Getting to Know Symphony X

Ultimate Symphony,

If you are going to get into Metal be a little bit more open minded and don't judge the music by the lyrics, read the lyrics and analyze them before making a judgement. Check this website out, it has lots of metal lyrics...

Actually I already was familiar with the Dark Lyrics site long before you posted the link. Yes I do read and analyze lyrics before judging what I'm about to listen.

I have yet to listen to any of the bands you mentioned. Okay well about one of the bands you mentioned, Opeth, well I personally think their stuff is quite depressing from what I listened to and from their lyrics I read. The layout of their instrumental parts of their music also seems to have some sort of effect on my attention span. I downloaded a couple Opeth songs via KaZaA and well, it turned out they didn't hit the fan for me. Well they say all their music is good, but ah well I don't know but that's just me.

Well so far, I'm pretty much into Iron Maiden, Anathema, a bit of In Fames, and I'm sorta getting into Paradise Lost, SyX, and Ayreon.

Based on those bands I can recommend you these albums:

Soilwork- The Chainheart Machine, A Predator's Portrait
Death-Symbolic,Human,The Sound Of Perseverance
Dark Tranquility-The Gallery, Damage Done
Dream Theater-Scenes From A Memory, Awake
Darkane-Rusted Angel
Metallica-Master Of Puppets,Ride The Lightning
Megadeth-Rust In Peace
Dark Angel-Darkness Descends,Time Does Not Heal
At The Gates-Slaughter Of The Soul (Check the lyrics before)
Judas Priest-Painkiller
Testament-First Strike Still Deadly
Death Angel-Act III
Carcass-Heartwork
Arch Enemy-Wages Of Sin,Burning Bridges
Metalium-Millenium Metal,Hero Nation

Well that should get you started :)

Stratovarius RULES!!

I downloaded a three songs by this band, and damn, I got to like them immediately. These 3 songs are Phoenix, Glory of the World, and Infinity.

I'm sure I will like more of their work.:)

Originally posted by Terminus Est
Ok I just tried some of the songs you guys mentioned and I have to agree with what you said about these songs:

Evolution
Awakenings
Inferno
Egypt
The Eyes of Medusa

Hell yeah, all these songs were really good!:)

But I have to admit that yes I did download them. Using KaZaA. *nervous*

I don't see anything wrong with downloading them to get a taste of the music. No one wants to buy an album blind and then discover that they just don't like it. However, once you've decided you do like something, you should buy it and support the band rather than just keeping the downloaded copy.

Originally posted by Kyra
I don't see anything wrong with downloading them to get a taste of the music. No one wants to buy an album blind and then discover that they just don't like it. However, once you've decided you do like something, you should buy it and support the band rather than just keeping the downloaded copy.

That's always been my philosophy as well!