Ghost Reveries, yea or nah?

Dec 3, 2004
Arizona, USA
www.ryanseek.com
Anyone want to chime in on the new Opeth album, Ghost Reveries? I've heard many opinions, some favorable, some not so. Is it too produced? Too Dream Theater? Or is it their greatest masterpiece to date?

I really like it personally, sure to make my top-10 list for the year. I'll never be a big fan of growling or blastbeats, but if there is any band that has taught me to tolerate them it is Opeth. Mainly because the growls and blastbeats are short in duration and then the band moves on to what really tickles my eardrums: emotional progressive metal right on par with another fave band of mine, Evergrey.

My only complaint is some of the abrupt transitions between the death metal and mellow interludes, and it's a small complaint at best. Ghost Reveries is still a solid 5-star album for me. If Opeth ever drops the death metal element completely I'll probably have to go to a 6-star system of rating.

I like it just fine. I've had it in regular rotation for quite a while now. I'm with Dodens Grav though -- the only link to Death Metal is the growly vocals. It's a bit of a hybrid and a perfect example of why I have such a hard time with genres.

Greatest to date? Dunno. I'll have to see how it stands the test of time. :D

You have tried out Porcupine Tree, right? Not metal, really, but good proggy rock.

I think it's great. It is a little more produced, but not intentionally I think. It was Mikael's first real go without Steven Wilson in awhile. The riffs are there, the songs are there, the solos.....it's less "noisy," than, say, Blackwater Park (my fave), but that is not in and of itself a bad thing. It will, at this point, be in my top five for the year. 'Course, I dig the hell out of Opeth.

I still say This Godless Endeavor is record of the year, and generally speaking I like Opeth over Nevermore. That album just kills though.....:headbang:

Well, I don't really study the fine lines between genres...so when I say "death metal" I mean anything with growling vocals and really fast "noisy" tempo (blastbeats admittedly wasn't the right term, that's just what popped into my head at the time). I beg yer pardon, thankee sai.

I actually listened to the new Nevermore right after I played the Opeth last night. Playing those two back to back is quite the assault on the eardrums! This old school mid-tempo metalhead was just about worn out after that.

I have heard Porcupine Tree, Wheezer, thankee. I have In Absentia. I'm not in the mood for that style of music very often, but when I am the Porcupine Tree is usually what I turn to first.

GR is beyond awesome. It's just another of what we've come to expect from Mikael: awesome songwriting, dark vibes and emotional melodies to die for.

IMO, it's much stronger than Deliverance.

IMO, the Best albums of 2005:
1) Glenn Hughes - Soul Mover
2) Opeth - GR
others: Iommi/Hughes, Shadow Gallery, Nevermore, Candlemass

Dodens Grav said:
Here's a question: How do you guys think the newer material (say, Blackwater Park and on) compares to the first two or three albums?

Frankly, I think the "old-school Opeth crowd," is a bit funny. Those albums were really developmental period stuff, and the production was what it was because it was all they could get. I like them a lot, but tend to think that where they are since, say, My Arms Your Hearse is where they have been headed too. Meaning, the early Opeth albums were not reeeeeeally the Opeth sound. Sounds silly, but there is always a funny perspective on such things with bands. You know, some people think Maiden's first album is their best (why is beyond me. It's good, but not Number of the Beast good). Anyway, I like the early Opeth stuff, but truly believe some people sing its praises just to remind everybody that they found Opeth before the rest of us did. The old-school representin' thing. Silly, methinks. Blackwater Park is a masterpiece (as are most of their albums), so I tend to think that anyone who thinks of the newer period as somehow sellout-ish is just putting attitude before music. Tool had a great song called "Hooker With A Penis," about some guy bitching at Maynard about how Tool sold out......Maynard's response in that song is pretty much how I think of the "Opeth sucked after Morningrise," crowd.

Not to overplay it. Being fairly open minded, I can tell you, I like them all.

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Well, I don't really study the fine lines between genres...so when I say "death metal" I mean anything with growling vocals and really fast "noisy" tempo (blastbeats admittedly wasn't the right term, that's just what popped into my head at the time). I beg yer pardon, thankee sai.

I actually listened to the new Nevermore right after I played the Opeth last night. Playing those two back to back is quite the assault on the eardrums! This old school mid-tempo metalhead was just about worn out after that.

I have heard Porcupine Tree, Wheezer, thankee. I have In Absentia. I'm not in the mood for that style of music very often, but when I am the Porcupine Tree is usually what I turn to first.

I see your enjoying Wolves of the Calla! :wave:

Dodens Grav said:
I just think the early stuff is more interesting, regardless if it was an experimental stage.

I discovered Opeth shortly after the release of Morningrise. Of course, not too long thereafter, I picked up the debut. In my opinion, their fist two ARE great records, but they still sound too much like a band still reaching for it's identity. Most of the riffs were great, but the cohesion of it all simply....lacks compared to the newer material.

It alll came together on My Arms. I vividly recall my first impressions of that record and thinking...yes, this is it. Opeth have "found it".

Still great records, but Still Life and Blackwater Park own their entire catalogue, IMO.

ElectricWiz said:
Frankly, I think the "old-school Opeth crowd," is a bit funny. Those albums were really developmental period stuff, and the production was what it was because it was all they could get. I like them a lot, but tend to think that where they are since, say, My Arms Your Hearse is where they have been headed too. Meaning, the early Opeth albums were not reeeeeeally the Opeth sound. Sounds silly, but there is always a funny perspective on such things with bands. You know, some people think Maiden's first album is their best (why is beyond me. It's good, but not Number of the Beast good). Anyway, I like the early Opeth stuff, but truly believe some people sing its praises just to remind everybody that they found Opeth before the rest of us did. The old-school representin' thing. Silly, methinks. Blackwater Park is a masterpiece (as are most of their albums), so I tend to think that anyone who thinks of the newer period as somehow sellout-ish is just putting attitude before music. Tool had a great song called "Hooker With A Penis," about some guy bitching at Maynard about how Tool sold out......Maynard's response in that song is pretty much how I think of the "Opeth sucked after Morningrise," crowd.

Not to overplay it. Being fairly open minded, I can tell you, I like them all.

Very well put. I think you and SoundMaster hit the nail right on the head regarding the first two albums (and MAYH), and the old school Opeth fans. Me? I got into them between the releases of SL and BWP, and I find it very hard to get into the first two. I do agree that there are some great things going on, but for the most part, dare I say they just remind me of any run of the mill death metal band, and something I would never have listened to at the time those albums were released. I guess it's just hard for me to go back and regress with them when this band has progressed so much.

Oh yeah, Ghost Reveries has not left my cd player in 2 months. Album of the year for me, hands down. I think it's an album that things will be compared to for years to come.

Still Life was my fav, until Ghost Reveries. Simply put, amazing album. It big time fits the mood I posted about a few weeks back, when I was looking for bands like Riverside etc. This album is amazing on so many levels. Definitely in the running for best of 2005.

MetalAges said:
Still Life was my fav, until Ghost Reveries. Simply put, amazing album. It big time fits the mood I posted about a few weeks back, when I was looking for bands like Riverside etc. This album is amazing on so many levels. Definitely in the running for best of 2005.

I just ordered the Riverside CD after hearing a few samples. Sounds great, almost like a mix of Anathema and Porcupine Tree (two of my fav bands).
I can't wait for it's arrival!

I am totally diggin' this CD. I like the addition of the keyboardist to the band. It just adds to the ambience of the music. Still very dark and heavy as hell!:headbang:

SavaRon said:
I am totally diggin' this CD. I like the addition of the keyboardist to the band. It just adds to the ambience of the music. Still very dark and heavy as hell!:headbang:

Yeah! The keyboards, at times, have that John Lord, old schoolish, Moogy feel to them.

Hmmmmm, now I am intrigued.... the few Opeth songs I have heard have bored me to tears... I must be honest. Even though they had elements I liked they just did not click with me... maybe I have to go back and listen to them again. I am very curious about the new album... gonna check out their site for samples

Pabla said:
Hmmmmm, now I am intrigued.... the few Opeth songs I have heard have bored me to tears... I must be honest. Even though they had elements I liked they just did not click with me... maybe I have to go back and listen to them again. I am very curious about the new album... gonna check out their site for samples

It gets my vote for album of the year (and for perspective, I enjoy practically EVERY genre of metal/rock).

other great records this year:
Glenn Hughes
Nevermore
Porcupine Tree
Candlemass
Iommi/Hughes
Dickinson

coming soon: Depeche Mode

SavaRon said:
Absolutely. Most of the criticisms I've heard have been about the keyboards and the slick production. Granted the polished production sounds a little weird (not bad, mind you, just weird) with their style of music but it gives Akerfeldt's unique writing a new voice. And keyboards are a must for me, in anything other than simple hard rock. They don't have to be "up front", but even in the background they add so much to the overall sound of a metal album. They add depth, and layers. Like Savatage! :worship:

NP: Pyramaze - Meloncholy Beast