Ghost Reveries... someone explain it!

I agree with the openingspost. Due to some of the boring fillers the album lacks the great flow I'm so used to when listenend to an Opeth record. It's almost like it's too thought out, which reminded me of some Dream Theater stuff. Perhaps this has something to do with the band creating the songs before they went into the studio? No more rehearsals guys!:) Also, I don't like some of Micheal's clean singing, but that's very subjective I guess. Overall, it's a pretty decent record, but one of my least favorite from Opeth.

blimey said:
Okay so pretty much explain why you guys think its so good.

Ghost of Perdition, great song. Nothing wrong with it.

BotH? Starts off good, but then from about 3:18 to 6:15 you have an insane filler. Just listen to the music... listen to the guitar work, to the keys, to the drums. No offense, but I think any band could have pulled off this section of the song. 8:22 to 9:01, another insanely boring filler. Yes I know that Opeth has it's mellow parts, but it's so predictable on this whole album. Heavy/mellow/heavy/mellow. For example, on any Opeth album, from Orchid to BWP, their songs were completely unpredictable.

[...]

Anyways, that's my opinion.

I'm noit even gonna dignify this with reading everything.
It sounded to stupid all the way to here.

GR aint predictiable or easy. But now you know the album ofcuze it is.
They take so sharp turns it's scary to ride along as the passenger.

blimey said:
But I must say that the riffs on this album, a part from GoP, the beginning of BotH, and R/HF are insanely laid back and relatively boring.

Any guitar player here knows that GR really is composed of very laid back and simple riffs. The drums, they're great, but I think Opeth is a more guitar-oriented band.

I'd just like to point out that MAYH consists of even simpler guitar arrangements for the most part, but no one seems to complain.

PeeWee1473 said:
I'd just like to point out that MAYH consists of even simpler guitar arrangements for the most part, but no one seems to complain.
Obviously you don't play the guitar. You're wrong. It actually boggles me that you think MAYH has even simpler guitar arrangements in it.

Benighted Joe said:
I'm noit even gonna dignify this with reading everything.
It sounded to stupid all the way to here.

GR aint predictiable or easy. But now you know the album ofcuze it is.
They take so sharp turns it's scary to ride along as the passenger.
Dumbass, I said GoP was GOOD.

Id like to remind ppl (and I apologize if some of these points have been mentioned) but just because some of the songs dont suit your personal preference doesn't make the album not worthy of being one of their best. As much as they write music for the fans, the music is as much for themselves as it is for us.

As we all know, Opeth has gone in different directions with all their albums and one way they did this with this album (which is much more subtle to non musicians) was the fact that most of the songs of the album were done in open D tuning. I dont know how many of you actually play guitar but its much more difficult to completely remove yourself from the box and write songs from an entirely different perspective once your stuck in a groove. Mike has mentioned how it was much harder to write the solos for this album because he had to abandon his old licks and start again. So before you guys start bashing the songs because they are not up to your requirements, maybe you should actually read up on how the album was created and the difficulties they faced in making the album in the first place.

I dont think any of the band would appreciate this kind of feedback on such an amazing masterpiece. We also tend to forget that the addition of Per is not just a simple process of adding him to the band. He had to find ways to fit in with Opeth's style and add keys to most of the tunes so they would fit and not ruin Opeth's unique style.

GR was an experimental album, and I do not mean that in a sense of trying to break through to a new scene or group of fans, but like all their other albums Opeth has looked for something new to bring to the table. Each album is different from the previous and has different reasons why we like the tunes.

Think how lucky we are to get such differing albums all these years. There are countless bands out there that have been spitting out the same shit their whole careers and their sound will never change. Opeth is the complete opposite of this trend and as much as ppl think they understand this, It really doesn't seem like they do as there wouldn't be this thread at all if they really appreciated what Opeth has done over the years.

I am a big fan of GR but I choose not to compare/contrast it with previous albums. I think all opeth albums are different and all have great qualities, and I think that the true fans will see this and not fuss over 'this part in the song should have gone this way'. If you want a band that will never change then maybe its time you start looking into some different bands that will continuously give you what you want...over and over and over....

Ok, once again, I'm not bashing GR. I'm not even saying that its a sub-par album because of my personal preference. I told you why I think what I think with examples, in my first post.

I never said any song was bad... I just said its repetitive and frankly boring at times. I just think Opeth has made much more interesting music in the past.

Well said AFairJudgement, however...

"Id like to remind ppl (and I apologize if some of these points have been mentioned) but just because some of the songs dont suit your personal preference doesn't make the album not worthy of being one of their best. As much as they write music for the fans, the music is as much for themselves as it is for us."

Whenever an artist, be it musician, writer, artists, has their music released, writings published etc, that piece no longer belongs to them, it's out *there*... meaning people can talk about it, interpret it, change it (cover songs, oh how i loathe!) and I guess this is why GR is getting these long discussions

this probably doesn't make sense, it's early, if so, just ignore! :)

blimey said:
Ok, once again, I'm not bashing GR. I'm not even saying that its a sub-par album because of my personal preference. I told you why I think what I think with examples, in my first post.

I never said any song was bad... I just said its repetitive and frankly boring at times. I just think Opeth has made much more interesting music in the past.

Well said Ole Kid

double post... sorry

^. excellent. I just noticed that the growling vocals are from the main "human" character and the clean vocals are from the "demonic" character. For the first three songs. I'll be up all night now.

and every song after those, It is the other way around with the "human" on clean vocals.

close enough? interpetations can mean the opposite of each other... so it probably isnt close to the real meaning. it doesnt really matter though i guess, each song means something different to each person so interpret ahead!

youlookadopted said:
They are just interpretations. But aren't they close enough?:err:

The interpretation is good. But its Opeth. That means that you can take it almost anyway you want to. Thats a good page you have there.