Getting to Know Symphony X

Terminus Est

Dec 8, 2002
Visit site
Right now I'm currently trying to expand my taste in metal. For the past few months, I've been friends with the music of Iron Maiden and Anathema. But now I feel like I should find more good music. So is there anything good done by Symphony X? Name the songs you'd reccomend to a newcomer like me, also with a brief description of what each song is about so I can get to know them better.

Inferno (Unleash the Fire) - Opening track from latest album. Heavy and aggressive. Features a jaw-dropping opening riff. Chorus is incredible. Rough vocals during verses.

Egypt - From V album. Very complex. Has some sitar in beginning. Beautiful song with excellent bass, drumming and amazing guitar solo.

Awakenings - From latest album. Epic piece about man's search for meaning of existance. Lots of beautiful piano, soaring vocals and uplifting chorus.

Fallen - from V album. Heavy, dark with great riffs.

The divine wings of tragedy!! The whole album.
Do yourself and the band a favor buy their music, don't DL it.
If you don't buy it bands like symphony x will cease to exist.

A few of my personal favorites are....

Of Sins and Shadows
Candlelight Fantasia
Awakenings
Rediscovery II
A Fool's Paradise

just about all of their songs are awsome but those are probably my top 5 personal favorites

You honestly can't go wrong with any of the albums. I'm a newer fan than alot of the guys here also. So after I picked up V and listened to it for a while I went out and BOUGHT(very important) all the other albums. It was well worth it!

The first SyX song I heard was "Of Sins and Shadows" and although that style was kind of "newland" to me (I was more into classical music and a bit ot prog rock that time) I liked it from the very first second. My first album was "The Divine Wings of Tragedy", but now I'd say I prefer "V" as a whole. "TDWOT" is quite a bit heavier, but "V" has just unbelievable melodies and the whole concept is just perfect. Of course I also like the classical influences on "V".

It's hard to recommend any songs cause they are all great. I'd say try "Evolution", "Fallen" and "Fool's Paradise". If you prefer heavier stuff you should try "Inferno" of their new album "The Odyssey" or the already mentioned "Of Sins and Shadows".

If you rather like "ballad-like" songs you should try "Candlelight Fantasia" (I love that song!).

You'll see that SyX is a band with great diversity and many different aspects that make them both a very interesting but also a very challenging band to the listener. If you ever get infected by the SyX virus it will never let you go any more... :D

A beginner's guide to Symphony X:

The scorchers:
Of Sins And Shadows
Smoke And Mirrors
Evolution
A Fool's Paradise
Inferno
King Of Terrors

The prog masterworks:
A Winter's Dream
Sea Of Lies
Accolade I and II
Church Of The Machine
Egypt
Awakenings

The divine epics:
The Edge Of Forever
The Divine Wings Of Tragedy
Through The Looking Glass
Rediscovery
The Odyssey

The majestic ballads:
Whispers
Candlelight Fantasia
Lady Of The Snow
Communion And The Oracle

Originally posted by icedsymphony
The divine wings of tragedy!! The whole album.
Do yourself and the band a favor buy their music, don't DL it.
If you don't buy it bands like symphony x will cease to exist.

Listen to this man here. There are certain bands that shouldn't be DLed. Symphony X is one of them, they are incredible especially when you buy the full albums! You'll find seamless production and music.

Best ballad for me would be Candlelight Fantasia, I love that one whole-heartedly.. The lyrics are so amazing. Also the live version of that together with Death Of Balance (From Live On The Edge Of Forever) is extremely well-performed.

More heavy songs include:

Inferno (DAMN! that one is good waking up to in the morning!!)
Of Sins And Shadows
Evolution (Again, lyrics... damn they are good.)
Incarnations Of The Apprentice

More prog stuff:
The Accolade/II
The Odessey (This is the best epic I have ever heard)
Death Of Balance/Lacrymosa is very good as well.
And of course, Awakeings.

Originally posted by SyX-Fan
Best ballad for me would be Candlelight Fantasia, I love that one whole-heartedly.. The lyrics are so amazing. Also the live version of that together with Death Of Balance (From Live On The Edge Of Forever) is extremely well-performed.

Well... the parts of it that they played were well performed yes.... though I was dissapointed that they didnt put the whole song on there since its one of my favorites. I really hope that they play the entire song live when they come to Chicago again for the headlining tour.

Originally posted by ElvenShadow
Well... the parts of it that they played were well performed yes.... though I was dissapointed that they didnt put the whole song on there since its one of my favorites. I really hope that they play the entire song live when they come to Chicago again for the headlining tour.

Since it's probably my favourite song as well I can only agree to that.. But at least you should be thankful that you get to see them live.. They will probably never get over here. (Denmark)

Originally posted by †Russel Allen†®
Dude, listen to this fuckin' track: The Eyes of Medusa... awesomely devastating...

That was the first Sy X song I ever head. Amazing.

For me, I'd say just about any of the songs mentioned before.

And to add my own "The Accolade", "Wicked" from the new album, and "In the Dragon's Den"

Buy the albums, though. You won't be disappointed. They're truly amazing.

Ok I just tried some of the songs you guys mentioned and I have to agree with what you said about these songs:

Evolution
Awakenings
Inferno
Egypt
The Eyes of Medusa

Hell yeah, all these songs were really good!:)

But I have to admit that yes I did download them. Using KaZaA. *nervous*

Originally posted by Terminus Est
But I have to admit that yes I did download them. Using KaZaA. *nervous*

Why of course, that's the first step! Evolution had me hooked as the very first Symphony X song I ever downloaded. :D

Originally posted by Terminus Est
Right now I'm currently trying to expand my taste in metal. For the past few months, I've been friends with the music of Iron Maiden and Anathema. But now I feel like I should find more good music. So is there anything good done by Symphony X? Name the songs you'd reccomend to a newcomer like me, also with a brief description of what each song is about so I can get to know them better.

Terminus I saw your thread on the general discussion forum and I would like to say something. If you are going to get into Metal be a little bit more open minded and don't judge the music by the lyrics, read the lyrics and analyze them before making a judgement. Check this website out, it has lots of metal lyrics:

Dark Lyrics

Here are some bands that you should check out, now that you already know Symphony X (none of these bands are satanic)

Death (the early stuff might be a little disturbing at first, but don't judge it before hearing the whole catalog)

Soilwork
Liquid Tension Experiment
Dream Theater
Metallica (early stuff)
Cacophony (guitar driven metal, the best metal guitar duo ever IMO)
Metalium
Dark Angel
Lacuna Coil
Testament (early stuff especially, the other 2 cd's aren't your cup of tea)
Darkane (the music might be a little too intense for you at first)
Opeth
Nile (one of the most intense bands right now, I doubt you'll like it but check them out anyway)
Evergrey
Motorhead
Judas Priest
Megadeth

well that should get you started, remember be a little open minded :)