Ghost of perdition

I'm thinking it sounds a little like a part of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring...

Also very similar to a part in the Genesis song "Watcher of the Skies" from Foxtrot.

RachelOwnsAllMetalHeads said:
actually it's from Uriah Heep song called "Sweet Freedom." I'm afraid they have Tool beaten by about 30 years.:Spin:
So opeth riped off a rip off? :tickled:

I remember reading about this way before the album was released, and picked up on it when I first heard the song, but do you really think of Tool when you listen to this song? The two songs have absolutely nothing going on together; Its a nice little pause to emphasize some strong words that will reflect the heavier and more important parts of the song. Tool and Opeth come from two completely different worlds.

Ugh, when you write ten minute songs as complex and varied as the O-boys do, you are bound to have bits that sound like other bands, some influences more overt than others. But so what? Noone would say GOP is a copy of Lateralus. Apart from that bit, the songs are hugely different. Yeah, the riff is essentially the same....but its used completely differently.

.....besides, GOP is far better.

shark22 said:
The riff where he sings "you gotta live before you die young", that guitar is a total rip off of the Tool song "Laturus". Pretty much the same riff there at the end of that song. If you have that album go and listen. Wow. :OMG:

Can you give me time marks for both songs cause i don't see the comparisons

It's really hard nowadays to write some kind of riff that doesn't sound like another one in some other song. I mean a while ago, before I heard Advent, I had come up with this cool riff that everyone loved. Come to find out that same riff was the fading out riff of Advent. Sometimes it's intentional, and sometimes, unententional.

Black Rain said:
Can you give me time marks for both songs cause i don't see the comparisons

Remember that it's only reminiscent... I think everyone is talking about this:

Lateralus @ 2:04 (or thereabouts)
Ghost of Perdition @ 1:06 (or so)

I don't think it's as close as a lot of people do. Maybe I'm wrong about where the similarities are? If so, let me know.

I'm convinced the bit at 5:25 on Baying of the Houds is ripped off Schumann's Feierlich (Symphony No. 3 in E-Flat Major).

Go listen to it.

ZOMG. :OOOO

PS, once I wrote a riff that I later found out Coal Chamber used.

I don't know what's worse, writing soemthing that CC did, or admitting it. :/

etakistan said:
I'm convinced the bit at 5:25 on Baying of the Houds is ripped off Schumann's Feierlich (Symphony No. 3 in E-Flat Major).

Go listen to it.

Which movement?

Edit: Okay looked it up. Never mind. Duh....

soundave said:
Not necessarily rare or anything, but one of my favorites is Foxtrot by Genesis. The first track, "Watcher of the Skies" is amazing, and has a section reminiscent of the section of "Ghost of Perdition" that everyone claims Opeth ripped from Tool.

thought I'd paste this here from The prog thread. :)

Yeah, I think so, too. I just realized that the other day when I was on a Foxtrot kick. I thought....hey....

But still... I don't think it was a conscious thing.