Ghost: I must be in the extreme minority...

This band does nothing for me. I find their music boring and average at best. And from the live performance clips I've seen, their live show isn't any better.

I don't get why people say this band is a Mercyful Fate ripoff. The only part that reminds me of MF (and granted it bears a very strong resemblance) are the vocals and the lyrics. Even then, it's not like the King was the first to sing high or about Satan.

Lots of people have been hating on Ghost as of late. A good bit comes from people who just don't like them, which is fine, but the majority is because they're 'big' now. Inevitable....

To me, they're the best thing to happen to metal in years. Perfect blend of metal and pop.

I would totally enjoy Neal Morse. Portnoy and Gilbert could make special appearances :worship:

With Portnoy and Gilbert would be a different story. Unfortunately, I can't get into Neal Morse's material other than one song in Transatlantic. His stuff bores me. :( All joking aside, as long as you like it, if he ever came to ProgPower, I sincerely hope you would enjoy it to the fullest! :)

The funny thing with bands like this who cause a stir with "new" metal fans is that often enough, these fans have no clue where the sound comes from, and most likely don't care. A friend of mine really digs Wolfmother , and when he played some for me, I told him I was already a fan of Uriah Heep....he didn't know who Uriah Heep was. What's old is new...everything comes and goes in cycles.

One of the guys I went with to the CoB show was wearing one of those Ghost shirts. Cool shirt. But like Glenn I couldn't get into them either, it was like King Diamond lite mixed with BOC. I could see what they were going for but was completely underwhelmed by the music.

One of the guys I went with to the CoB show was wearing one of those Ghost shirts. Cool shirt. But like Glenn I couldn't get into them either, it was like King Diamond lite mixed with BOC. I could see what they were going for but was completely underwhelmed by the music.

Yah, but they are into Satan. Isn't that enough?

Never heard of these guys before.... not the worst thing I've heard, not the best. Has an old school vibe to it. Every band seems to have a gimmick these days. But I'm old enough to remember when KISS hit the scene and everybody was upset about all the makeup, etc. (Hey, at least it isn't rap crap!!)

For whatever reason, they seem to be a hipster-friendly band.

And I'm sure the hipsters are saying "For whatever reason, they seem to be a metal-dork-friendly band."

And I would say that they're more correct. The oddity here isn't that hipsters like Ghost, it's that *metal* fans like Ghost!

Black Mountain is a band with a very similar retro, psychedelic sound, and are probably heavier than Ghost, but they aren't promoted to the metal world, they're a band for people looking for dark 70s-style rock. That would be the obvious audience to promote Ghost to, but someone in their management must have come up with the clever idea to present them as a "metal" band, knowing that they would fill a hole for the metal audience, while the 70s-retro-rockers would just say "eh, I already listen to enough bands like this".

Neil

P.S.: comments made after listening to Ghost's album on Spotify to make sure I knew what I was talking about.

And I'm sure the hipsters are saying "For whatever reason, they seem to be a metal-dork-friendly band."

And I would say that they're more correct. The oddity here isn't that hipsters like Ghost, it's that *metal* fans like Ghost!

Black Mountain is a band with a very similar retro, psychedelic sound, and are probably heavier than Ghost, but they aren't promoted to the metal world, they're a band for people looking for dark 70s-style rock. That would be the obvious audience to promote Ghost to, but someone in their management must have come up with the clever idea to present them as a "metal" band, knowing that they would fill a hole for the metal audience, while the 70s-retro-rockers would just say "eh, I already listen to enough bands like this".

Neil

P.S.: comments made after listening to Ghost's album on Spotify to make sure I knew what I was talking about.

I'm sure it has less to do with their management and more with the fact that the band is a Swedish supergroup of sorts made up from various death and heavy metal bands and that their debut EP (released before the hype and well before they landed any kind of management) was released on a metal label. And I do think they are a metal band in sound and not in 'marketing.' Metal combined with other elements, absolutely, but metal nonetheless.

I don't get why people say this band is a Mercyful Fate ripoff. The only part that reminds me of MF (and granted it bears a very strong resemblance) are the vocals and the lyrics. Even then, it's not like the King was the first to sing high or about Satan.

Lots of people have been hating on Ghost as of late. A good bit comes from people who just don't like them, which is fine, but the majority is because they're 'big' now. Inevitable....

To me, they're the best thing to happen to metal in years. Perfect blend of metal and pop.

well first time for everything I guess but I agree.