Ghost Reveries... someone explain it!

No, that's the thing that's annoying: you ARE always like this. 90% of your posts have one of either n00b, pwn, 1337, über, etc etc etc and it gets really repetitive and really boring. Kinda lame, while people are having real discussion.

^. yeah, I usually skip his posts, no harm done.

I forgot to explain GR.

Ghost Reveries :headbang:
Still Life :worship: :headbang:
Morninrise :worship: :worship:
Orchid :err: :headbang:

I hope that helped.

-Vintersorg- said:
No, that's the thing that's annoying: you ARE always like this. 90% of your posts have one of either n00b, pwn, 1337, über, etc etc etc and it gets really repetitive and really boring. Kinda lame, while people are having real discussion.

Fuck, if you want me to stop, then I will, because I really take offense to that. That's how I talk, it's like a second language. I'm bi-lingual I suppose. Have you seen the Turkiye thread? Why the hell aren't you complaining over there? I try to make the threads more fun to read, but if you can't handle the slight comicalness that I add to everything, repetitive or not, then screw it. Some people will be dissappointed, though. :(

Oh man, it's been annoying for a while. Comical at first, granted, but it's just beating a joke to its death and then pissing on its grave, the way you use it. I never complained up until now as I didn't want to be seen as flaming you. Every now and then woulda been fine, but every 2nd post.. fuck man. The only reason I complain is because it breaks up the real discussion. Yeah ok, so some threads do need the joke posts to lighten up the mood, but to me, and I'm gunna take a long shot and say ALOT of the other people here included, it just has gotten too repetitive and too fucking boring.

But yeah, Reveries is good, but probably towards t3h bottom of n00b pwning Opethian 1337 pile..

(can you see where I'm coming from? Imagine seeing that^ every 2nd post.)

I don't know... I'm so damn used to reading and typing like that, that it seems like normal conversation to me.

But yeah, Reveries is good, but probably towards bottom of the awesome opeth catalogue is how I read it, 1337-esque or not. Sad? You bet.

Okay, I think Ghost Reveries is definitely a change in direction, but there is nothing wrong with change, using the same themes over and over again is like pop music. I think Opeth did a damn good job on this record. It is true, there are a lot of repeating riffs, but they are GOOD ONES. Why the hell would you want to hear 30 different riffs in 1 song? that way it's harder to remember and you probably won't care about it. Give Opeth a break, this ain't their last album, so stop complaining.

THERE! NO 1337SPEAK AT ALL! It would have been sooooo much more fun to read with occasional n00bs and pwns in there.

hibernal_dream said:
GR doesn't fall down because of its songwriting, guitarwork or repitition. It falls down because it betrays longtime listeners by providing them with nothing new or original to digest. Opeth have become lazy and are simply running through the motions, and the heavy-soft-heavy style has become sort of a gimmick used by Mikael to escape having to write a song with any real content.

(this explains the flood of newbies to the board and departure of old members - they've simply lost interest).

maybe they write the kind of music they like and want to hear...im not convinced mikael writes soft to heavy to "stay opeth", i think he writes like that because that is his opinion of the best kind of music or his favorite to play

and fans are fans, who cares if they just got into opeth...the older members had to just get into opeth at sometime

yea GR has a completely unique sound compared to their other albums. None of their albums sound alike which i think is a very posotive thing. Mike explores his vocals a lot more on this cd and they try new things. I think GR is very good, i wouldnt want a remake or something of one of their older cd's....GR is just about the only direction they could go considering their previous releases.

I was going to write something long and well thought out to add to this thread, but it's early and I can't be arsed. I'll just say that apart from tBotH, BtM and R/HF, GR just doesn't grab my attention like the others do. And that Atonement just kills the album for me (they keyboard bits reminds me too much of Riders in the Storm, and I've always hated the Doors!) :loco:

:zombie:

Khayman666 said:
I was going to write something long and well thought out to add to this thread, but it's early and I can't be arsed. I'll just say that apart from tBotH, BtM and R/HF, GR just doesn't grab my attention like the others do. And that Atonement just kills the album for me (they keyboard bits reminds me too much of Riders in the Storm, and I've always hated the Doors!) :loco:

:zombie:

great, thanks

hibernal_dream said:
But like most metal bands they seem to be content with copying themselves. I'm not saying GR is shit - its a masterpiece if it was by any other band. i'm saying that they haven't progreesed, that GR doesn't have anything past albums (either by themselves or other bands) don't have. No I am not in a band but if I was, and if I had a fantastic discography like Opeth's, I wouldn't be happy putting out something like GR.

What, do you want opeth to go completely into a new direction? Mikael needs to try new things and see if they work first, both with the band, and the fans. You can't expect Opeth to be rapidly progressing with every new album. GR is a transitional album IMO. It's merely introducing us to where Opeth wants to lead us next.

hibernal_dream said:
Betrays was probably the wrong word - the way you've understood the statement was not what I meant. Replace it with "lost the interest of". True, the band owes us nothing - but to be honest I couldn't care less about the band. Its the music they create that i'm interested in. But like most metal bands they seem to be content with copying themselves. I'm not saying GR is shit - its a masterpiece if it was by any other band. i'm saying that they haven't progreesed, that GR doesn't have anything past albums (either by themselves or other bands) don't have. No I am not in a band but if I was, and if I had a fantastic discography like Opeth's, I wouldn't be happy putting out something like GR. Opeth have said themselves that they write songs in a rush in the studio. Sounds pretty lazy to me. Disagree? Then address my statements themselves instead of making silly comments like 'i pwnz y0u noob'.

A masterpiece is a masterpiece, doesn't matter who it's by. And how do you figure they haven't progressed? What, does GR sound exactly the same as Deliverance to you? And any band has a formula that they stick to for a while. Opeth's formula is good, so why make a radical change when that's how Mike is comfortable as a writer?

Ehh... I guess I just expected something more interesting from opeth. yes the individual parts are good on GR, but most songs just don't do it for me. And don't get me wrong, I still heart Opeth. It's just that I think BWP, SL and MAYH can't be touched (they're interesting and SPONTANEOUS (something GR doesn't have)).

after different phases, first GoP, then BotH, then the mellow ones, and finally Harlequin Forest, I decided just last week to listen to it again in it's eniterity, but REALLY listen to it ... and well, I love the entire album ... it's great ... it has lots of diversity, lots of great riffs, lots of heavy parts and lots of mellow parts, a great atmosphere (although not even close to the eary atmosphere of the early albums of cours), great lyrics, great musicianship, ...

I don't know why everyone seems to bash Hours of Wealth and Isolation Years ... those two songs are by far the best mellow songs they have ever brought out ... so intense and emotional! perhaps not very complex and stuff, but very real, it grasps you when you are into it, when it's completely dark and you really listen to it ... amazing ...

about Grand Conjuration .. well, I think they made a song wich is a bit more straightforward, simply a hard song, nothing more, nothing less, in a very Opethian way ... so nothing wrong with that, it's not meant to be their greatest masterpiece, but simply a very good hard song ...

Damn guy, I never find myself agreeing with you.

Overall, Ghost Revries is good. Hours of Wealth kicks ass too. Not much else to say. There's been WAY too much of this overcritcal stuff going around. Yeah, I got into it too, but now it's an epidemic on this board.