Gig Review

Black_paragon

all moths must DIE
Jul 16, 2003
South West England
Just got back ten minutes ago, thought you guys would like a little review.

The band came on nicely late (to absolutely roaring screams of opeth! opeth! opeth!) and started with the damnation set. It was practically flawless... mikael was more attentive and seemed to be enjoying himself more than the last time I saw them. A good couple of minutes of new music was added to 'closure', a psychedelic semi-drum solo finally building to the finishing riff. Harvest slotted inbetween ending credits and weakness.

Intermission - at this point moved from the front to the bar for a drink, then found a decent spot for the second set and waited for the band. Opening with masters apprentices (to my surprise) the heavy set really stomped the shit out of anything I've seen before - including the last time I saw opeth. There were a good few confused looking middle aged men and women in the balconys and around the back of the crowd..... obviously bought damnation on a whim and probably wondered why there were so many metal fans there \m/ :)
Mikael bantered with the crowd a lot, finishing on a spectacular rendition of a fair judgement (helped enormously by the way above average sound of the set) then came back out for an encore, going into an odd jazzy thing I didn't recognise, with mikael speaking very quickly in what sounded like french, then telling the audience to repeat it back to him.... :D. Demon of the fall beat its way into the head and heart of every fan in the audience..... the entire standing section was a huge pit of jumping, headbanging, moshing screaming fans.... the encore cries beforehand were the strongest I've ever heard for a band, everyone in the place furiously stamping their feet, screaming and clapping.

The dvd will be amazing, I'll be looking out for myself and anyone who didn't go to the show, I hope the amazing energy and atmosphere of the night comes across. Aboslutely breathtaking and without a doubt the best set I've ever seen a band play.

Great.

Reactions: Dvoters
Cool simple review dude,the show was amazing.

Did any of you guys meet up,im sure we all walked by each other shit loads of times.

What you said about the atmosphere was just right,im not even sure if the encore was planned,seems that Mike and Peter came out and retuned their guitars.But the amount of people begging for more was incredible.

When the band came out for the first time,it was pure vocal mayhem from everyone,ive never heard that much noise in a venue of that size.

I was well pleased to see that Peter was using a GT-6. i jsut bought one of these a couple of weeks ago and havn't really had the chance to fiddle with it. It sounded amazing! Mickael was using the GT-3 as usual but I have to say that Peter's gutiar sound was one of the best I have ever heared. Also Mickael's tone for Ending Credits was fucking beautiful.

Erm, if I remember correctly it was:

Windowpane
In My Time Of Need
Death Whispered A Lullaby
Closure
Hope Leaves
To Rid The Disease
Ending Credits
Harvest
Weakness

Intermission

Master's Apprentices
The Drapery Falls
Deliverance
Leper Affinity
A Fair Judgment

Encore was Demon Of The Fall, although it will probably not appear on the dvd.

they filmed it, my guess is that they'll get it on the dvd as 'deleted scenes' (a few bands get away with doing this) they'll cough up to candlelight, or it won't be included but they'll use it as promotional material for the dvd, eg release it on the website so people can see the quality of the dvd....

thats the setlist? you got to be shitting me, all this pump on a dvd for this? i am very very disapointed,, ,, whoever commented bout demon of the fall and copyright problems, i think music for nations owns candlelight's ass in this case anyway haha but damn this sucks,

what i dont undertstand is each disc is like a hour and act like its 2 sets,, my ass, only bands i think that should do hour sets are ones wit drummers out of this world like hate eternal, cryptopsy, morbid angel etc. a set should be a hour and a half or longer, i dont understand why opeth only play hour and a half the max all the time. Comon opeth, ive paid so much for ur asses this year and would like al little more