Ghosts

I've seen ghosts on three seperate occasions . I was not under the influence of drugs or alcohol - I was completely clear-headed each time . They were in a house I used to live in ... a family of five had been murdered in there , I later found out . I saw three of their ghosts in that house over the course of about 6 months .

I also felt strange things every time I went in one of the bedrooms ... for no reason at all that room would become cold - almost cold enough to see your breath . And the rest of the house would be perfectly warm . I literally felt the room's temperature DROP while I was standing in it . There were no windows open , either (in case that's what you're thinking) . This happened at least 6 times .

A few times I saw a different face in my bathroom mirror , also - an old woman that looked nothing like me . Every time I saw her that room's temperature would also drop . To this day I have a fear of looking in the mirror - I'll only look if someone else is nearby .

So yes , I believe .

DeviousDVO said:
I was not under the influence of drugs or alcohol - I was completely clear-headed each time
I know a group of people that use halucinogenics as a group because, more often than not, the whole group will experience the exact same sights/sounds/smells/temp changes etc etc etc. They believe that when this happens, what they are experiencing is not actually a hallucination at all but that their minds are being "opened" so that their eyes are able to see into dimentions that are invisible to sober people and sometimes they actually talk to the ghosts of dead people

I'm not sure if that's the drugs or real interaction with ghosts , though . I've used hallucinogenics a few times and I honestly couldn't tell you if the things I saw were real or not (I really don't think they were , though) . Of course it FEELS real - but I doubt that it is .

But who knows - maybe I'm wrong . I'd love to continue this conversation but I'm just too tired ... I should be in bed right now . Another day then :)

DeviousDVO said:
I'm not sure if that's the drugs or real interaction with ghosts , though . I've used hallucinogenics a few times and I honestly couldn't tell you if the things I saw were real or not (I really don't think they were , though) . Of course it FEELS real - but I doubt that it is .
this is the reason why they do this as a group, if a group of people are using halucinogenics, there's no way in hell the entire group will be able to experience the exact same halucination, so whatever it is that they're seeing/hearing must be something that's actually there (unless it's one person psychicly projecting imagry into the minds of the others, but such a projection would be a memory anyway, not a halucination)

I belive group psychology can work in this case. People often convince themselves in groups at certain things have happened. Stockholm syndrome is an example.

I remain dubious, because the willingness to believe in ghosts is often a predicate for actually seeing one.

My parents both say they saw a ghost at the same time as eachother. It was in their bedroom and they said that they didn't feel scared. This was when I was a toddler. They are not the sort of people who are into the supernatural or psychic stuff at all. They would never take drugs or even get very drunk. They are professionals and rational by most people's standards. My conclusion is that they truly believe they saw a ghost, but I am skeptical. I don't like the idea of getting spooked!

I wonder how much control these supposed ghosts or spirits have over what they can do, where they can go, and how they think. Can a ghost of a murdered person deliberately spook the person responsible, or anyone else they want to spook for that matter? If so, then I would expect most ghosts to have an agenda, and want to do things that they couldn't while alive.

There are various theories about people feeling cold and sensing a presence that have been scientifically explained. And there are some reasonable sounding theories that some kind of recording of certain events can happen in the area where they occured, and this recording can play back occasionally when the atmospheric conditions are suitable.
But I know very little about it because of my skepticism, so obviously there's a lot of possible evidence that would be interesting to consider.

You may take it for real or you may not, but ghosts are more or less technically explained in different traditions for thousands of years, and more or less, the explanations are similar.
There are few different things perceived as "ghost". In cases of tragic events, often after death of person/persons, astral body (that usualy dissolves just the same as physical body) is kept on in life because of big energetic charge during experience of death. Most of the time, astral body is just playing his death drama on and on, and can be perceived by some people sensitive enough from time to time. Ther "Ghosts" are simply just astral beings that are in the same fashion perceived at some events, at a certain time of day, especially in nature.
Off course, you won't find scientific evidence about all this, but same story is there for thousands for years, in the different parts of the world :)

I don't know if I believe in ghosts or not. As I said in the UFO thread, bizarre things have happened in my brothers house, with more than one person perceiving the incidents. I have also been told things by my mother who is not the type to believe in this kind of thing but does have some opinions on it. Like Norsemaiden, however, I remain sceptical to it all. The reality programs on TV about haunted houses and so on do nothing to curb by scepticism, at all.

Final_Product said:
I remain dubious, because the willingness to believe in ghosts is often a predicate for actually seeing one.
I'm pretty sure that when you use the word "predicate" you mean "prerequisite" or "requirement" but, no it's not. Whenever you have a large family moving into a house that already has a ghost living there that eventually makes himself "visable" to all of the occupants, what you get quite frequently get, is the person that's the most adamant non-believer in ghosts is the 1st person that experiences the temp change or sees the ghost move something or is in the house alone when the lights flicker or the phone rings etc etc etc. Some ghost hunters believe that sometimes the ghosts purpously try to make themselves visible/noticeable to those specific non-believers where the ghost is pretty much making fun of you for not believing in ghosts

Neith said:
I don't know if I believe in ghosts or not. As I said in the UFO thread, bizarre things have happened in my brothers house, with more than one person perceiving the incidents. I have also been told things by my mother who is not the type to believe in this kind of thing but does have some opinions on it. Like Norsemaiden, however, I remain sceptical to it all. The reality programs on TV about haunted houses and so on do nothing to curb by scepticism, at all.
if aliens and ghosts do not exist, then how do you explain the things that happened in your brother's house???
i'm not being a smart-ass, i'm actually asking you a question

LORD_RED_DRAGON said:
Some ghost hunters believe that sometimes the ghosts purpously try to make themselves visible/noticeable to those specific non-believers where the ghost is pretty much making fun of you for not believing in ghosts

So by saying this, you're saying that there ghost hunters believe some ghosts to be psychic?! Granted, many families have discussions about ghosts, UFO's and the Loch Ness monster, and so non-believers would be uncovered through this. But for a family to have the discussion in their new house, even though they may have discussed it countless times before, which turns out to be 'haunted' seems slightly coincidental.

Often when I'm at my brothers' house, things seem much weirder and spookier when ghosts and the weird things have been up for discussion. Even stupid things like the wind blowing a door open can seem 'paranormal' if you've just been discussing. Maybe this happens with the group sessions? Once you've discussed something seriously, it is easy to blow a regular thing into a weird phenomenon.

Kenneth R. said:
I believe in the Holy Spirt. Thus, I guess I am compelled to say I believe in ghosts.

Care to elaborate?

I mean that not in a negative way, but insomuch as...could you expand what you mean.

Final_Product said:
I belive group psychology can work in this case. People often convince themselves in groups at certain things have happened. Stockholm syndrome is an example.

you just saved me from posting my view about this matter :tickled:

LORD_RED_DRAGON said:
if aliens and ghosts do not exist, then how do you explain the things that happened in your brother's house???
i'm not being a smart-ass, i'm actually asking you a question

Over active imagination, forgetting that you've done something (when there's only one perso involved), hearing things. A mild case of paranoia, well not paranoia as such because that a mental illness, but when you think someone is watching you and there's nobody there. The wind is also a viable explanation for some of it, and just the house being old. Having said all of this, a lot of people that haven't been told anything about it really don't like the house and some refuse to stay there on their own. Some religions, christain religions included, do not believe in ghosts so much as demonic spirits who are satans 'angels' for want of a better word, who can appear as the ghost of someone who's passed away. They can also done mischievous things, such as move things, throw books of shelves and so on, and there are incidents which I've been told about concerning groups of people witnessing such 'phenomenon'. As I said before I am sceptical about it all, but to me the second theory is just as likely as the ghost theory, although it depends on the religion aspect.