Give me a rundown of a typical opeth show

the rick

New Metal Member
Well, this will be my first (and hopefully not last) time seeing Opeth on the 31st in san francisco :cool:

I guess I'm just after a "What to expect" list. I'd like to buy maybe a shirt or something (if they sell the larger sizes like 2x :p ) and i'm wondering what the typical crowd is like?

I'm kinda a vet of "hardcore" shows and I'd imagine this would be quite different and hopefully minus the fighting and arm swinging.

Lets hear it :D

Opeth's shows are more of a "stand where you are, enjoy the show, and headbang to full extent" type of show. Obviously, many people from different crowds are now part of the Opeth "fanbase," so i really don't know what to expect when I see them in L.A. Feb. 3rd... the uncertain standpoint on this subject is making me cream my pants!

the rick - here (san francisco) there are a crapload of Opeth fans. All of them are pretty damned mellow, as in they will not smash your head in during a song (woohoo!). They tend to stand there, banging their heads in parts, singing along in parts... It was quite surreal the last three times I saw them. Some of these people you'd NEVER guess they would be the type to "sing along" at a show! :) It'll be quite squashed at the Pound though. The guys do bring a bit of merch with them, this time they're supposed to have a LOT more than the last tour. But you know how that goes. I don't know if they'll have any 2XL shirts. I can find out if you like though. Find me at the show and say hi! :wave:

i think opeth live is quite boring...i have never went to a show, i only listened to some live files...and...and...nothing...they just perform all the songs like they do in the studio version and that's all...i expect more from a live show...

They're just a mellow band, so they play as they are. You don't have hair flying all over the place (unless you're Lopez)... It's just a band you can totally appreciate live. You can't go expecting all hell to break loose or anything like a normal metal show would have. Then it wouldn't be Opeth. Some may say they are boring live, but they are there to play the music.

yes, if i'm going to see them live, it'll be just more to watch them playing.

I completely understand why someone would say they are boring live, but I think it would also be very difficult to play anything different live since the band is already unique/complicated enough as is. At least they sound like the cd and not worse!!! hahaha :) If a band as diverse as Opeth is can pull off what they play on cd live in concert, then they definitely have my attention and respect!

"We are Opeth from Stockholm..."

Always!

I think their live shows are quite hypnotizing......as in a great experience...

Originally posted by Duvall
You want spectacle? Go see Phantom of the Opera.

You want amazing music performed in front of you by Opeth themselves, then shut yer cakehole and enjoy.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was just mesmorized at their phoenix show last time thru. I wish I would have been at that milwaukee metalfest performance when they were impressed with the little old americans acting as if they were a european metal crowd:)

Have you tried to buy tickets for their new phoenix show on feb. 2? Ticket master won't admit the concert exists and I can't contact the place they're performing at! Am I missing something here?

So to sum it all up. An Opeth show in San Francisco...as I have been to one ...is pretty mellow and relaxed, but it will still have awesome music and intensity making it quite enjoyable. It'll be different for sure, but San Francisco is pretty different overall for concerts.

Originally posted by Squeak
here (san francisco) there are a crapload of Opeth fans. All of them are pretty damned mellow, as in they will not smash your head in during a song (woohoo!). They tend to stand there, banging their heads in parts, singing along in parts... It was quite surreal the last three times I saw them. Some of these people you'd NEVER guess they would be the type to "sing along" at a show! :) It'll be quite squashed at the Pound though. The guys do bring a bit of merch with them, this time they're supposed to have a LOT more than the last tour. But you know how that goes. I don't know if they'll have any 2XL shirts. I can find out if you like though.

I think I may cry. :) I'm so freakin looking forward to this concert.

I have seen them twice. I was at their Milwaukee Metalfest performance, and that was a great fucking show! I think what impressed them the most is that all of us were chanting Opeth before they came on stage like they were some "arena rock" band! As far as what to expect, the best band on the planet playing their stuff for you. My one complaint is that both times I have seen them they played 45 minute sets. I understand why, but they're headlining this tour so I expect at least 90 minutes!

Originally posted by Squeak
I completely understand why someone would say they are boring live, but I think it would also be very difficult to play anything different live since the band is already unique/complicated enough as is. At least they sound like the cd and not worse!!! hahaha :) If a band as diverse as Opeth is can pull off what they play on cd live in concert, then they definitely have my attention and respect!

That's exactly what I was hoping for! I wasn't hoping to have to deal with fights and flying crap (especially shoes!) etc et c:)

Good news for sure!!!!!!! I really do appreciate a band that can play live instead of just on cd. I have seen a ton of bands that just can't pull off live what they can on a cd and it's just horrible to watch. I'm not hoping for a 100% replica of a cd but at least sing in the correct rythem damnit!! :p

Does opeth make jackets? I could use a new one :cool:

-rick