Ghosts

Devy_Metal said:
ghosts simply dont exist. theyre fictional, made up entities that people conjure from their own imaginations for different reasons. most of it is subconscious.

I'm tempted to say ghosts do exist, insomuch as - for a variety of reasons - people truly believe they have seen them.

Ghosts as an independent entity, I'm gonna say: nope.

I still think those that believe in Ghosts and Aliens are generally those of lesser intelligence, and those that possess some bizarre impetus towards irrational faith.

Personally, Ive noticed these superstitious ideas are generally most popular with those with lesser brain power; the eternal peasants of the world.

Occasionaly, when used as counterpoints to explore the depths of human psychology and society, they make for excellent entertainment however (as in HG Wells, Hamlet, films like Forbidden Planet and 2001, Menippean satire, etc).

speed said:
I still think those that believe in Ghosts and Aliens are generally those of lesser intelligence, and those that possess some bizarre impetus towards irrational faith.

Personally, Ive noticed these superstitious ideas are generally most popular with those with lesser brain power; the eternal peasants of the world.

Occasionaly, when used as counterpoints to explore the depths of human psychology and society, they make for excellent entertainment however (as in HG Wells, Hamlet, films like Forbidden Planet and 2001, Menippean satire, etc).
Believing in ghosts, I can understand, but are you telling me that believing that life can exist on other planets is a sign of lesser intelligence? I think it's very plausible to believe life exists elsewhere, seriously. Now, if you're talking about alien abduction, this is an entirely different case and I would be more enclined into agreeing with you.

AsModEe said:
Believing in ghosts, I can understand, but are you telling me that believing that life can exist on other planets is a sign of lesser intelligence? I think it's very plausible to believe life exists elsewhere, seriously. Now, if you're talking about alien abduction, this is an entirely different case and I would be more enclined into agreeing with you.

I'd bargain that he is referring to alien abduction/the plethora of wacky conspiracy theories.

Neith said:
Often when I'm at my brothers' house, things seem much weirder and spookier when ghosts and the weird things have been up for discussion. Even stupid things like the wind blowing a door open can seem 'paranormal' if you've just been discussing. Maybe this happens with the group sessions? Once you've discussed something seriously, it is easy to blow a regular thing into a weird phenomenon.
i'm not talking about people forgeting where they've put stuff and then thinking a ghost moved it or thinkink that they've turned an oven off and then thinking that a ghost turned it back on when it was never turned off to begin with...i'm talking about people actually seeing the ghost moving stuff like knives and carving words into the stomachs of the people that the don't like i've actually seen ghosts carving cryptic words into wooden doors

AsModEe said:
how can you believe in ghosts but not aliens??? what about all those unexplainable scars/malformations in bones/pieces of metal found in abductees??? aren't these things just as common, if not more so, than the knife wielding ghosts that carve stuff with whitnesses???

AsModEe said:
huh?????? What tells you all of this isn't made up? Do you believe everything you read/see?
i'm totally sure there's at least some of it that's made up, but how can you say that it's ALL made up??? how can you say that there aren't some real ghost/alien experiences in addition to all the hoaxes??? did you (or anyone else) actually google-search the term "allagash four"??? (in the alien/UFO thread) how can you seriously study that case and say it was a hoax???

speed said:

Lord Red Dragon, your fantastic B-movie claims, and your blind faith in idiocy that you keep reiterating with every post, merely proves my point. Frankly, you come off as a half-crazed hick, hastily typing away on a dial up computer in your trailer, while munching on moon pies.

I'd laugh with you if I wasnt already confident you believe the jibberish you form in your second grade sentences--on a good day when you actually create sentences. However, I can only laugh at you; and, I wonder whether I should pity you at times.

But who knows, maybe--and this a ridiculous statement I am about to make--maybe you will be just like the Randy Quaid character in Independence Day (Surely a high brow movie you've seen LRD), and you will have the last laugh as the aliens abduct me, and the ghosts kill me. Just maybe; it would work as a plotline for a old Twilight Zone episode.

speed said:

Did you realize that the presence of a ghost is actually measureable?

And I find the Condecending tone in some of your posts to be nothing more then you flexing your ego through opinions.

So what if you have never had experiences with apparitions. It doesn't mean that they do not exist. And I also find that you have no knowledge of this subject yet post like you know for a fact that it isn't real.

Its almost like saying Japan doesn't exist simply because you have never been there. But if people say they have been there, can tell you stories about being there, you will still not believe them simply because you don't believe it exists.

It wasn't to long ago that scientists believed that the earth was flat and the sun revolved around the earth. As with anything. The more you learn the more you should realize that you know nothing.

How does that quote go? "The fool thinks he's a wise man where the wise man knows he's a fool"

Silver Incubus said:
And I find the Condecending tone in some of your posts to be nothing more then you flexing your ego through opinions.

So what if you have never had experiences with apparitions. It doesn't mean that they do not exist. And I also find that you have no knowledge of this subject yet post like you know for a fact that it isn't real.

Its almost like saying Japan doesn't exist simply because you have never been there. But if people say they have been there, can tell you stories about being there, you will still not believe them simply because you don't believe it exists.

It wasn't to long ago that scientists believed that the earth was flat and the sun revolved around the earth. As with anything. The more you learn the more you should realize that you know nothing.

How does that quote go? "The fool thinks he's a wise man where the wise man knows he's a fool"

+1 .

Silver Incubus said:
Did you realize that the presence of a ghost is actually measureable? And I find the Condecending tone in some of your posts to be nothing more then you flexing your ego through opinions. So what if you have never had experiences with apparitions. It doesn't mean that they do not exist. And I also find that you have no knowledge of this subject yet post like you know for a fact that it isn't real. Its almost like saying Japan doesn't exist simply because you have never been there. But if people say they have been there, can tell you stories about being there, you will still not believe them simply because you don't believe it exists. It wasn't to long ago that scientists believed that the earth was flat and the sun revolved around the earth. As with anything. The more you learn the more you should realize that you know nothing. How does that quote go? "The fool thinks he's a wise man where the wise man knows he's a fool"
wow i'm seriously dazzled at your ability to so perfectly articulate my exact thoughts for me
also
i remember another quote that seemed sort of aplicable here
"the first step to becoming knowlegable is admiting that you know nothing"

Silver Incubus said:
Did you realize that the presence of a ghost is actually measureable?

In that respect I could also say you are not a Christian because God has not revealed himself to you yet.

Pretty falicious analogy.

The point being made is that people are all too ready to believe in ghosts, aliens, conspiracy theories when there might indeed be different explanations. Ghostly experience, I'm sure, could be explained by science. Psychology can also explain away a great deal of alien abduction claims also.

Point is: Don't preach about ignorance when you sit smugly in the notion that you've seen ghosts and us poor folks have not. That makes you almost as bad as Billy-Joe evangelist.

Final_Product said:
In that respect I could also say you are not a Christian because God has not revealed himself to you yet.

Point is: Don't preach about ignorance when you sit smugly in the notion that you've seen ghosts and us poor folks have not. That makes you almost as bad as Billy-Joe evangelist.

My point is that I actually reaseached this subject as well, so I have a better understanding of what may be going on.

Did you know, that there is a place in America, where a bus full of kids got killed when their bus stalled on some tracks. And that if you put somekind of powder on your bumper, and stop on the tracks, put your car/truck/van in neutral, and your car will start moving on its own, leaving hand prints of little children on your bumper?

Now explain that, hard physical evidence, on imagination. Or what about the whole poltergist phenomia, where objects move, or actually fly across a room without anyone touching them?

Final_Product said:
The point being made is that people are all too ready to believe in ghosts, aliens, conspiracy theories when there might indeed be different explanations. Ghostly experience, I'm sure, could be explained by science. Psychology can also explain away a great deal of alien abduction claims also.
this is how i feel about Christianity, people are all too willing to believe in "God" when there are more logical explinations for the things that are going on in their lives
for example when someone says "it was 'fate' when i met you", it was prolly something closer to "the collective unconcious" than an actuall deity and as for ghosts and aliens there's really much more evidence to support those ideas than evidence to support the idea that the Christian god is the "real" one