What you prefer

shark22

RuffRyda
Oct 18, 2004
What got you into the band? For me it was more of the more mellow material. When I heard To Bid You Farewell I was like wow this is coming from a death metal band. Also, not being a big fan of real loud music I relate more to the mellow side. I do feel that the dynamics between heavy and mellow are a big part or the band as a whole. But I am just curious as to what you all prefer more the heavy or mellow side of Opeth?

I heard the Leper Affinity, and kinda liked it, and I brought still life and really came on the face of melinda. And then when Damnation came out I got hardcore into that. So id say the mellow side.

I probably slightly prefer the mellow side of the band but the reason I like them so much is because of the dynamics. My first song was The Moor and upon listening to it I thought "hey, this is a good metal band" (though kind of in the same way I think Slayer is a good metal band), but when the mellow part of the song kicked in I was pretty much floored.

Alternative 3 said:
really came on the face of melinda
nice pun :lol:

My first taste of Opeth was the Still Life album (which I downloaded upon many recommendations online). I hadn't really heard a lot of extreme music before that, so I really hated the growling and didn't really give any of the songs a chance. Fortunately, I had also downloaded a couple of tracks off of Damnation that I decided to listen to one day. The first song I really got into was Windowpane. His melodic voice really floored me and for some time I was quite pissed off that the rest of their material contained death growls. Thank God tastes change.

opeth was one of the first good, more underground metal bands i started listening to...before that it was more metallica, shadows fall, iron maiden, slayer, etc...so it wasn't really something i'd heard anything like before.

my friend sent me Black Rose Immortal a while back.......then he sent every other damn thing opeth has done. although now i'm glad he did it ^___^

The mellow songs were what got me interested in the first place since I had never listened to death metal or really any metal before. Now I like both the heavy and mellow parts equally. The dynamics are amazing.

The Twilight Is My Robe and To Bid you Farewell were the first Opeth songs I heard (in that order). I loved their aesthetic and the imagery the music conjured up... So I got real into them and decided to buy their music.

First song I heard was Blackwater Park and I loved it. I maybe like the heavy parts most but I like the mellow parts too and they are almost as great as the heavy parts.

hmm, i think i had just seen some shit online, that opeth were like this incredible band, so that initially sparked my interest. a friend at school was casually into them, and i borrowed D1 from him, and fucking fell in love. i downloaded about 10 or so random opeth mp3s, not sure if it was before or after hearing the D1 cd.

well, i was sold..a few days later i bought 3 cds of the century media site
then a few weeks after that, bought the others.

as for what i prefer, the mellow or heavy opeth? i can't really say. i love how both are elements of every song. if opeth chose to stop putting mellow parts in, and stayed just DM, i'd still love em...if opeth decided to ditch the DM, and continued damnation-esque instead, i'd still love em. if they stay the way they are with both, i love em even more haha.

Well, it's a funny story, actually. Mike had been calling me for a few weeks, kinda bugging me, telling me to come have a beer with him, how he's got this new CD out, or how his mustache is really coming in nice, or about how he doesn't know if the bass player is a deaf mute or not, blah blah. So finally I'm like, "Mike, ok, I'll meet you for a pint down at the pub."

So we meet and he starts telling me about how my guitar playing has really influenced all his work, or something, I don't know, I was kind of watching the match on TV. So anyway, Mike is yammering on about Stephanie Wilson, some chick who produced the new CD. Or maybe that he's nailing. Like I said, I was watching TV. Before he left, he gave me a couple mp3 CDs with all their stuff on it, even the pre-Orchid experimental disco stuff (it's REALLY gay), and told me that he'd be honored if I dropped by the forum once in a while.

I've listened to the CDs a few times, they are pretty good. I admire Mike for hiring a handicapped bassist, that's very open-minded of him. And wearing bell bottoms. That's kinda weird. And just to make him happy, I post here sometimes. That's about it.

Alternative 3 said:
I always thought you were an old school fan bri, not that you sound elitist, just seasoned haha.

you mean favor the older opeth catalogue? well i do now haha, i was saying when i FIRST got into them dude. the first record i heard was D1, and loved it. i still love it too, but i'd rather listen to MAYH/SL/Orchid

It was always the combination that appealed to me and probably still does to the greater extent. I love watching how easy Mike finds it to switch vocal styles in the same breath when playing live, really fucking impressive. Mind you, as the Bloodbath website said, he is probably the best death metal vocalist on the planet, so I guess it does make sense.

That said, I love both Deliverance and Damnation. I probably favour Damnation though, it has opened me up to a whole new world of music (well, that and Dan Swanö's prog tendencies). I think Damnation just gave me the kick up the arse I needed to make those tentative first few prog purchases.

Two years ago I would have said "heavy", but the only Opeth ive really listened to the last year is the mellow stuff. I cant even remember the last time I heard Deliverance... I agree with Gunhaver on I2; its a very nice piece of music.

The last year has been mostly filled with Emperor (which is much more energetic and powerful to me than any DM), Gorguts, Cynic and a lot of classical.

Im glad Opeth is apparently expanding a bit on their sound. The dual guitar riff attack is awesome (and im sure theyll stick to it at the core) but adding Per and that whole dynamic could be the shake up ive been waiting for, and what would get me more interested in their heavy approach.

Well the first song I heard was Bleak and then April Ethereal so I got into them for their heavier side, but I'm also a big fan of acoustic mellow music so it was the perfect mixture for me.

about a year ago i downloaded black rose immortal/bleak/harvest by a friend's reccomendation. i liked it, so i bought orchid by other recommendations without hearing one song from it. obviously, i loved it, so i bought the rest of their albums by release order.
i'm way more into their heavy stuff.