Ghost of perdition

shark22

RuffRyda
Oct 18, 2004
The riff where he sings "you gotta live before you die young", that guitar is a total rip off of the Tool song "Laturus". Pretty much the same riff there at the end of that song. If you have that album go and listen. Wow. :OMG:

do you ever get sick of talking shit on opeth? good lord, one part of one song sounds like a tool song and you point it out about 3 months late. It's just a downstroking D note... God forbid anyone do that... If anything, we should be like, what the fuck adam jones, have you ever heard of a song without dropped D?

MasterOLightning said:
This was discussed only, i dunno, THE DAY THE SONG CAME OUT. Very noticible. You're a bit slow. What no one notices is the Meshuggah ripoff at the end of Beneath the Mire.

Its hardly a rip off mate. They are very similar in the type of effects used, but they are not identical. No where near.

Ikil

You know, for there only being like 12 conventionally available notes to choose from (24 if you consider half steps, and so on into microtone land like Ligeti...), I'm actually surprised by how infrequently riffs sound like other riffs.

The riff is reminiscent of Tool's "Lateralus". But not a direct rip-off.

On a side note, I always thought it would be cool if Maynard collaborated with Opeth or Mikael with Tool...

-Vintersorg- said:
my head hurts

btw, does he mean Lateralus? or do Tool have a osng called Laturus?

He means "Lateralus". I know the part he's talking about, and it sounds similar.

Best, huh? Well, the most experimental is "Lateralus". I tend to like "Aenima" best, though. "Undertow" is good, but the songs are more conventional. Maynard kills, though. He's also great in A Perfect Circle, though that's waaaay more conventinal than even "Undertow".

soundave said:
You know, for there only being like 12 conventionally available notes to choose from (24 if you consider half steps, and so on into microtone land like Ligeti...), I'm actually surprised by how infrequently riffs sound like other riffs.
Oh damn, I thought there were only 7... Well, I guess 8 if you count the root note an octave higher. And 12 with half steps... hm. Oh well.

yes... quarter steps...:ill:

so many songs sound like so many other songs in the world of music its hard for me to hate on Opeth for being influenced for like 5 seconds by a Tool song...and you should take that riff in the context of the melody that comes right after it too... totally not tool then...

Stimuli said:
yes... quarter steps...:ill:

so many songs sound like so many other songs in the world of music its hard for me to hate on Opeth for being influenced for like 5 seconds by a Tool song...and you should take that riff in the context of the melody that comes right after it too... totally not tool then...

True. But I can sort of imagine what Maynard my do with that vocal part. It'd be interesting. But I love Mikael's voice on that. It surprised me the first time I heard it, put a huge smile on my face. Wish I could have all those first-time experiences again...

shark22 said:
The riff where he sings "you gotta live before you die young", that guitar is a total rip off of the Tool song "Laturus". Pretty much the same riff there at the end of that song. If you have that album go and listen. Wow. :OMG:
actually it's from Uriah Heep song called "Sweet Freedom." I'm afraid they have Tool beaten by about 30 years.:Spin: