guitar tone. Period.

That would be one way... but TBH, there are tons of ways to run that HM-2, even just using it for tone shaping in the FX Loop... you never know.

OK, if anyone's still curious.

The "Left Hand Path" guitar sound was created with the following equipment.

Ibanez X-series with EMG pickups. Peavey Studio pro 40w combo.
Uffe Cederlund recorded three separate rythm guitars for every song (Alex Hellid did not play ANY rythm on the albums up until "To Ride...").
Two guitars use the HM2 basically all on 10 (the last dial, "Distortion" might have been a bit lower) with one guitar panned full right and one panned full left. Then the third guitar track uses a Boss Distortion (DS1) instead and is centered.
The Peavey amp later broke so from Clandestine forward a bandit was used.

This perticular tone was NOT created by Dismember (in fact, they didn't really sound like that until "Like an Everflowing Stream", but by Leffe Cuzner of Nihilist (Entombed pre name change). He was the first to discover the extreme uses of the HM2, later adopted by Uffe. Also producer Skogsbergs had a lot to do with how those early records sounded. A lot of noise gates and compressors (yeah, we're talking real racks here).

Everyone knows that the HM-2 is that way to go, but I would also like to say some praises for the MetalZone as well. Got one just for kicks to run through my old SS combo amp for practice, and was very suprised at how much it sounded like alot of classic Swedish DM. The MT-2 being key to some of the earlier Studio Fredman tones, like for instance 'The Jesters Race' (which I today discovered has a brutal rythm tone! Just check out 'Dead God In Me') and 'Slaughter Of The Soul'.

OK, if anyone's still curious.

The "Left Hand Path" guitar sound was created with the following equipment.

Ibanez X-series with EMG pickups. Peavey Studio pro 40w combo.
Uffe Cederlund recorded three separate rythm guitars for every song (Alex Hellid did not play ANY rythm on the albums up until "To Ride...").
Two guitars use the HM2 basically all on 10 (the last dial, "Distortion" might have been a bit lower) with one guitar panned full right and one panned full left. Then the third guitar track uses a Boss Distortion (DS1) instead and is centered.
The Peavey amp later broke so from Clandestine forward a bandit was used.

This perticular tone was NOT created by Dismember (in fact, they didn't really sound like that until "Like an Everflowing Stream", but by Leffe Cuzner of Nihilist (Entombed pre name change). He was the first to discover the extreme uses of the HM2, later adopted by Uffe. Also producer Skogsbergs had a lot to do with how those early records sounded. A lot of noise gates and compressors (yeah, we're talking real racks here).
Is that just your username, or are you really Orvar Säfström? Thanks for posting!

Everyone knows that the HM-2 is that way to go, but I would also like to say some praises for the MetalZone as well. Got one just for kicks to run through my old SS combo amp for practice, and was very suprised at how much it sounded like alot of classic Swedish DM. The MT-2 being key to some of the earlier Studio Fredman tones, like for instance 'The Jesters Race' (which I today discovered has a brutal rythm tone! Just check out 'Dead God In Me') and 'Slaughter Of The Soul'.
The MT-2 was used on The Jester Race?

i use the pedal in Amplitube metal to get the nasty RTC Bloodbath type sound
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mvfikly5mzh

28hehs8.gif

One of my former bands recorded a demo in sunlight ages ago and I asked the technician about the sound in the studio. He said that alot of the overall sound came from the mixerboard that apparently had some kind of defect. They had it repaired at one time but when they brought it back it didnt sound like sunlight anymore so they sent it back again so they could make it defect again. :loco: I dont now if its true or if he was just pulling my leg but it could be possible. I remember we used some BOSS distortion pedal into a old peavey 30 watter.

Ok, we know the guitar settings. What about the bass and drums to fit this guitars?
Could we achieve this kind of sound with ampsims, impulses and drum samples? What of them?

I wish I had a magic box to get a reliable tone with out fail.
That old Left hand path tone was pretty good at the time but now when I listen back to it I think its too fuzzy for what I'd like to play.
Ive found other ways of getting a pretty decent tone the only thing is it involves amps mics eq and comp and a whole load of gubbins that I cant be arsed with most of the time so I'm on the look out for a tidy solution.

does anyone know what was used to get the clean tone on "The Jester's Dance" on the Jester's Race album?